Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 300 total)
  • We have ‘car brain’ in the UK
  • Cougar

The same as they do for Brits (or any other nationality that isn’t their own), plenty of countries have various tags and systems you have to buy or sign upto before you’re allowed on their roads.

Such as?

A mandatory tracking and billing system installed into a car as proposed here is a little different from slapping a (UK) sticker on your bumper and a hi-vis in the glovebox.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Such as?

Swiss Vignette?

Also, that would be what, a thousandth of the cars on the road even if you included lorries? If the objective was just road pricing then you could just read the odometer at the port. You could even make the ‘black box’ look like the cheap discounted option by applying the peak rush hour rate to the odometer reading or buy the black box and get a ‘discount’. It’s somewhere between a non-issue (even the Daily Express hasn’t claimed that immigrants cars are polluting our air), and an easily solved one.

nickjb
    Free Member

Such as?

When travelling across Africa it is pretty common to pick up and fit new number plates at the border when you switch countries. That would be enough for an ANPR system or you could add a little tech

5lab

That would be enough for an ANPR system or you could add a little tech

given the vast majority of cars coming into the country are from europe and have perfectly legible plates, it’d be pretty easy to build an anpr system that can read them all and figure out from markings which country the car is from, tally up the costs and assign them a bill payable at exit from the country. I can only think of non-roman-alphabet characters being an issue, and tbh the number of cars with those is miniscule

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d want something a little harder to duplicate than a number plate. Currently the best thing to do with your car if you start getting speeding and parking fines that aren’t yours is to block the exit to the gendarmerie with your car so it’s towed away and impounded and you can thereby prove it’s not you or your car breaking the law.

crazy-legs

All of that ^^ is relying on tech which is expensive to install, maintain, monitor and process and which requires intervention at national, potentially international, level.

Far and away the cheapest, simplest option is just to make short journeys in particular really bloody difficult. Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, School Streets etc generally don’t impact too much on long journeys but they do make it more difficult to drive your little darling the 500m to the school gates or to “just nip” to the shop at the end of the road.

I agree that EVs are potentially going to make things far worse since they’re exempt from VED, CAZ/ULEZ charges, and there’s the idea that as they’re emissions free it’s fine to just drive them that 500m or so. Therefore it needs to be made impractical to do those kind of short journeys.

chrismac

From my perspective if you make it more and more difficult and expensive to drive into the city centre then I just wont bother going. I have not intention of using the buses and thats the only alternative. It will just mean that I do more and more shopping on line and footfall into the city centres will continue to decline.

As for electric cars the less said the better. My wife spends her whole life helping academics do primary research into how to make electric cars viable. The concensus is that the current approach will not work and will be obsolete within 5 years. Until they come up with a better way of storing the energy than glorified mobile phone batteries stuck together there is no way I, or any of the academics will be buying one.

Edukator
    Free Member

As for electric cars the less said the better.

As you go on to slag off electric cars with no substance beyond a concensus of your wife’s mates can we have your views on ICEs for balance please, chrismac?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

they’re exempt from VED

Don’t hold your breath too long. As soon as those suckers are mainstream they’ll be taxed to the nines.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All of that ^^ is relying on tech which is expensive to install, maintain, monitor and process and which requires intervention at national, potentially international, level.

Have you seen the cost of a car?

The average* is apparently £3.5k a year. And that doesn’t include the additional societal costs of road building/maintenance, healthcare, flooding, etc.

*https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/cheap-car-insurance/average-cost-run-car-uk

Dickyboy

Don’t hold your breath too long. As soon as those suckers are mainstream they’ll be taxed to the nines.

Wasn’t it already in the budget to ved* them from 2025

*Tax but just keeping the pendants happy 😁

Cougar

Swiss Vignette?

So, a sticker then.

Also, that would be what, a thousandth of the cars on the road even if you included lorries? If the objective was just road pricing then you could just read the odometer at the port.

(and other suggestions).

