Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 300 total)
  • We have ‘car brain’ in the UK
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

which is a valid observation. what amount of the population would use their free time to become fit enough for daily cycle transport? Not just via bike riding, there will be people who are fit from various hobbies. But not a large chunk of the populace, I wager.

How long would that ‘transition’ take though? A week, a month, a day? Riding <5 miles is realistically within the fitness of all but the physically disabled and morbidly obese. 5miles is barely enough to qualify as the 30 minutes moderate exercise that it’s recommended everyone does daily. They might be slow, and a bit uncomfortable on their Sports Direct BSO, but they’ll make it.

Edukator
    Free Member

My view of ICE is that they are along way from perfect, but they are all we have at the moment

FFS we have extremely good BEVs. Visit Renault, Tesla, Fiat, Peugeot, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Kia… .

If you keep your 7-year-old diesel another seven years it’ll burn about 3 times its weight in diesel which can’t be recycled and will greehouse the planet. I think you are overestimating the CO2 payback period on a BEV. And you’ll contribute to the foul stinking poisonous air we breathe.

You’d change because you care about the air quality people you drive past breathe and the kind of planet your kids will be living on.

Flaperon

I still take the car so drive 80% of the distance from home to the city centre to get to the car park.

Yes, but by using the park and ride you’re reducing both the congestion and pollution in the city centre. The fewer cars in city centres the more efficiently a bus network runs.

Public transport is not a panacea and it won’t offer a door to door service. Interesting to see the damage done to London by black cab mafia.

funkmasterp

It’s a very tricky one given the country seems to be geared towards car usage. I’m lucky in that I work from three sites. One I can walk or casually cycle to (about two miles), one is a 15 minute train journey after a 25 minute walk to the station. The last one, however, sees me driving.

It’s only 11 miles away so within cycling distance. The issues are that it involves traveling down the A6 and there are no showers. I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s not great tbh. Most folk wouldn’t even consider it an option. Changing that mindset and providing adequate facilities at the destination are two of many obstacles.

molgrips
    Free Member

My view of ICE is that they are along way from perfect, but they are all we have at the moment

What the hell took my wife to work and back for 40p today then?

Riding <5 miles is realistically within the fitness of all but the physically disabled and morbidly obese.

I think you’d be surprised when there are hills involved, and that’s ignoring any traffic problems that might exist. And the desire to do that in all weathers when you don’t need to isn’t exactly common

poolman
    Free Member

I live near a school, school pick up time a long line of cars with engines idling with 1 driver in. I know it’s cold but I bet it’s the same in summer with air con.

A local housing Dev was denied planning permission, one of the objections was increased vehicle traffic passing said school.

Sad really, the parents sitting in idling cars are the very ones who s kids will be struggling to buy houses in future.

As said on page 1, 1 family drive about 300 metres to drop kids off. I really hope they are going onwards to work after.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think you’d be surprised when there are hills involved, and that’s ignoring any traffic problems that might exist. And the desire to do that in all weathers when you don’t need to isn’t exactly common

I think you need to re-frame that in a few ways
    1) The traffic is only bad because people in cars. Remove people from cars and there’s no bad traffic. Each person on a bike is one less car and one step closer to the critical mass required to get everyone away from saying “but the traffic is too bad to ride a bike”.
    2) “don’t need to”. Other than the global warming issue and the air pollution need to, and the obesity epidemic need to and the financial and societal costs of the above. Apart from that there’s no need to get anyone out of their cars.

LAT

BUt they’re going to need to do something because revenue from fuel duty and “road tax” will fall dramatically as the shift to EV and hybrid increases.

i suspect that fuel duty will be added to the electricity used to power vehicles and road tax will be levied on electric cars.

i believe it was thatcher who declared that cars were good for the economy. it was a government policy to get people driving and it worked and it is now part of the UK culture.

funkmasterp

I think you need to re-frame that in a few ways
    1) The traffic is only bad because people in cars. Remove people from cars and there’s no bad traffic. Each person on a bike is one less car and one step closer to the critical mass required to get everyone away from saying “but the traffic is too bad to ride a bike”.
    2) “don’t need to”. Other than the global warming issue and the air pollution need to, and the obesity epidemic need to and the financial and societal costs of the above. Apart from that there’s no need to get anyone out of their cars.

I understand what you’re trying to get across but molgrips is correct. There is absolutely a need but there is no want. People don’t want to get out of their cars. It adds time and effort to their day. Things will take longer, they’ll have less free time, possibly need to change clothes etc.

