Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • We all know what ‘whitewashing’ is in film and media, but ‘colourism’?
  • CountZero

First I’ve heard of this, it seems that having an actor who’s a person of colour playing another person of colour is unacceptable if the actor isn’t black enough!

Will Smith’s Casting as Venus and Serena Williams’ Father Sparks Colorism Backlash

Honestly, isn’t this just getting more than a little bit petty?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Hmmm. Identity politics is getting a bit out of hand. Will there come a point where actors only play themselves and each of us has to be our own MP because we are all unique and no-one can represent us but ourselves?

hols2
    Free Member

baboonz
    Free Member

Both are petty, you are effectively discriminating due to skin color.

cranberry
    Free Member

We seem to have taught a generation to look at the colour of a person’s skin first and apply rough stereotypes unthinkingly based on it.

All in the name of anti-racism.

funkmasterp

Where does it end though? Want to play Batman, well you best be a billionaire who witnessed their parents murder.

LeeW

Where does it end though? Want to play Batman, well you best be a billionaire who witnessed their parents murder.

At least it may mean we get no more Superman films. 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There is quite an interesting film on the subject.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So does this mean a black James Bond would be a bad thing? Because he is pretty darned white and a casual racist in the books.

cranberry
    Free Member

So does this mean a black James Bond would be a bad thing? Because he is pretty darned white and a casual racist in the books.

Would that not be a clear case of “cultural appropriation”, and therefore The Racism ?

ransos
    Free Member

He’s already been played by actors from different countries, with different accents, hair colour and eye colour.

funkmasterp

Imagine weekend at Bernie’s but with an actual corpse. From comedy classic to creepy in one go. I live in the vain hope that one day all sides of these arguments will meet in the middle and we can all stop acting like daft bastards

epicyclo

It really comes down to the quality of the actor.

Just look at Tom Cruise. In the Jack Reacher films, he completely convinces you he’s  6’7″ (or whatever) and black.

baboonz
    Free Member

As much as I´d like Idris Elba to play 007-not cause he is black, but for my appreciation of his character Stringer Bell, a black spy in Russia is a hard sell. Even more so than a black pro-swimmer in a quirky Welsh school in netflix´s “Sex Therapy”.

johnners
    Free Member

As much as I´d like Idris Elba to play 007-not cause he is black, but for my appreciation of his character Stringer Bell, a black spy in Russia is a hard sell.

Absolutely, we wouldn’t want a Bond film to be unrealistic, would we?

kimbers

It’s a bit silly but I suppose if it helps people realise that theres huge variation between people of different skin colours.
    Would people be upset if Hitler was played by Owen Wilson ?

Sequence 2 random African’s genomes & a random European genome & it’s more likely that the European & 1 African will be more closely related than the 2 Africans.

kilo

Probably to you but you’re not black so realistically have no skin in the game

cranberry
    Free Member

Probably to you but you’re not black so realistically have no skin in the game

Did you just tell someone what skin colour they aren’t and that their skin colour means that their opinion is not important ?

baboonz
    Free Member

@johnners

You could have argued that James Bond could use masks if infiltrating in such territories, or that they could develop gadgets that temporarily play with an enemies perception, instead you chose to be condescending.

I would also like for James Bond to stop being such a supersoldier. I never enjoyed the pouting crossfitter look.

globalti
    Free Member

Judging from almost every commercial I see on TV, everybody is married to somebody black and has two lovely mixed-race children so at the present rate by the year 2500 we will all be a beautiful coffee colour like Lewis Hamilton and Tiger Woods so the question won’t arise any more.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

kilo

I told someone who white that they probably don’t appreciate the various facets of racism, striving for equality and how it affects bame people and how their opinions may reflect this, but you knew that as you’re just trolling as normal

scotroutes

Surely Smith only has to identify as more black and the problem is solved?

Similarly, the OP. only has to identify as being coloured and kilo will have nothing to complain about.

Personally, I’m glad it’s now Ash Wednesday as I can go back to identifying as a pancake.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I doesn’t appear to be a widely held view thankfully. I mean really, some people think that a Black Man, can’t play a Black Man in a film because he’s the wrong kind of Black Man? I mean wtaf.

Frankly the whole ‘cultural appropriation’ thing turns my stomach, it’s corrosive and small minded.

baboonz
    Free Member

@kilo

Whilst your point is valid, it is still to some extent discriminating based on skin. You are in effect assuming that a person with a particular skin colour, will have experienced what you consider the typical challenges associated to having that skin colour, and as such have first hand knowledge that otherwise would not be available.

scuttler

Frankly the whole ‘cultural appropriation’ thing turns my stomach, it’s corrosive and small minded.

