Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Websitey help please- GIF or PNG for rollover images?
  • tomdebruin
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Just got to work out why one of the pages won’t align to centre, only in IE Windoze…

The “proper” way to align to center is to set the left and right margin to auto in the CSS.

e.g.

<div style="margin:0 auto;">
    blah balh
    </div>

Make sure you are in “Standards Compliant Mode” in IE or you’ll get all kind of weird rendering behaviour that is different from Firefox.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

Actually I think that simon is right, albeit that it’s not usually referred to as aliasing in this context.

I think the blurring is an artefact caused because the frequency of the sampling used by the JPG compression is lower than the frequency of the original image.

In other words if the JPG compression squares were small enough (i.e. high frequency enough) then the blurring would disappear – but the file size would increase.

Well if that’s the case Graham, then Simon’s definition of aliasing and Bez’s definition of compression artefacting are basically the same thing, and we’re all just talking at crossed purposes. I think Bez’s original point, about using the appropriate file format for the job, still stands though.

Hi Bez, how’s tricks?

GrahamS

we’re all just talking at crossed purposes. I think Bez’s original point, about using the appropriate file format for the job, still stands though.

Agreed and agreed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

RB you had no idea what a can of worms you were spilling did you ?

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

Had a bit of mild panic, as I’d forgotten the address of the site, so coon’t access it, but all calmed down now.

😆

Seat-of-the-pants web design, a la Rudeboy…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Seat-of-the-pants web design

more like “clueless numpty-boy” :o)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh! I think SFB has it to a tee! It’s on a testing server, so strings of numbers, rather than easy to remember names. Silly Billy here forgot to make a note of the addy… 🙄

As for ‘can of worms’, well, my two can’t agree, so I woon’t expect people on here to!

Bez

Hi Bez, how’s tricks?

Good, ta. Waiting to see what you boys are planning to follow the Wight Diamond with 🙂

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

Waiting to see what you boys are planning to follow the Wight Diamond with

Yes, we’re waiting to see that too…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Websitey help please- GIF or PNG for rollover images?’ is closed to new replies.