It’s clear that most folk don’t care about global warming to the degree that they’re willing to make real change. Therefore how do you get people to want to cycle. Including in the rain and in the dark and cold winter months? Because you’re fat and killing the planet isn’t doing it so what will?

Edukator
    Free Member

i suspect that fuel duty will be added to the electricity used to power vehicles

Impractical because that will also stop lighting their home office and cooking, and even if you do people will use off-grid solar to charge.

Taxation will have to be very blunt, a car tax, or more sophisticated, a black box.

crazy-legs

People don’t want to get out of their cars. It adds time and effort to their day. Things will take longer, they’ll have less free time, possibly need to change clothes etc.

Because we (as a country) have spent the last 60+ years building everything around making the car as convenient as possible, making sure there’s a shedload of free parking, designing roads, neighbourhoods and towns around free movement of cars, not free movement of people.

We’re trying to undo that and every step – every single attempt to remove some parking, restrict some traffic, add a bike lane – is being fought tooth and nail. People can’t (or don’t want to) imagine anything other than driving. Cycling is hard and you get sweaty and you don’t look cool and there’s nowhere to park the bike and you’d need a shower and the traffic makes it too dangerous..and…and
    Every excuse under the sun.

Some of it, notably the traffic one, is actually valid so you need to reduce the traffic and/or provide segregated facilities but that means taking away precious car space so it gets opposed and we’re back at stage 1.

funkmasterp

What makes the other points not valid? Facilities is a big one for me. I’d be more inclined to cycle the eleven miles to work if there were adequate facilities.

You need to understand we’re on a cycling forum so pretty predisposed to riding bikes. If I suggested to colleagues investing in a bike, panniers and other kit to ride ten miles or more in all weather I’d simply be ignored or laughed at. You need to change mindsets towards cycling before putting in the infrastructure.

crazy-legs

You need to change mindsets towards cycling before putting in the infrastructure.

Other way around.
    You’ll never change mindset while people are looking out their car windows at lycra folk on fast road bikes zipping in and out of traffic.

That looks dangerous, it’s insane, it’s stupid, how dare they…

No-one driving a car is going to think “ooh, I’ll get a bike, it looks quicker”. They’ll be sat there fuming about reckless cyclists.

Put in proper segregated lanes, enable casual cycling in normal clothes and people will actually think “that looks OK”. That’s the mindset change.

funkmasterp

I disagree completely but such is the nature of forum debate. The extra time and riding in shit weather have been the main drivers for not doing so when I’ve asked colleagues. That and the fact they just don’t own a bike or cycle any other time.

Again, I’m assuming you’re a cyclist like me and therefore enjoy it. That’s simply not the case for a lot of people. Sticking in some cycling lanes won’t convince folk to start riding any real distances to work. Couple of miles at a push for most.

matt_outandabout

People can’t (or don’t want to) imagine anything other than driving. Cycling is hard and you get sweaty and you don’t look cool and there’s nowhere to park the bike and you’d need a shower and the traffic makes it too dangerous..and…and

This is a very real thing in my view. There’s not apathy, there’s strong resistance to anything other than car taking primacy.

irc

Cycle lanes are all very well but I haven’t been out on my bike for the last week because of the risk of ice.

With the change in weather I got out today for a ride across Glasgow and back. I used a few sections where there are excellent segregated cycle lanes. Didn’t see more than one other cyclist using them.

https://goo.gl/maps/xuDuxvcvLdK695XQ8

https://goo.gl/maps/uuK1LDJ6A7F9YGAVA

On th other hand a road I used to use has been ruined by a poor quality facility. With 6 lanes in a 30mph area sharing the road was never a problem. Now part of the inside lane has been seperated by bollards so the vehicle tyres no longer sweep the crap off it and it is a poorly drained puncture magnet. Now I avoid it.

https://goo.gl/maps/dRqteySokpmtrjCY7

From November to March I think you will struggle in the Scottish climate to persuade people to adopt cycling as a commuting mode.

In the spirit of giving credit where it is due I have noticed these secure bike lockers have appeared all over the city. To avoid anyone living in a flat needing to carry their bike upstairs and store in in a flat. Assuming the locks are a decent standard and it is a low end bike being stored they look like a good idea.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=26991

funkmasterp

So how would we change that thinking? One of the big issues in my opinion is working hours and location. A lot of folk travel long distances to work long hours. The idea of tacking on another hour or more to that each day just doesn’t appeal to most folk. To be honest I can see why.

