Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 8,899 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • w00dster

Kryton I think we are both going through the same thought process. I’m currently saving for a new bike, likely to be purchased after Xmas and also a new watch for my 50th (47 now). The bike purchase is likely to eat into my watch savings quite a lot!
    I did plan on a sporty Rolex but think my budget may be reduced due to the bike.
    Get a feeling it may be a Speedmaster unless Mrs W is feeling very generous!
    So here’s a question, I have two girls (12 and 13) and a budget of £1500 each, this is separate to my budget…what would you buy them? Needs to be reasonably special. They are both very girly girls, one is a ballet dancer the other a runner/XC racer, so both dainty little uns. This is to be their first collectible watch.

tthew

Do they actually want a watch each? At that age my daughter would not have been the slightest bit bothered, and time wouldn’t have improved her view on it. I’d put the money aside for something life changing when they’re older unless they’ve actually asked for a watch.

smudgey
    Free Member

I agree but I want it as a fashion watch really, for the summer and in a out of the water. Its o.k for that I think. Theres one on Ebay here but a Pepsi dial on a jubilee it looks nice.

w00dster

No they’ve not asked. It’s a present from the father in law. He likes his watches and wants to buy them something nice.
    It’s as a “best” watch for them, only special occasions.
    Future wise, we already have a decent handle on that. Again through Father in Law! He wants to do it so I’m kind of happy to oblige spending his money!

mrmoofo

if anyone wants to buy a Heimdallr Sea Shepard black, with black bezel, PM me. It is brand new warranty replacement of my first on, that arrived last week.
    Thanks

tthew

Again through Father in Law! He wants to do it so I’m kind of happy to oblige spending his money!

Oh well in THAT case!
    My cousin bought a nice Longines for his partner a few months ago. They seemed to have quite a decent range and a proper heritage brand to boot.

igm

Woodster,

My wife likes her dinky little Rado automatic. Nice proper watch without looking like a small men’s watch

This sort of thing. They have quite a range of women’s autos.

https://www.rado.com/en_gb/collections/centrix/centrix-automatic/R30009172

Of course it depends a) on your tastes and b) what you think of Rado.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Woodster, how about a ladies Cartier tank? In quartz so it’s no faff. They are a proper watch maker but also a top fashion designer so ticks both boxes, traditional ladies size, elegant for petite ladies. Quartz might be in budget…. Not sure. Id guess new might be above budget (£2k maybe? Dunno without looking) but pre owned well in budget. They are lovely. My wife has one. Never ever ever ever where it. Does head in, really wish she’d just use it as her daily beater!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Derek, I’ve not researched but think spinnaker are fine.

w00dster

Thanks for the suggestions guys, wasn’t a fan of Rado but looking through their site and they make some decent looking watches.
    Cartier a good suggestion, mother in law has a Cartier so that could help the fact it’s over budget.
    I think one of the girls would like this one….but would need to see it on her wrist as it maybe too big.

https://www.rado.com/en_gb/collections/captain-cook/captain-cook/R32500013

Kamakazie

For £1500 it’s hard to look past Nomos though they won’t be to everyone’s taste. In-house movements and a long history though not especially collectible looking at their SH prices.
    Something like the Tetra 27 is a great, understated womens watch and bob on budget.

I’m looking at a Metro Gangreserve as as sort of smart / dress watch.

tthew

I think one of the girls would like this one

I’d like one of those too! Not that size or colour, but those Captain Cook’s are lovely. I tried one on the other year, it’s probably time to start looking for a second hand one.

lotto
    Free Member

Looking for a strap for a watch where the case has solid bars. Currently on a nato. I would like to try a mesh steel magnetic one. (20mm) Can straps like that be fitted to a case with solid bars? (CWC SBS) can’t seem to find anything.

