Viewing 40 posts - 8,561 through 8,600 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • cojacal

@tall_martin many thanks, ordered a new capacitor from maddisonsofdurham.co.uk

While googling a capacitor supplier though realised there is a whole new world of Seiko solar powared quartz that supercedes kinetics. Relatively inexpensive too https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/seiko-padi-solar/products/seiko-watch-prospex-padi-solar-mens-sne549p1 … not that I need another like this … oh no I don’t need another beater diver user that I like the look of … no definitely don’t need another one of those …

Kryton57

Ha ! On reflection I should have got the midi sized Seiko Solar rather than a mechanical version for holidays.

djflexure

Beaverbrooks are clearing out their Wolf watch storage. Good reductions; good value, you decide.

Picked up a nice single watch roll yesterday. The boxes appear well made too.

cojacal

My replacement £11.99 Seiko Kinetic capacitor arrived in the mail today – kudos to https://maddisonsofdurham.co.uk/ for super prompt service.

I needed to remove my loose date window surround first –  so back off, crown out, movement and chapter ring out to get rid of the errant date window surround, then reassemble. I was watching the video that @tall_martin linked to while changing the capacitor but pretty straight forward – one screw to remove the rotor, a gear wheel, then two screws to release the capacitor asembly. Reverse with new components. Pick it up and it’s going! On the wrist for a couple of hours now on my new winder.

Thanks again @tall_martin for the prompt to just do it!

IMG_2257

boblo
    Free Member

But did ya fix the window surround?

cojacal

Just took it out, maybe glue it back in sometime, but if you didn’t know it had been there likely wouldn’t miss it?IMG_2265

Bregante

New watch day!

I retired* on Monday and couldn’t resist treating myself to a new watch to mark the occasion.

I’ve always liked the look of the Yema Superman and when this maxi dial popped up on eBay on Tuesday morning I couldn’t resist.

I don’t do metal bracelets so opted for the Tropic dive band. Very pleased 😀

*If my post retirement plans come to fruition I will be putting this diver to use in the not to distant future 😎

Kryton57

Please screw the crown on first though 🙂

Congrats on both points, very nice.

johnners
    Free Member

Please screw the crown on first though 🙂

I’d been doing the posting equivalent of biting my tongue on that one, glad to see it sets some else’s teeth on edge!

Nice, though I do prefer the look of the metal finish bezels.

cojacal

Congratulations on your retirement, and the Yema – to my eyes a very nice looking watch particularly with that strap.

What johnners said apropos of what Kryton said though!

gaidong
    Free Member

Oris Prolpilot sold. Tudor Pelagos sold. Rolex Milgauss sold. War chest ready….

w00dster

What’s top of the shopping list Gaidong?

Kryton57

Can anyone recommend me a range of GADA’s / non dive/tacho bezel watches to look at please?   I’m looking for an aqua-terra alike albeit cheaper and had settled for a green Tissot Gentleman, then got distracted by a Ti Gentleman quartz, then the Carerra 3 hand although thats too spendy.  Looking at options around £500-£800 2nd hand is fine, office suite/bling but 100m water resistance.

Thanks

johnners
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a range of GADA’s / non dive/tacho bezel watches to look at please?

I’d say the Smiths Commando or Everest would fit the bill. They might not be spendy enough for you and they don’t have the wide brand recognition you might want though. Unassumingly small by modern standards, or “a child’s watch”, depending on your personal view! Full disclosure, I’ve got a Commando and love it.

Quite annoying to get hold of new though, a bit like getting a ticket for Glastonbury!

boblo
    Free Member

What’s top of the shopping list Gaidong?

Just gotta strap to choose…🙃

tthew
    igm

@Kryton57 – There is, as always, ChrisW.

https://www.christopherward.com/watches/c63-sealander-automatic/C63-39ADA3-S00B2-B0.html

Upper end of your price range, but look nice.

Green is an option.

gaidong
    Free Member

@w00dster, BP FF Ti blue dial, IWC Timezoner or Chopard LUC Time Traveler One…

gaidong
    Free Member

@boblo, I’ve got an idea where to stick that, base first.

chipps

Nice one(s) @bregante ! I like the look of the Yemas.

Another Smiths fan here. Have an older Everest and it’s lovely. (I’m not a fan of the slightly whizzy Miyota movement, but the watch itself is lovely and the newer designs are lovely.) I did also have a Speedbird GMT which I sold to Mr Crossley on here (with full buyback rights if he tires of it…)

@kryton57
    If you don’t mind a homage, I’ve been very happy with my Steinhart Adventure 39. 5% of the cost of a Rolex Explorer, 95% of the looks and 100m water resistant.

boblo
    Free Member

@gaidong Only joking 😝 If we all had the same tastes it’d be a dull old world… 👍

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve been very happy with my Steinhart Adventure 39

I do like that – not a great departure looks-wise from your Everest imo but in a bigger case size. The Swiss movement might be enough to pique K’ s interest!

