Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)
  • WCA Shed Thread
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Here is a thread to record my plans, progress and injuries though the journey of building a new shed.

Today is day 1 so not much to show yet but here is the plan

Here is the location, butting up against the back of the garage.

Clearly I will need to move the wood store and other clutter but I have made a start on the plants

The slabs mark out the edges of the planned shed.

It looks like the crab apple will need to move too.

I will try to update when stuff happens. Hopefully today I will move the tree and dig the holes for the supporting pillars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sex pond?

willard

Swing palace?

If it is, you need more pampass grass.

granny_ring

Good luck with the build will keep following the thread!

footflaps

I’m sure this has been posted before, but anyway:

Hot tub owners pretending it’s not a nasty sex pond

AlexSimon

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well after working most of the day yesterday on it apart from breaks for the dentist and hydrotherapy I appear to have made very little progress.

Before

After

The two compost bins have been emptied and spread across the flowerbeds, the wood shed has been dismantled and partly moved into the garage (how come there is more wood than I started with?) and I have moved the little tree from here

to here

granny_ring

Nice drill holder 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I put a bit of a spurt on this morning.

Wood moved, wood shed demolished, edges strung out and first few footing holes dug.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Where did you get your info from for the structure WCA. I’m thinking of replacing our current shed and really fancy the idea of building it myself. I’m reasonably handy and could use the old shed as a template to go on.

Are you building the sides then bolting together or putting up a frame then cladding?

wwaswas

Are you building the sides then bolting together or putting up a frame then cladding?

Based on past history, I suspect it’s whichever approach involves the most peril and opportunity for disaster.

AlexSimon

Is that a sliding door on the left?
    Looking forward to seeing how that goes as it’s a nice touch.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My design would be a similar shape with a sloping rather than apex roof but I’m looking at bifold doors of some sort.

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m hoping no ladders will be involved in this build….

craigxxl
    Free Member

WCA can you confirm for safety sake that you will not be using:

Ladders
    Drills
    Saws – powered or hand
    Hammers
    Screwdrivers
    Nails or screws
    Anything that involves been lifted above ground level

willard

Last time it was his ankle. Shall we start a sweepstake on what he’ll break this time? Electricity and water are involved with this build, so I reckon some sort of comedy electro-drowning after coming through the roof.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is a sliding door on the left as a Bi-fold is expensive for a 3.6m length.

Shed structure is my own design based on internet info for the floor and roof beam/joist spacing. All measurements are 1.2, 2.4, 3.6 or 4.8 to make it easy to use standard timber lengths.

Floor will go down with 2.4 verticals at the corners and half way along the long side. The panel frames will then be screwed in and then clad the whole lot with red cedar tongue and groove on the outside. Probably plasterboard for most the interior with wood for the sauna interior.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Last time it was his ankle. Shall we start a sweepstake on what he’ll break this time?

The ankle wasn’t the last one. Do you really think I have been two years without injury, even allowing for the 6 months I was forced to stay in bed. Fool!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Work has stopped for the day.

Who won the sweepstake?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

😆

wwaswas

My son did that for real when he was about 7.

The South African doctor who treated him at A&E clearly misheard and nearly fell off his chair when cheerfully told “I put a garden fork through my welly” 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Possibly a reconstruction shot but my hands weren’t shaking this time

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I did that when I was a kid. Literally pinned my foot to the grass. Mother wasn’t impressed. Worst bit was when she had to pull the fork out!

daftvader
    Free Member

you are, with out a doubt, the most accurately named forum member… Ever! i salute you and your local a&e…. 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

At least I get new trainers 😉

chojin
    Free Member

Rather conveniently, Southampton General A&E is within falling distance of Chez Nick.

daftvader
    Free Member

May I suggest…. some of these… and possibly a hard hat, body armour, someone else to do the work???? 😆

P20

Can we have a greatest hits of your escapades?
    Was it yourself who created the led lights with the wood housing?

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m looking to build something similar.
    What did you use to design it?
    Is the floor just plywood, and is there a wall of plywood against the house?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

subbed

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can we have a greatest hits of your escapades?
    Was it yourself who created the led lights with the wood housing?

Check the back issues or=f STW magazine for ‘The hard way to become a poet’ and that gives about 1/3 or the stuff before the ankle, the first time I did the ankle. I can’t list all injuries because it will overload the www apparently. 😉

Google Sketchup for the pictures and internet building advice for the details. 450 for floor joists, 400 for walls needing plasterboard, joist and rafter size tables are available

daftvader
    Free Member

hmmm its been 20 hours since his last post… should we be worried??? 😯

Cougar

He’s probably nailed his last post to his arm or something.

daftvader
    Free Member

😆 all I keep seeing is the mental image of the built shed with a pair of feet sticking out from one end and an arm and hand, withraised thumb saluting, from one side… 🙂
    (wca.. I don’t want to see it, it’s only in my mind… Please don’t recreate in real life)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry to scare you, I am still mostly alive

Footings dug and concrete filled. Here is a partway through photo.

footflaps

Lawn needs some TLC…

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Looks like its scalped too much, lawn mower height setting needs raising 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Updates man! We need updates!

Have you employed a well recomended tradesman who’ll later turn out to be completely inept for us to critique?

zippykona

While we are waiting here’s my shed thread. Our small shed was really tatty and taking up too much room.
    So the plan was to move it behind the big shed. There is a wall behind big shed so I had to remove 50cm square out of one corner as well. I fully expected to muck it up so was reluctant to spend any money on it at all. The light coloured sides are excess wood flooring.
    Really surprised that it worked as I’m not to clever at this kind of stuff.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – I was busy with work towards the end of the week so no shed progress other than ordering some timber which arrived yesterday morning

I carried that lot down to the garage and then nipped down to the builders merchent to get some concrete blocks to level up the base.

Building the pillars to level up the base took ages as I needed all of the towers to be exactly level. My ankle suffered somewhat walking around on the slope.

I am hoping today to get some of that timber in place so there may be a photo later of the base framework. Watch this space

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘WCA Shed Thread’ is closed to new replies.