The proposal was to charge drivers a fee per day for car usage. You can’t calculate that from entry and exit odometer readings, nor could you enforce it using some sort of temporary black box that they could just leave in their hotel room for a week (unless that also recorded mileage, sounds costly).

ayjaydoubleyou

If the aim is to reduce the number of cars, then a big fixed annual payment would I think be the way forward. It would get rid of the 2k miles a year trundle into town types, whilst being more cost effective per mile for the journeys for which cars are most useful.

Might convince people to become a 1 car family, or encourage car-club use, combined with public transport, cycling etc.

Or the polar opposite is to have some elaborate pay per mile, black box or ANPR solution where diffrent roads are different prices, varying on time of day. Which, unless implemented perfectly, would result in more or longer journeys as people try to game the system to save money, whilst retaining the sunk cost argument that they already own it so why not drive it.

Cougar

Far and away the cheapest, simplest option is just to make short journeys in particular really bloody difficult. Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, School Streets etc generally don’t impact too much on long journeys but they do make it more difficult to drive your little darling the 500m to the school gates or to “just nip” to the shop at the end of the road.

Honestly, I’d like to see a lot more town centres and residential areas be restricted to pedestrians or residents. Driving to visit my parnter’s daughter, I can take the main roads or I can wind my way through a series of residential side streets. The latter takes, generously, maybe 20 seconds off the journey. No-one should really even be entertaining the idea driving through it.

Similarly, I live on a road parallel to the main road. There is little reason for anyone to be driving down it unless they’re going to / from the houses here. Yet as soon as the main road gets busy it’s like the M6, everyone uses it as a rat-run to dodge the traffic / mini-roundabout.

cookeaa

If there were a tax/tariff system in place that penalises you for using the car on journeys under a specific distance or at particular times I would be all for it.

A near perfect mechanism already exists, we even saw an unintended limited trial of it during the “Fuel Crisis” in 2021. it just needs a government brave enough to crank the price of Dino-juice up to £3.50+ a litre and then keep pegged to inflation.

Successive governments have simply chickened out of using the Fuel price Escalator for it’s intended purpose. They’ve all been too scared of the Mondeo Men’s wrath at the poles.

It’s basically the old Chris Rock Gun control solution but for Cars (headphones if you’re in the office):

Cougar

If the aim is to reduce the number of cars, then a big fixed annual payment would I think be the way forward.

We already have that, it doesn’t stop people buying / leasing new cars.

In any case, what you’re doing here isn’t discouraging people from driving, it’s preventing poor people from driving.

Or the polar opposite is to have some elaborate pay per mile, black box or ANPR solution where diffrent roads are different prices, varying on time of day.

We already have both of those too: fuel duty and toll roads respectively. Pushing people off motorways and onto side streets is probably the opposite of what we want to be doing.

Olly
    Free Member

It depresses me more then anything else. People always use the same excuses “we live out of town, i need to carry tools” blah blah blah. Yes, fine, but i would be interested to know how many people snarling up town actually do need to carry tools, or do live out of town.
    Not my neighbours jumping in the truck to take the kids to a school you can see from the house.
    The school have had a road closed to make school drop off safer, but the same 10 or 20 cock weasles every day seem to think it doesnt apply to them “im just dropping my kids off”. no SHIT sherlock.
    several i know for a fact live maybe 200m way, and i know for a fact then return the cars to the house rather than travel onwards.

And then last week, we had sheet ice. A few people who had the audacity to cycle to school, and a few had the misfortune to take a tumble as you might expect, and on the local Farcebork groups have been hounded for being “wildly irresponsible”, meanwhile few seem to consider that sliding your car down the hill, bumping off parked cars on both sides while pedestrian pupils are walking to school along the adjoining pavement was anything of the sort. Wheel spinning and revving and tooting abounded.

I get it though. We cant all be cargo bike tossers. We are one of a growing number so our 3 wheeler was awesome in the ice and snow. cant fall off it, and light enough to be totally under control.
    And its so reassuring to see them about. We have cargo bike “traffic” now in Exeter. Not at all unusual to be sat at lights with 2 or 3 more, and most comments and waves from drivers and pedestrians are positive. Its changing. Slowly.

mert
    Free Member

Yes, fine, but i would be interested to know how many people snarling up town actually do need to carry tools, or do live out of town.

Around 20-25%.