ed34
    Free Member

Sorry this might have been asked before but is there a good / reputable website to get a rough watch valuation? No idea about watch values bit I’ve got a smartish watch that I never wear so was thinking of selling it

ditch_jockey

Have popped one of my watches up for sale – now with added pics – if anyone is interested.
    Classified Ad

hanchurch
    Free Member

I’ve had a Tag Heuer Link automatic for 18 years as a daily and bought a Garmin for running at the beginning of lockdown, I liked the smartwatch thing having worn the Garmin for a few weeks but it felt very cheap compared to the Tag. I have just bought a Tag Connected 2020 for daily use, I will use the Garmin for sports use and the Tag Link for best.
    This seems to be working well for me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ed, look on chrono24. Or try watchfinder. Remember selling to a dealer price is way below peer to peer prices

lunge

Right then, what do we think of this? A Tudor Black Bay Chronograph.
    Tried one one today, has an air of Daytona about it, and is very big indeed, but there’s something about out that’s attracting me. May need to trade a couple of things in to get it mind you.

w00dster

Like that Lunge, that’s very nice. I don’t really like big watches but think that’s pretty decent.

brads
    Free Member

I tried the bronze coloured version of that Tudor chrono. Looks really good. Especially on leather.

As an aside. Anyone thinking of a steel Rolex. Forget it. It has went beyond the bounds of insanity.
    Saw a green bezeled sub go for just under 20k
    It’s 7k new.
    It has gotten so mad that I actually sold one last week. Too good to miss as I can’t fathom how those prices will be maintained.

M6TTF
    Free Member

received my new pinion atom ND today. cant seem to link a pic, so stock shot here
    singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/watches-n1/page/74/#post-11454323

Murray

That’s rather nice, Explorer like but its own thing and a sensible price

igm

Is that Pinion sapphire or mineral glass? I can’t see anything that would tell me. I like the looks.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lunge, it’s a nice looking chrono. What’s the movement? Valjoux? I’m grateful I don’t really like chronos, so I have no real urge to buy them. Grateful as they are a bit no more costly to service, and for me it’s a complication I wouldn’t use. They said I think the Daytona is lovely and particularly the ceramic bezel ones, and I can appreciate the speedy. The Tudor, like most, does nod strongly at it’s Rolex brother and does it well.

I assume it’s huge, what thickness? Is it even thicker than the standard black bay? The slab sides make them wear big. My pelagos wears far bigger than my planet Ocean and even my sumo! Still love it though, even with skinny wrists

neilnevill
    Free Member

Brads, nuts Indeed, the Rolex bubble grows and grows. What was it you saw sell at £20k? An original Kermit I assume. The modern one looks the same but is a different watch in many ways so the collectors won’t pay old Kermit money for a new one, but they are I think selling for a couple of k over list. It’s all nuts and getting one at list is impossible in my experience.

brads
    Free Member

Yup an older green one ( I hate those silly names lol 🙂

The AD had a seadweller ( great white ! ffs !) 23k madness.

I sold them a 666 seadweller Mk1

I looked at a Day date but was told no chance of a sports watch.

I suspect the salesmen sell to mates to flip and split profits.

neilnevill
    Free Member

yes I agree the names are silly and I don’t like them, but then I have half a chance at knowing the watch from the nickname rather than the serial number…errr.. .16610LV, or is it a 116610 or….they are completely logical but I’m not WIS enough to learn and remember the code.

the old kermit has demanded a big premium for a long while, i’ve a feeling it was limited in numbers (it was the anniversary version I think and only ran for a shortish while before the hulk replaced it), and also viewed as attractive so collectable and desirable. personally I’m in the minority that think the hulk is much more desirable. they are the real surprise, they weren’t liked and were often discounted until just a few years ago, and when they got discontinued the other month they leapt in price with greys going from just a few K premium to more like 8k.

great white and 666 ? I guess they refer to dial text in some way? like double reds, comex and depth first….minor variations to dial text that don’t alter the watch in the slightest but make a watch very limited in numbers and hence collectable.

Like you it seems only special friends of the AD get a sports rolex at list and even Oyster perpetuals are a struggle to get.

brads
    Free Member

666 is a 16660 seadweller.
    Mine was 1983 and had a Mk1 matte face. It was a transition model (old movement , new case etc ) so was desirable.

