Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 9,115 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Can I ask some advice?

A while ago I put my name on a list with an AD for black Pelagos 39. She’s contacted me, got one in, and I’m off to try it on next Wednesday.

Thing is, I can’t really afford it without dipping into our life savings which Mrs K isn’t happy about, so I’m thinking – assuming it fits etc – an available 0% deal without penalty for early settlement for when I eventually get a decent sales commission over the next couple of years would work.

Is this a step to far for a watch?

SSS
    Free Member

Why not? To be blunt, its a ‘time to put your money where your mouth is’ moment especially since you put your name on the waiting list.

I dont know the resale/used market for a Pelagos, but assuming there is a waiting list, its desirable. If its desirable, presumably it shall appreciate (or at least hold value).

For me, arent you just swapping one thing of value (cash) for another thing of value (watch)? Zero sum game whether that wealth is in cash or an asset….

IvanDobski
    Free Member

For a widely available current model it probably is.

Kryton57

Well it would seem less than widely available seeing as I’ve waited 5 months to have one in stock.

SSS – thanks. Watch a lot of Pelagos 39 reviews and it’s very much described as THE Tudor, all the usual specs and looks, titanium, dual straps and 11.8mm depth undoing the atypical Pelagos bug bear of a “thick” watch.

I’ve slept on the question “is this a grail watch”. And worryingly I don’t know the answer. For sure it’s a desirable piece yet so is that Casioak, and with the Pelagos at the very top of my personal affordability ladder it’s one shot into a smaller collection which will force years of enjoyment without additional purchase – unless I flip it.

I don’t want to buy it to show off, i want to appreciate it and therefore I need answer the question – myself – of why I want to buy it. Becuase ultimately the Samuarai I posted up there does the same job and looks very respectable on a strap that may as well be a twin of the Tudor rubber.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve slept on the question “is this a grail watch”. And worryingly I don’t know the answer.

It’s not then, is it? Although tbh I’m not keen on the whole “grail watch” idea, it seems to require a degree of emotional involvement I’ve never experienced.

a smaller collection which will force years of enjoyment

Force years of enjoyment? Blimey.

Although that being said, if you think you can get a 0% deal and could flip it for minimal loss if you don’t like it then what’s the risk?

Kryton57

It’s not then, is it?

Quite. And as they say, its best never to realise your fantasy’s / meet your heroes as they often disappoint. Perhaps much nicer to appreciate these watches from afar.

Although that being said, if you think you can get a 0% deal and could flip it for minimal loss if you don’t like it then what’s the risk?

There is that :D

Here’s what I’m looking at:

My one bug bear is that the straps aren’t quick release, which may mean taking a tool & some spare spring bars on Hols…

ElShalimo

Edit

boblo
    Free Member

For me, the thing to remember is these are the epitome of discretionary purchases. If you need to justify, get ‘permission’, convince, cajole and even finance them, it takes the joy out of it.

If you need to sell a kidney or put up with the cold shoulder, forget about it for now. I wouldn’t be financing something like this. I know it’s 0% and you (we) can convince ourselves it’s a wise financial move. Yes on a purely financial level, free money for something that will probably appreciate over time looks like a good deal. But (for me), this sort of spend should come from freely available funds rather than committing cash that could be needed elsewear for more worthy stuff (cars/houses/surgery etc). You never know what’s around the corner and if you’re all maxed out on ‘free’ watch finance, that might restrict your future options on more important stuff.

It doesn’t sound like you’re convinced anyway as a) you’re asking the question here and b) you’ve thought about it and haven’t reached a decision.

If you can do it without aggravation (financial or relationship), bingo! If not, save up for it and then buy it. If it’s your ‘the’ watch, you’ll enjoy it all the more when it’s aggro free.

Kryton57

Boblo, nail on head. After a coffee and watching Jody appreciate a yellow plastic Casioak, I came to post that same conclusion.

I’ll still go to the AD and try it on because I need to see the fit/finish to know its want I want in the future, but as you say if I’m all good I can make it a savings target. And as I’ve changed my mind over the years about “the one” expensive watch anyway that strategy gives me the time to understand whether I really want it.

And we need a new bathroom, so er…. a priority my wife will appreciate much more. :D

johnners
    Free Member

And we need a new bathroom, so er…. a priority my wife will appreciate much more.

I’m willing to bet you “need” a new bathroom as much as you “need” the Pelagos. I don’t doubt your wife will prefer the bathroom though!

Kryton57

Oh no we need a new bathroom alright, ours is in tatters, we’ve been here 11 years and it was decorated/fitted about 11 years before that… It works is the best I can say about it TBH.

SSS
    Free Member

Boblo makes an excellent argument, and i would agree, id never purchase it on finance either, always pony up the cash for this purchase.

However, im going to throw this in the ring….