Most of them (~20%) could be covered by *very* simple alternatives, mostly properly funded public transport (bus, tram, light rail). The 75% who don’t really need to be driving would also be served well by that, and cycling/walking.

The other ~5% really don’t have any other option (long drive, carrying materials, disabled and so on).

TBH, if you took 95% of the traffic OFF the road, and add in an utter shit load of buses and trams, the traffic that remained would be so much smoother flowing it’d be almost hilarious. In most cities and towns you could probably half the speed limits and half the amount of space allocated for cars and STILL get to your destination quicker.

Olly
    Free Member

A near perfect mechanism already exists, we even saw an unintended limited trial of it during the “Fuel Crisis” in 2021. it just needs a government brave enough to crank the price of Dino-juice up to £3.50+ a litre and then keep pegged to inflation.

A nice idea, but i disagree. Fatheads driving 2 miles to school will pay an extra couple of pence, or pounds a week.
    People who live out in the stick, hauliers, people making 300 mile round trips at the weekends to look after dying relatives will be priced out of journeys that are much more justifiable.

I met a guy who drove a 7L AMG Merc White, Leased, Thirsty. I asked him how he handled the single digit fuel consumption.

“Well its only a mile and a half to the office, and i have a ford focus for longer journeys”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We already have that, it doesn’t stop people buying / leasing new cars.

In any case, what you’re doing here isn’t discouraging people from driving, it’s preventing poor people from driving.

The cost of driving already stops poor people from driving.

The argument that increasing the cost of driving would impact the poorest is a non sequitur because “poor” people already don’t drive. It’s a lie made up by the middle classes and motoring organizations to justify their opposition to fuel duty, car duty, and whatever else.

Olly
    Free Member

People who live out in the stick, hauliers, people making 300 mile round trips at the weekends to look after dying relatives will be priced out of journeys that are much more justifiable.

Counter proposal.

Fuel up to £3.50+. Public transport free at point of use (taxpayer funded), AND with a guaranteed level of service and interconnection. enough busses and trains to make it a viable altenative. Bring back the post bus!

Flaperon

I have not intention of using the buses and thats the only alternative.

Do you mind if I ask why? Park and Ride schemes in most cities work pretty well, especially now the price has been slashed to £2 each way.

I doubt your wife is telling you the truth about her research because the claims you make on her behalf are patently wrong, and I’m merely a layman.

ayjaydoubleyou

We already have both of those too: fuel duty and toll roads respectively. Pushing people off motorways and onto side streets is probably the opposite of what we want to be doing.

Agreed, that was my point. Charging for motorways and or per mile is going to make longer car journeys (ones most suited to private automobiles) notably more expensive, while that 2 mile round trip school run or pop to the local shop for a paper and some fags (which is what is really causing the issues), barely touches the sides.

nickjb
    Free Member

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation. ― Gustavo Petro.

mert
    Free Member

I doubt your wife is telling you the truth about her research because the claims you make on her behalf are patently wrong, and I’m merely a layman.

Not actually “wrong” just massively simplified.
    The current trend of massive cars with huge batteries is a very unstable model, and cannot continue indefinitely.

In *MY* opinion, as someone who is working on delivering the tech, what we need is smaller, lighter, shorter range cars with faster charging. A 30-40kWh B/C sized car which will charge to 80% in 5-7 minutes and maybe a C/D with 10kWh more would cover 99% of 95% of drivers needs.
    Christ, even A/B sized car with ~150km range would cover a massive number of peoples *actual* needs, rather than what the marketing team tell them they need.

molgrips
    Free Member

it just needs a government brave enough to crank the price of Dino-juice up to £3.50+ a litre and then keep pegged to inflation.

Good luck getting people to vote for that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Taking those edge cases one at a time.

People who live out in the stick – reverse the trend for rural workers to be priced out of their own villages by disincentivising the middle classes from being able to live out their rural idyl whilst commuting from Clader to Manachester by car. Living as far away from work as people do is part of the problem, especially when for most people it’s self inflicted.