What are other countries doing that we aren’t?

Cycling is hard and you get sweaty and you and you’d need a shower and the traffic makes it too dangerous..and…and

These bits are actually valid though are they not? Cycling is hard for people who don’t regularly cycle. I find running hard because I don’t ever run. The shower thing is just sensible if any sort of distance is involved. Christ, I work with people who drive to work who I would not want to be anywhere near if they’d cycled and not showered after. It would be a biohazard!

irc

What would encourage me to cycle commute would be good showers and lockers + drying room at work. None of which we have. My work is a good 45-50m ride away. Too far for a gentle non sweaty pootle. As a regular cyclist I would consider it. In fact in a previous job which also had secure bike parking I did bike commute for years. Persuading non cyclists that 45m on the bike at midnight after a lateshift is better than 15m in a nice warm car will take some doing. I only know 1 colleague who rides to work every day. But he is also a club cyclists and track cyclist. Not the demographic that needs convincing.

longdog
    Free Member

I used to work in a planning department in Scotland. So they’re looking at things like 20 minute neighborhoods, increasing active travel, reducing carbon etc.

However, nearly all of them went out to the local supermarket at lunch, all in their own cars, one a 10 minute walk, the other about 20 minute walk.

I suggested we all chip in to get 1 or 2 elephant bikes for our service so people could use them for the short distance to the supermarket or if nipping to the post office etc. We’d be showing a good example, helping a charity, bit of exercise etc. Out of 34 people in the office not one was interested! It would have maybe been £20 each from well paid people to have a couple of office bikes.

Only two of us rode to work when our work schedules required (didn’t need the car for visits) and we had changing rooms, lockers and showers.

Most people are just too lazy, see cycling on roads as too dangerous and not transport. They’d rather go to a gym or sports club if they want to exercise, and happily drive there and back.

Also given where I worked, when they did try to push for more active travel friendly developments, reduced parking and speed limits, and not allow housing development outside of existing settlements the bloody dinosaur councillors would then put a cabosh on that and approve the developments! We even had a case where Roads were going to reduce a speed limit to encourage active travel (as was in their powers to do without involving committees) and the Councillors played hell and stopped it complaining they’d not had a say.

Just look at all the trouble with the Spaces for People funding during COVID. Our authority couldn’t even get and agreement to spend the £200k they were allocated because of people complaining it would cause issues for cars. It seems most of what did go in in other places has now been removed .

Cougar

The argument that increasing the cost of driving would impact the poorest is a non sequitur because “poor” people already don’t drive.

PoorER then. Being poor or not isn’t a binary condition.

Making things more expensive does not affect everyone equally, it hits those with less money the hardest. Making fuel £3.50/litre or whatever will cripple those of lower income who may rely on it as a lifeline, whereas the rich simply won’t care and will carry on driving their 7L Mercedeseses. It’s encouraging a tiered system of privilege and we have enough of that already.

As I said before, if you want to reduce car usage then you have to provide a viable, attractive alternative. I consider buses an absolute last resort because they’re often pretty grim and badly in need of cleaning, adding the stigma of being the poor man’s transport isn’t going to help with that. (Hell, the last time I got a minicab it stank of stale fags, I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.)

Cougar

One of the big issues in my opinion is working hours and location. A lot of folk travel long distances to work long hours.

I had hoped that one of the positives from covid might have been that this mentality would change.

alpin
    Free Member

The traffic is only bad because people in cars…….

…… “but the traffic is too bad to ride a bike”.

Yup.. Massive mental leap needs to be made there by most people.

Be the problem or the change.

People don’t want to get out of their cars. It adds time and effort to their day.

The key word here being effort. People are lazy wot nots and will almost always look for an easy excuse. They need pushing in the right direction. More stick, less carrot.

My wife (as an occasional cyclist who does a bunch of other physical activity) refuses to ride my cargo bike as its too heavy for her to be able to manouver easily, especially with kids onboard, and its not geared in a way that she’d make it up hills.

I know several mums in Munich who ride non-assisted cargo bikes, and they just accept that it’ll take a bit longer. I know even more who have e-assisted cargo bikes.

She’s unfit because she doesn’t ride, not because she’s a woman. Surely you can appreciate that?

No. Only one of those “issues” cannot be changed.

Yeah, I know, I’m a dick.

funkmasterp

I had hoped that one of the positives from covid might have been that this mentality would change.