It’s the smallest of things that make vintage Rolex worth more.

New Rolex, it’s simply instagram that drives the price.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ahh I see. did you have it from new? i bet even selling to a dealer you got several times what it would have cos back in 83!

as for what drives the desirability of the new ones, not quite sure….rolex don’t do muh marketing, its quite select what they do. they severely restrict supply on the sports watches and that is a large part. it drivesa feel exclusivity and particularly for collectors to chase a ‘hard to get piece’ . thankfully i’m not wrapped up in that

brads
    Free Member

I bought it 5 yrs ago and trebled my money. Great investment 🙂

Fudd
    Free Member

neilnevill
    Free Member
    Lunge, it’s a nice looking chrono. What’s the movement? Valjoux? I’m grateful I don’t really like chronos, so I have no real urge to buy them. Grateful as they are a bit no more costly to service, and for me it’s a complication I wouldn’t use. They said I think the Daytona is lovely and particularly the ceramic bezel ones, and I can appreciate the speedy. The Tudor, like most, does nod strongly at it’s Rolex brother and does it well.

It’s actually an in-house Breitling movement in the Tudor, and Breitling get to use Tudor three hand movements as part of the agreement.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor-breitling-alliance-movements-exchange-opinion/

neilnevill
    Free Member

oh yes of course it is, i Knew that, d’oh. Like the rest of the current crop of in house movements that warrants looking into before buying the watch. is it any good and will it be reliable, and most importantly, service costs. Tudor are (or at least were( very very reasonable on that at least.

CountZero

What’s the movement? Valjoux?

Interestingly, I believe Breitling used a Valjoux movement back in the 60’s, the same one that’s in my Yema – very good movement, kept excellent time when I wore it for the three months I was on furlough, longest period I’d worn it for since the 80’s and getting it repaired and serviced. I tend to prefer diver watches over chrono these days, but that Tudor is really rather nice – given a hefty cash injection I’d be looking at a Pelageos, though.
    Highly unlikely to happen, sadly.

M6TTF
    Free Member

its sapphire crystal. +1sec since I put it on my wrist on Friday

IvanDobski
    Free Member

New Orient M-Forces have been announced after not being in the range for a while – I think the black one will end up in the collection at some point. I appreciate these probably won’t be to everyone’s taste!

New M-Force

They also do a “Tiger’s Eye” variant which is quite cool.

Tiger's Eye M-Force

Fudd
    Free Member

Interestingly, I believe Breitling used a Valjoux movement back in the 60’s…

Breitling, Heuer, Rolex and literally hundreds of others used Valjoux movements in the 60’s. Paul Newman’s $17m Daytona has a Valjoux 72 inside and you can find those in watches costing from around 1k today. You’ll pay over 70k for a Heuer Skipper with a 7733 inside, to as little as a few hundred for something less collectable with the same movement. Very few companies were making their own chronograph movements back in those days and Valjoux were the go-to supplier for most.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m loving the look of Swatch’s BIG BOLD CHRONO:

47mm case width. And look at that tiny date window!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s only bloomin’ new watch day again…

So a while ago @derek_starship posted

derek_starship
    Free Member
    Just learned about this brand today.

300m divers from Pantor. This is the Sealion. Rather lovely.

Pantor Sealion

Posted 1 year ago

And today a green version arrived and it turns out he was right! I’ve never had a green watch and always fancied a cushion-cased diver like a Doxa or Seiko SRP so now I’ve got a green cushion-cased diver.

It’s a 300m, sapphire crystalled, NH35 diver on a fairly chunky bracelet which came in a travel case with an additional rubber strap and spring-bar tool.

I’ve literally just unpacked it and need to size the bracelet etc but so far it looks and feels really nice.

Pantor stock image, I’ll take some photos later.

Green sealion

Kryton57

Nice.  Seems to a plethora of nice watches appearing at the moment.  I’m taken by the new Tag Carrera, and want to treat myself to a Banford G Shock.  Other G Shocks seem to be getting busier though, and putting me off.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,921 through 2,960 (of 8,899 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.