Hauliers – despite apocalyptical predictions each time the rice goes up, the shelves never end up empty as a result of the price of fuel. The actual transport fuel cost of even something relatively heavy and dense like milk is pennies. If supermarkets can still sell own brand bottled water for pennies a liter, then the cost of haulage is tiny in the average household budget.

Lower car use means less cancer, dementia, heart disease, strokes, heart attacks, better end of life quality, etc, etc, etc. We all know this, it’s just ignored, which is what the study shows. And in the short term, that’s still only another ~£30 on that trip, grandad might need to open up a second packet of Worthers to bribe you up to see him, but spare a thought for someone poorer than you who already can’t afford such trips but is also faced by underfunded public transport. Why don’t you soapbox on their behalf instead?

alpin
    Free Member

Personally I have/had a cargo bike and used it extensively for just about everything. However, I was using it for things I was previously using a trailer for.

It’s awesome.

Offered to give it to my sister and she said using it would be too much hassle…. 🤔

VED doesn’t deter people. Higher fuel prices might. A monthly bill for the miles covered at xyz times might.

my wife isn’t going to pedal a 60kg bike with 2 20kg kids on it around.

But I don’t think my wife would make it to work.

I get it…. it’s women’s fault.

Lazy wot nots.

They’ve all got nice nails, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

reverse the trend for rural workers to be priced out of their own villages by disincentivising the middle classes from being able to live out their rural idyl whilst commuting from Clader to Manachester by car.

I don’t think that’s the main problem with rural living. The problem is that even without incomers people can live a long way from their jobs for all sorts of reasons, and public transport is very expensive to provide due to low population density.

Hauliers – despite apocalyptical predictions each time the rice goes up, the shelves never end up empty as a result of the price of fuel.

Yeah and the Y2K bug was a non-issue too, remember how nothing went wrong?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Park and Ride schemes in most cities work pretty well, especially now the price has been slashed to £2 each way

The £2 price makes a big difference. I got the bus into Leeds from Harrogate for £2 e/w so loads cheaper than driving/parking. Plus I got to ride on a double-decker!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah and the Y2K bug was a non-issue too, remember how nothing went wrong?

In haulage terms it’s

Y2k1
    Y2k2
    Y2k3
    …….
    …….
    Y2k21
    Y2k22

At some point I’m inclined to believe their business model is fundamentally sound whatever the price.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just because someone solve a problem doesn’t mean there wasn’t a problem, or that it was solved for free.

5lab

Lazy wot nots.

They’ve all got nice nails, though.

what’s your point? My wife (as an occasional cyclist who does a bunch of other physical activity) refuses to ride my cargo bike as its too heavy for her to be able to manouver easily, especially with kids onboard, and its not geared in a way that she’d make it up hills. I, as a keen cyclist am willing to make sacrifices to use the cargo bike. I can put out 400w to get up a hill, I doubt she can manage half that – when she rides an unloaded shopper bike, and I am on the cargo bike with 2 kids, our pace is fairly evenly matched

molgrips
    Free Member

She’s unfit because she doesn’t ride, not because she’s a woman. Surely you can appreciate that?

ayjaydoubleyou

unfit because she doesn’t ride

I, as a keen cyclist am willing to make sacrifices to use the cargo bike. I can put out 400w to get up a hill,

which is a valid observation. what amount of the population would use their free time to become fit enough for daily cycle transport? Not just via bike riding, there will be people who are fit from various hobbies. But not a large chunk of the populace, I wager.

I should just link back to my e-scooter thread. In my mind a much better urban transport solution than a bike or ebike.

crazy-legs

I should just link back to my e-scooter thread. In my mind a much better urban transport solution than a bike or ebike.

Not disagreeing although I think they could be complementary to bikes / e-bikes rather than a replacement. However that again is a complete mess of trial schemes, illegal use of personal ones and a public transport system that has largely moved to banning carriage of the things based on safety fears (batteries exploding).

Again, needs a change in the law and Government are desperate to avoid the inevitable barrage of complaints from legalising them.

kerley
    Free Member

Most of them (~20%) could be covered by *very* simple alternatives, mostly properly funded public transport (bus, tram, light rail). The 75% who don’t really need to be driving would also be served well by that, and cycling/walking.