Exactamundo (I am not Hispanic).

vinnyeh

Just look at Tom Cruise. In the Jack Reacher films, he completely convinces you he’s  6’7″ (or whatever) and black.

Reacher’s black?

brakes
    Free Member

non-story whipped up by social media and frenzied tweeters.
    if you look at the feeds on Twitter, in amongst the more traditional news are headings of “backlash” which constitutes a news outlet reporting something and a nobody tweeting something against it.
    next up, there will be reports of a “backlash” based on YouTube comments.

DezB
    Free Member

Surely the only person in a position to object to who plays Richard Williams in a biopic is Richard Williams.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Surely the only person in a position to object to who plays Richard Williams in a biopic is Richard Williams.

Spot on. Otherwise what do we do? What level of difference in skin colour is acceptable?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I tell you who the worst offenders are.

The Avengers.

They had  Mark Ruffalo, a white guy,“greening up” to play the Hulk, the pale skinned Paul Bettany playing a red man and Josh Brolin, rampaging about   in Blue Face.

Bradley Cooper isn’t even a real raccoon FFS

nealglover
    Free Member

Just look at Tom Cruise. In the Jack Reacher films, he completely convinces you he’s 6’7″ (or whatever) and black.

Erm…. ?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Similar to Samuel L Jackson complaining that Daniel Kaluuya wasn’t really suitable to play a fictional black American, it’s a strange world – by this reckoning the end point is no “acting” can actually take place and so story telling becomes defunct.

scotroutes

by this reckoning the end point is no “acting” can actually take place

Tom Cruise was way ahead of the curve then?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Similar to Samuel L Jackson complaining that Daniel Kaluuya wasn’t really suitable to play a fictional black American, it’s a strange world – by this reckoning the end point is no “acting” can actually take place and so story telling becomes defunct.

Pfft, SLJ complains that Daniel Kaluuya doesn’t know what it’s like to be in a mixed race couple in America, because he’s not American. I bet he’s never even BEEN to Dagobah, let alone done any real Jedi training.

chakaping
    Free Member

I reserve judgement on this issue – what’s more interesting to me is the fuss about straight people playing gay characters and able people playing disabled characters. And trans characters come to think of it.

I know it’s facile to say things like “next they’ll be saying right-handed people can’t play left-handed people”, but seems to be a kernel of common sense there.

Whether it’s Bryan Cranston playing a disabled person, Will Smith playing a blacker person or Rachel Weisz playing a gay woman – it basically comes down to the economics. The Rock was in a movie where his character only had one leg. It’s not gonna be easy to find someone with his box office pull who actually only has one leg.

So should any other groups (apart from ethnic ones) have tacit “protected status” in how they who represents them on screen?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It can be quite a problem though in some contexts.

What if a basic white middle class singer/songwriter decided to release a drill album? Objectively might be outstanding and do well commercially. But in doing so he’s used his existing advantages to the detriment of another group of musicians who then would be unlikely to succeed as the market is already flooded.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ve heard Ed Sheeran’s new album as well then Spoony?

globalti
    Free Member

What nobody has mentioned is the sad fact that *whisper* lots of black people use skin toning creams so as to appear less black. Michael Jackson was the stark staring bonkers example but there are plenty of others who have mysteriously become paler as the years have gone by.

It’s a cream with hydroquinone, a photographic chemical. The WHO allows 2% but most American and African manufacturers are using 7% for that quick bleaching effect.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It can be quite a problem though in some contexts.

What if a basic white middle class singer/songwriter decided to release a drill album? Objectively might be outstanding and do well commercially. But in doing so he’s used his existing advantages to the detriment of another group of musicians who then would be unlikely to succeed as the market is already flooded.

In this case some people are arguing that in this case there was an opportunity to cast someone ‘black’ and that instead they’ve given it to someone ‘brown’. If you’re on the receiving end of the discrimination that sort of thing probably matters.

There are other roles where casting could be more gender/race/orientation blind. Would it really make a difference if Möbius in the matrix films was a white lesbian? But it wouldn’t work if Laurence Fishburne tried to play the lead in a biopic of Margaret Thatcher.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘We all know what ‘whitewashing’ is in film and media, but ‘colourism’?’ is closed to new replies.