Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Weather wise is your winter normal?
  • zippykona

On the fatty face book page they are showing bikes in snow in the Lakes (I think).
    Normal stuff for February.
    Here in Surrey I’ve just cut the grass and have washing on the line.
    Hoping it’s just a darn sarf thing and not the end of the world.

scotroutes

Nope.

Much milder and therefore wetter than normal. Also means less snow.

(Cairngorms – but a similar story throughout Scotland)

One snowy ride does not a winter make

jam-bo

devon + mild rain = winter
    devon + slightly milder rain = summer

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pissing down, freezing and 70 mph winds so, yeah, perfectly normal

MoreCashThanDash

Mild and wet here in the East Midlands. Probably no wetter than normal, but much milder. Grass hasn’t really stopped growing, had two light dustings of snow that were both gone by the lunchtime.

Very few frosty rides, sadly.

footflaps

Very mild in East Anglia so far this winter, in fact it’s more like winter never happened and autumn is just blurring into Spring….

Edukator
    Free Member

Pyrenees are warm and humid, it’s the season with the highest snow line I can remember. 13°C and drizzle on the plain now. It’s an El Nino year.

Drac

No snow here but that’s normal for winter despite what people see in Xmas cards.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Nope, my winter is **** bizarre!

SNOW! HOT! SNOW! HOT! SNOW!

ahwiles
    Free Member

based on my own flawed judgement:

Warmer than usual (hardly any frost).

roughly ‘normal’ amounts of wind and rain.

Sheffield fwiw.

johndoh
    Free Member

The warmest day over the winter I have noted was 14 degrees (Harrogate).

My brother in law lives in Melbourne where it is their summer (obviously) and a couple of weeks ago it was only 17 degrees (the day before it was 43 degrees though) :-O

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to say no.

For the most part it’s been very mild, I recall defrosting the car twice this winter, I’ve riden in the Snow once and I think that was the only sub-0c ride I’ve had and I’m out every week at least.

On the flip side when it’s been bad it’s been very bad, not frost and snow but these storms, so much rain and wind!

The forecast for this week is dry, not to windy and 8-10c, really very good for this time of year – storms aside it’s probably been the easiest winter’s riding in 10 years of my MTBing.

richmtb

doublepost

househusband

I’d say massive fluctuations in temperature but persistently windier and wetter than many I can recall.

richmtb

Wettest December on record in Scotland, so no

Very little in the way of cold weather as well.

I think a grand total of three frosty mornings so far. So yes a bit weird

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

yep its pretty normal. usual bout of man flu and a few coughs and sneezes.. nothing out of the ordinary. Had turkey for christmas and drank mulled wine, put on a few pounds and drank too much.! No snow for 3 years!

maccruiskeen

Most of the weather you’d expect to get in winter – except for frost

ransos
    Free Member

I’d say massive fluctuations in temperature but persistently windier and wetter than many I can recall.

Yep. I saw a 15 degree temperature swing in two successive mornings the other week. Overall though, it’s been extremely mild, wet and fairly windy. More like a cruddy April than winter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hants South Coast = wet & windy 78% of the year, it’s just the break in the clouds and the temps that change, and not by a huge amount these days either.

wicki
    Free Member

Mid France and according to the locals wetter and warmer,watched a story on French telly that the Bordeaux vineyards are changing grape varieties because of the weather change,now that’s not scare mongering you don’t rip a vineyard out for fun.

GrahamS

Really been pretty mild this year in Northumberland. Feels much warmer and wetter than “normal”.

Only scraped the car on a couple of mornings and we’ve had precious little snow. Plenty of buds and shoots starting to come though already.

butcher

Very warm up until January. I’m hoping I’ve saved a load of money on heating bills, but it’s probably more the case that our energy provider have saved a load of money and I’ll not see a penny of it.

Anyway…yeah, it’s been, warm, muddy, and shit, mostly.

mt
    Free Member

Warm, very very wet, windyish. Pretty depressing really all this soggy weather. Still there is time for a good few very cold days.

tomd
    Free Member

Seemed like an easy and mild Autumn gave way to endless storms, pishing rain and mad temperature swings. Records have been set for warmest days and wettest days so must be unusual.

East of Scotland here. Best laugh was yesterday my wife wanted to go for a local mtb ride and asked if I thought the woods would be muddy. I think it went past saturated 2 months ago and it’s still raining.

jools182
    Free Member

It’s been pretty much the same all year here

Cold, dark, wet

It’s not as cold as it should be for early feb

gordimhor

Mild wet windy less snow than the last few years hardly any really cold days. Kinlochleven

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pretty normal here. Well, besides the fact that winter has lasted approximately 17 months so far…

iainc

Another in west of Scotland here and as said earlier, not normal, milder, less frost and snow and definitely wetter. Natural local trails at Mugdock are worst mudfest I have seen since starting riding there 15 years ago..

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice and warm down here in London. I’m a bit over this wind though!

squirrelking
    Free Member

True actually, now I think about it I’ve only had to defrost once this winter.

Must be me, buy winter tyres, no snow. Buy quick clear screen, no frost.

footflaps

Our BBQ has now been blown over twice this winter, so that’s set a new record.

grannyjone
    Free Member

In Greater Manchester it has been much wetter than normal and wind speeds have been higher than normal. The number of “snow days” has been way below average. Only had about 4 so far. The number of nights of frost and occurrences of minus temperatures has also been VERY below average. It is comparable to the Winter of 2013-2014.

scotroutes

Well, it’s blowing a hoolie – again – here tonight. 60mph gusts at street level and 149mph on the hill already and it’s scheduled to get worse.

zippykona

Sleep safe.

burko73

Was still mowing lawn in December in between torrential rain. Had a few 16 degree days in December and a few 15 degree days in jan. This is nr southampton. I have a log business and we’ve been quiet and the moist air makes drying logs, even in a massive draughty barn difficult. The ground is saturated everywhere and 13 degrees forecast today.

RoterStern
    Free Member

-10 is a normal temperature for this time of the year. It’s plus 11 today! 😯 8)

SaxonRider

Another one for ‘not as cold as it should be, but dark, windy and wet’.

I actually can’t remember a winter in 11 years in Cardiff with this many storms in succession.

I probably hate our current weather more than any other possibility. The only way I could imagine it getting worse would be if it remained as wet and windy, but the temperature dropped as well.

Ugh. Cold, wet, and windy.

mogrim

A lot warmer and not as wet as it should be in central Spain. Haven’t seen snow yet near my house, although there’s a bit in the nearby mountains. Not enough to open the ski slopes, though.

rocketman
    Free Member

Again going by ice on the car it’s been pretty much the same as last year which in itself was milder and wetter than previous years (Middle England)

The last couple of Winters we haven’t had any kind of weather that’s lasted more than a few days

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Weather wise is your winter normal?’ is closed to new replies.