I am in that 20% and I did indeed get the bus/walk (7 & 3 miles respectively) to work when there was a 07:15 and 08:00 bus. Both were stopped and now the one bus a day that I get in my village is at 11:00 which unless you work afternoon shifts is no use to anyone that works. 80% of the time I was the only person on the bus for a 7 mile trip so can see why the service was stopped…

cookeaa

Counter proposal.

Fuel up to £3.50+. Public transport free at point of use (taxpayer funded), AND with a guaranteed level of service and interconnection. enough busses and trains to make it a viable altenative. Bring back the post bus!

There is no “consequence free solution” anything you propose is inevitably going to price the poorest off the roads first, and yes it has to go hand in hand with huge investment in public transport.

Harsh as it might seem those Rural Dwellers don’t get a pass. people lived in the countryside before Cars were plentiful and cheap they’ll have to make the same evaluation of priorities and resources as the rest of us.

Leccy cars aren’t immune from this, it’s not like a KW is getting cheaper and you’re paying a substantial mark-up to buy the stupid car anyway.

If the overriding goal is to reduce car use the simplest way is to make it far too expensive to just piss fuel away on walkable/cyclable/busable journeys. If the goal is to enable people to keep on making bad decisions, then do nothing…

I’m as guilty as anyone of being lazy and occasionally using my car for journeys I could have walked or pedalled, the only way you’ll moderate mine and my family’s behaviour is to make it exorbitantly expensive to drive, and I suppose it’s only “fair” if it’s one rule/escalation of costs for all, with the carrot of making public/active transport affordable and effective.

Edukator
    Free Member

In *MY* opinion, as someone who is working on delivering the tech, what we need is smaller, lighter, shorter range cars with faster charging. A 30-40kWh B/C sized car

In the opinion of buyers that’s not enough capacity and the wrong strategy. I didn’t buy the original Zoé in 2012 because the 23kWh battery wouldn’t take me skiing and back. I bought the 40kWh when it was launched and it was fine but long trips required planning especially in Winter. Then I bought the 50kWh facelift when that came out and find the extra 25% makes long trips disproportionately easier. The sales volumes have followed battery capacity – it’s now a viable alternative to an ICE.

If you want to sell BEVs to the masses they need batteries big enough to avoid faffing and range angst.

My trip yeterday was in very unfavourable conditions for a BEV. 0°C in the garage so economy was crap while the battery warmed up. After an hour economy improved but still wasn’t great because the heater was no doubt pulling a kW as it was -4°C when we arrive in a ski resort. 42% batery when we parked up. Two and a half hours skiing later we returned, -2°C battery at 34%. 20% of the battery capacity lost in zero kms as it cooled down. Enough to get home though. With a smaller battery I’d have been hunting for a working charge point or driving at 50kmh – people don’t want that on a day trip.

chrismac

As you go on to slag off electric cars with no substance beyond a concensus of your wife’s mates can we have your views on ICEs for balance please, chrismac?

They arent my wife’s mates, they are the views of respected Russell Group University professors who collaborate with some of the biggest engineering companies in the country. There is literally millions being poured into research to come up with either batteries that will work well enough long term for cars, alternative fuels such as hydrogen as a battery / fuel cell, and what purposes can ‘dead’ car batteries be used for once they are not able to hold enough charge to power cars.

My view of ICE is that they are along way from perfect, but they are all we have at the moment until the scientists and engineers of the world figure something better out. Environmentally its far better for me to carry on using my 7 year old diesel car than buying a new electric one with the carbon footprint of manufacturing it. My VED is only £20 per year so way lower than the proposed EV VED that is on its way. Why would I change?

Do you mind if I ask why? Park and Ride schemes in most cities work pretty well, especially now the price has been slashed to £2 each way.

Park and Ride is the worst of both worlds. I still take the car so drive 80% of the distance from home to the city centre to get to the car park. Then I still get the inconvenience of a bus timetable to work around. For now I can park close enough to town for 3 hours, long enough, for less than the cost of park and ride. They make sense for commuting where parking gets expensive, but I havent worked for a company that is in the city centre or that doesnt provide parking for over a decade. I have no intention of starting now

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 300 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.