You and me both Cougar. The slide back to presenteeism has been sad to see. I’m lucky where I work that there is an expectation to be in two days. I’m normally in different locations each day and rarely WFH

I don’t know if the situation will change as a lot of senior management don’t like it and would prefer everyone back full time. I think it’s a generational thing to some degree.

molgrips
    Free Member

“don’t need to”. Other than the global warming issue and the air pollution need to, and the obesity epidemic need to and the financial and societal costs of the above. Apart from that there’s no need to get anyone out of their cars.

You misunderstand. People don’t think they need to cycle, so they won’t, when there is a nice warm easy car on the driveway to get into.

In London, many people don’t have cars because public transport is so good. Then cycling is cheaper, so they often cycle but they have great PT to fall back on. Few people want to cycle every single day unless forced to. Sometimes it’s snowing and icy, sometimes it’s blowing a gale, sometimes it’s pouring, sometimes you are just dead tired.

So I think what we need is massive PT investment. That way, you’ll see people moving to one car or even no car households, and then the situation is ripe for getting more cycling in when it’s a nice day and/or you can save some cash but you still have a backup. Better still, integrated PT/cycling where you can put your bike on a train or bus. Or even your scooter for that matter.

Shout out to the Welsh Government for actually attempting this, by the way.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Seems to me a lot is already being done to try and get people out of their cars, but on the sly. No big vote-losing schemes like making fuel £10 per litre, but rather the endless tweaks and faffing that genuinely make driving an absolute ballache, in cities at least (But still not as bad as cycling in the rain or sharing expensive, unreliable public transport with the great unwashed).

Congestion Charge, CAZ, one-way, road narrowing, closed roads, speed cameras, lack of parking etc etc… you’d think it’d be enough to put off all but the people who actually have to be on the roads, trades, couriers, cabbies etc, but it doesn’t really. People just accept it’s going to take longer. Better to be sat almost stationary in their own warm car than the alternatives.

Cougar

The slide back to presenteeism has been sad to see. I’m lucky where I work that there is an expectation to be in two days. I’m normally in different locations each day and rarely WFH

I don’t know if the situation will change as a lot of senior management don’t like it and would prefer everyone back full time.

I know it’s wildly off-topic but, we need to be pushing back more on this. Flexible working is a legal right (until the Retained EU Law bill potentially, anyway), if an employee wants to work from home and can do so effectively then an employer has to allow it or justify why they can’t, and “senior management don’t like it” isn’t a good enough reason.

In London, many people don’t have cars because public transport is so good.

Public transport in London is exceptional, in both senses of the word. But consider,

1) Population density. The population of London is two thirds greater than the population of Scotland.

2) By the capital’s very nature a lot of those people have places to be, whether that’s their high-powered job in the centre or various amenities. There’s a huge demand for the Tube and similar infrastructure; the party animals are turning in just as the early birds are getting up, the city never stops. Whereas elsewhere in the country it’s Catch-22 – no-one uses public transport because it’s shit, but it’s shit because no-one uses it.

When I was a kid the bus from outside my mum’s house into town (or back) was every half an hour; today I think it’s twice a day. I mentioned earlier about lifelines but for my mum it’s exactly what this is, without that (free to pensioners) bus she’s spending her pension on taxis. I could come over and give her a lift but that strips her of what little independence she has left and in any case I usually don’t have the car during weekdays since becoming a 1-car family. I’m waiting for the day the service is cancelled completely.

Cougar

Incidentally,

What happened to school buses? Are they still a thing at all?

(Again) when I was a kid I used to get the bus from the same aforementioned bus stop outside my mum’s. It was always full. At school there were three other buses that arrived from other directions (and obviously, after school there were four buses taking everyone home again). I don’t recall anything remotely like the chaos of today.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems to me a lot is already being done to try and get people out of their cars, but on the sly. No big vote-losing schemes like making fuel £10 per litre, but rather the endless tweaks and faffing that genuinely make driving an absolute ballache, in cities at least

Re Welsh Government again – there have been many proposals to build the M4 relief road over the years, and it’s come very very close a few times. But ultimately they have decided not to do it, and instead are spending a ton of money on rationalising the PT network across South Wales.

Population density. The population of London is two thirds greater than the population of Scotland.

That only affects the profitability of public transport. It’s not meant to be a money making scheme.

molgrips
    Free Member

What happened to school buses? Are they still a thing at all?

