Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Waterproof jacket…with a hood.
  • Mounty_73

Just looking at a waterproof jackets and I cant seem to find many with hoods attached…can you suggest a few for me to look at…

So far I have looked at the Endura MT500 and Sombrio vapour…

Stoner
    Free Member

for riding in?

I find the hood gets in the way when on the bike – flapping a bout, and if you have it up, you have to choke yourself to get it to stay up.

If you mean for off the bike, I love my Marmot Stretch Man jacket at themoment. super comfortable, good hood, and extremely waterproof.

Mounty_73

I was thinking of, one jacket mainly for riding in but also to be used for walking etc.

Never had the problem of the hood flapping about….and yes I do ride fast 😉

My Montane is knackered up and looking to replace it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt want to crash in my marmot so that probably rules it out.

I like my Altura React thing for riding and off bike – tough as boots (have crashed in it big time and needed to repair it but it’s got stiffer fabric making it easier to do) but no hood. Thought of a hat? 😉

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Mounty get a climbing jacket as they are made to fit a helmet underneath. I have a Berghaus Extreme something or other and its just the ticket

Rorschach
    Free Member

Endura Venturi 2+ £15 for the optional removable hood.

grantyboy
    Free Member

North Face has some new MTB jackets out, think they have hoods

Rockplough
    Free Member

Have a look at the Madison Telegraphe. Hood is detachable. It’s not super light/packable, but it is tough, waterproof, and reasonably breathable. I’m very happy with mine. Also looks ok off the bike.

sambob
    Free Member

Mountain equipment Morpheus. Not bike specific, but absolutely superb.

jedi

dakine blitz or the dakine wetsuity material one 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

I have one of these and for an extra tenner, you can buy the hood which clips on and off!

Altura night vision waterproof!

I like mine when it’s p.ssing down!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I was thinking of, one jacket mainly for riding in but also to be used for walking etc.<

In which case:

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/shell-clothing.php?range=10&product=16

Bombproof and designed for use with helmets. Event fabric is also streets ahead of Goretex imo

glenh
    Free Member

^^ good recommendation. I use a crux flak jacket for winter mountaineering. It’s pretty tough, but very breathable. It also has a massive hood that will easily fit over a helmet and a long tail too.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I prefer wearing a mountaineering/walking jacket.

Currently have a montane atomic DT stretch. The chances are if I need a waterproof jacket it’ll be when I’m in arse end of nowhere. If I was on the fells/mountains walking I’d want good protection. This doesnt change when I’m on the bike.

I find biking jackets don’t offer me the fit or protection that I’m after.

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Have a look at paramo jackets. Got the Quito and I’m very impressed with it. Can run quite hot in warm weather but the venting zips work well.

bruk

Got a Madison Telegraphe jacket. It’s grand, not massively breathable but tough and reasonably warm. I even wore it snowboarding this year.

Always a compromise between waterproofness and breathability unless you spend loads and then you wouldn’t want to crash in it so its reasonable price is good too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i have the Raceface Kenny, never had a the flappy hood trouble or choking when its been up either. its champion. not too keen on the latest colours tho, mines the green & white one.

Mounty_73

Cheers guys, I like the raceface kenny, but not the designs/colours.

Just found one of the Madison jackets at a cheap price, will also have a look at the Altura jacket.

Mounty_73

Got a Madison Telegraphe jacket. It’s grand, not massively breathable but tough and reasonably warm. I even wore it snowboarding this year.

What’s the length like on the Madison jacket ?

Andituk
    Free Member

I love my MT500, perfectly waterproof over this winter, loads of zips and vents (does need it, it can be quite warm, but with the vents open I’ve still been using it this week). The hood is excellent, fits over a helmet no problem (even my Flux with the spoiler on), and has lots of toggles to get it nice and snug and to stay on.

Only downsides are if you want to use it on the road, it’s black, so not very visible, and the hood restricts your view if its up, and tends to flap to one side blocking your view when you glance over your shoulder unless you shove it to the other side when its not up.

Nothing better than the sound of rain on your hood while you’re nice and dry 😀

simonb
    Free Member

Try the new Montane Minimus jacket, lightweight, breathable and has a good hood that can be stowed under with velcro. http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=3859

Rockplough
    Free Member

What’s the length like on the Madison jacket ?

I’d say it’s half way between a normal waterproof and a full biking tailflap. More than long enough to cover the top of my shorts though.

Bruk is right about it being tough. I’ve crashed hard in mine and not a scratch on the material.

montylikesbeer

berghaus-paclite-jacket from go outdoors, got one last moth on special offer, super light and a hood that folds away, nice jacket.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

try a berghaus mens elite half zip it works fine for me and a steal at 90quid as it will get trashed riding in crap all the time or rab do one for about 150quid cant think what its called tho

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket…with a hood.’ is closed to new replies.