Kryton57

It does indeed, Sellita as per  CW yet half the price.  Looks flat in the though, @chipps how shiny is it?

I wanted green, the metropole version could do the trick but the web photo again looks flat, the rest the darker fade-to-black green that I want, I wonder which it is? But the funny logo at the 12 though….

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-39-metropole-sunray-green.html

beanum

@Kryton I’ve been looking for something similar, but not green. These have popped up in my searches, but these examples may not be green enough?
    https://www.traskawatch.com/products/commuter-38-mint-green

https://http://www.rzewatches.com/collections/resolute-collection/products/resolute-2022-mint-green

chipps

@kryton57 How flat is what? 😊

The case? The face? I’ll get my best camera phone out and let you know when I hear…

chipps

This is still top of my watch list: a Doxa Sub 200 with turquoise dial. Anyone have one?

https://eu.doxawatches.com/collections/sub-200/products/sub-200-aquamarine?variant=39629862862930

CountZero

@ Bregante – the Yema’s a nice catch, man there’s some no-messing lume dots on that face, you’ll need sunglasses at night with that!

derek_starship
    Free Member

2006 Protrek. Not been out for a while.

oomidamon

I want to get a Snoopy Moonswatch for my wife’s birthday in May but they seem to have sold out. If anyone spots one for sale at a Swatch shop please let me know – Trafford Centre or Liverpool are the nearest to me.

CountZero

Here’s the new, rather…bright Casio, and I’m liking it a lot. In particular the fact that I can make adjustments and set alarms etc without having to Fanny around with little buttons and try to see what I’m doing on a teeny little screen, I can do everything on my phone screen.

I’ll be getting a new strap for it soon, a woven nylon strap which will be a bit brighter, but will be slightly elastic so once I’ve adjusted it with a buckle I’ll just need to slide it on and off. Lazy bugger that I am, but it just makes a change from black, grey and polished steel that I’ve been wearing for most of my life, and I’ve just got bored with it. 🤷🏼

gaidong
    Free Member

Yesterday’s try ons. IWC Timezoner – very cool and actually wearable 46mm but no.

20240402_164236

New Blancpain FF 5010, 42mm and thus, too small! I found it a bit boring, weak beer version of the 5015.

20240402_170321

Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe ceramic 43mm. Amazing dial but too angular and I don’t like the handset or indices.

20240402_170510

Chopard L.U.C. Time Traveller One, in platinum…. Obviously I was after the steel but that’s what was in stock. Nice case and relatively legible display for a Louis Cottier worldtimer movement but I prefer when all is done through a single crown. One left of a Paris boutique 15 piece limited edition steel case blue dial could have been ordered but they won’t discount LEs. Nice. Very nice. But no cigar.

20240402_172638

kilo

I think I prefer the New Blancpain FF 5010, 42mm of the lot , but they are all a bit challenging for me 😉

I’m not sure I could cope with that Chopard dial!!!

ElShalimo

That Chopard looks like a Swatch I had 20+ years ago

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah the Blancy 5010 is the best of the bunch to my eyes but still not for me. Generally, I’m a ‘less is more’ chooser and tend to default to steel sports watches. I’ve one that’s a bit jazzy and I always feel a bit gauche when wearing it (very rarely).

Kryton57

Gosh – very nice!

lowering the tone slightly, I stuck an eBay elastic Marine Nationale as beachwear on the 5eiko:

IMG_5325IMG_5324

I like it !

johnners
    Free Member

lowering the tone slightly

Like bollocks you are. As a general point I don’t like being negative on this overwhelmingly positive thread but yours is the only watch on the latter part of the page that isn’t absolutely minging. And I’m no fan of the 5kx!

The strap looks nice though, I find MNs a very comfy option.

Kryton57

Yes I agree, I’m merely 2hrs in to the MN but it’s pretty invisible.

YMMV re taste of course but I like the look of this one.  My iPhone washed out the pics, the orange is much more vibrant on dial and strap as is the gold bezels numerals and hands.    This is perfect for my purpose.  A holiday pool watch that won’t get may arm chopped off for theft, summer colours, quick drying not sweaty strap, looks decent yet I wouldn’t exceed my max HR if I whacked it on the side of a pool.

igm

A holiday pool watch that won’t get may arm chopped off for theft

What sort of holidays do you go on? 😳

Kryton57

It says more about my paranoia than the destination, I’d love to be wearing the SMP all the time without a thought!

Viewing 40 posts - 8,561 through 8,600 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.