Yes they are run by companies which in our case is Cardiff Bus. They had to cancel a load during austerity but they are still there. They also give you bus fare if you have to take a public bus and the distance is over three miles. My kids (both girls ) would have to walk through some less nice parts of Cardiff down alleys and lanes and it comes in just under 3 miles. Thanks.

longdog
    Free Member

That only affects the profitability of public transport. It’s not meant to be a money making scheme.

But it is a money making scheme. In my previous home the council were totally over a barrel with the local bus companies. Pretty much every time they’d tender for the service they wanted the companies would come in too high (and much higher than before) and so services or whole routes were cut. There was no way we’d get bikes on buses as no one was going to pay for it, certainly not the bus companies free if charge.

Cougar

Perhaps, but it’s not meant to be a money-losing scheme either, is it?

tjagain

its supposed to be a public service.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps, but it’s not meant to be a money-losing scheme either, is it?

Depends. If you want to reduce car usage significantly, then it might well have to be. The reason we don’t have enough now is because it’s not always profitable.

People are happy to have central government cough up for roads, even though road building isn’t profitable, because they understand roads are needed. Well, it’s not specifically roads that we need, it’s transport. So let’s come up with a better way and fund what we need.

tjagain

Public transport in Edinburgh is excellent  around 20 buses an hour pat my door

Whats the common denominator with london?  its a publicly owned service run for the benefit of the citizens.  the only two places in the UK IIRC

chrismac

FFS we have extremely good BEVs. Visit Renault, Tesla, Fiat, Peugeot, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Kia… .

No they don’t. They have hugely expensive ev’s relying on old battery technology that won’t last very long and that no one has a clue what to do with once the battery is useless. They have an extremely short shelf life compared to an ice. No electric car will still be working at 10 years old with it’s original battery. The batteries will all be in landfill and new ones built using some extremely unenvironmentally friendly techniques

No they don’t. They have hugely expensive ev’s relying on old battery technology that won’t last very long and that no one has a clue what to do with once the battery is useless. They have an extremely short shelf life compared to an ice. No electric car will still be working at 10 years old with it’s original battery. The batteries will all be in landfill and new ones built using some extremely unenvironmentally friendly techniques

Shush, you’re spoiling the story

😉

Cougar

They have hugely expensive ev’s relying on old battery technology that won’t last very long and that no one has a clue what to do with once the battery is useless.

And Tesla made the battery structural to the car, which is excellent design in so far as it saves weight, bulk and cost. But (I assume) as soon as the battery is dead you’re stuffed.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are already Tesla’s with hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock. This guy got 180k from his first battery back which had an issue fixed under warranty

https://insideevs.com/news/559261/tesla-models-p85-1500000-kilometers/amp/

Plenty of other stories out there so I call bollocks on your 10 year claim. Your wife’s mates must be those experts-for-hire that keep writing hatchet jobs on things that conservatives don’t like.

Also my EV was 27k although aindidnt buy it. Not hugely expensive by any stretch.

Anyway there’s another thread for that.

Whats the common denominator with london? its a publicly owned service run for the benefit of the citizens. the only two places in the UK IIRC

I do think transport should be publicly owned but that’s not why London is exceptional. The system was developed when the alternatives involved horses and London also happened to be one of the richest places in the world so they could afford to chuck money at it. Also I don’t think it was public when it was built but may be wrong. So yeah be careful of extrapolating from London.

tjagain

Why is Edinburgh exceptional then?  We have a top notch bus service that cost £1.80 for a single journey of any distance, £4.40 for unlimited daily journeys and the network extends well outside the city.  The buses are all newish with increasing numbers of hybrids.  It integrates properly with the train stations, serves all parts of the city rich and poor alike.  Free wifi on all buses, comfy clean and frequent.  the bus drivers are even well trained to co operate with cyclists – some of the most courteous drivers in the city.  Key points like the road outside my flat you get 20+ buses an hour with many services every 5 mins.

the key thing is its publicly owned and run as a service.  No fake competition

tonyf1
    Free Member

Why exceptional you say?

For comparison someone asked on FB about buses running between two market towns (circa 5k population) locally about 8 miles apart. Here’s the exact response.

Three times a week,Monday,Wednesday and Thursday…2 runs each day…look up Community Connexions 278 service…i should know,it’s usually ME driving it on Monday and Wednesday..

That’s run by a charity BTW so no fake competition.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 300 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.