You have coveted this watch for a long time, and talked about it on many occasion. I have you down as a hard working, low maintenance kinda guy. Work hard, look after your family etc.
    So this is for you, a small piece youve always wanted to dedicate to your, well, dedication.

If you save up, there will ALWAYS be more pressing needs for the funds. There always is, or ‘oooo i better not spend that just in case’. With a high value purchase, because your a family man there will ALWAYS be explanation/cajoling required.

Better to have loved and lost – than to never have loved before. As said, you can always flip it, if it isnt your grail watch and re-realise the value.

You are having pre-buyers remorse right now, thinking youll get buyers remorse. But what if you dont??

Like others on this forum thread, im quite sure you get asked, incredulously, ‘you paid how much for a watch’?? To which i respond ‘you paid HOW much for a car?? And its worth 50% of what you paid now, my watch has held/appreciated in value’.
    Await thought processes to kick in and the realisation…

Maybe, just maybe, emotion does have to get in the way….

johnners
    Free Member

I have you down as a hard working, low maintenance kinda guy.

LOL

SSS
    Free Member

Clarification – in this context ‘low maintenance’ means not an alcoholic/druggie/petrolhead/gambling addict- who fritters away vast sums of the families income on a daily/weekly basis :-D

wait4me

low maintenance

This is the same guy who is considering taking a change of watch strap and a spring bar tool on holiday with them.

Kato

That sapphire Speedy I posted is one of my “grail” watches.  Initially didn’t buy it as I had the opportunity to buy a Rolex.  The Rolex was very nice but it just didn’t excite me. I’d put it on and forget about and put it away and not think ooooooh.

I am always looking at the Speedy now and it’s the first watch I pick out. I’m sure that will change but at the moment it’s really special.

If you don’t feel that way about the Pelagos don’t buy it. I was lucky enough to turn a profit on the Rolex so didn’t lose out.  But these expensive trinkets we like so much really can be a waste of money sometimes

Kryton57

LOL

Even I laughed, I am hard working sometimes to my own detriment, but low maintenance? No… :D

I appreciate the advice though SSS, thanks.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’d argue if it’s one of the years most hyped releases and all you needed to do was put your name down and wait a few months to get one from an AD at RRP then it’s widely available enough and will only become more available as demand reduces.

By contrast for the last 2 years I’ve been trying to get hold of a particular Orient model only released in Brazil and now discontinued. I’ve had numerous google translate conversions with various Brazilian Orient dealers and had people in Brazil on holiday trying to track one down – neither with any success. As such my benchmark for widely available might be set slightly differently!

ElShalimo

Had anyone use Creation Watches recently?

Did you have to pay import duties, Vat etc?

Wally

Hellooooo Bolbo is seconded. It’s nice to look and there is a good thread on TZ-UK about climbing the tree and then enjoying and relaxing with lower fruit.

Currently wearing a sterile SanMartin Explore with a old parachute webbing fabric strap.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Had anyone use Creation Watches recently?

Did you have to pay import duties, Vat etc?

Yes
    No

Basically, couldn’t be easier.

Harry_the_Spider

Used Creation last year. Absolutely no bother as long as you don’t mind the wait of a couple of weeks for postage.

ElShalimo

I’ve not used Creation for 9yrs so thought I’d check

Thanks

ElShalimo

Anyone got any good ideas for a replacement 20mm strap for this?

Kryton57

Yesterday after all the fuss I had a few drinks whilst watching the rugby, and made a drunk purchase of the Casioak GM-2100c-5aer. Beats the 12 bottles of Miracle Car Polish from QVC that happened many years ago I suppose.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s the years toilet paper budget for the new bathroom gone 🙃

If I still drank, I’d have doubled down on the Tudor as well and be really in the sh1t by now… Hence why I don’t drink 🙃

Kryton57

Ha ha. I’m going to let it arrive so I can have a look at it, but if I keep it something else has to go, probably the Citizen AT – the watch I hate to love.

Harry_the_Spider

Looks better than the £90 that it cost me.

ElShalimo

Anyone got strap recommendation for the Citizen above?

Something to liven it up, preferably leather

Kato

Steveostraps

He’ll make you exactly what you want

ElShalimo

Thanks @Kato

The problem is I’m not sure what I want other than not  plain black again

Kryton57

Try the Zulu diver site? Lots of nice straps there, perhaps a black strap with a subtle grey stripe would look nice on that.

richpips
    Free Member

IvanDobski
    Free Member
    richpips
    Free Member
    Next up my Orient Star Outdoor

I look at those a lot, mainly because I can’t decide between the black dial and the textured grey dial but I’d never realised the blue was that shiny so now I’m wondering if the black is the same.

What do you think of the watch?

I like it. Legibility without glasses is one of my main wants and it ticks that box. Good lume also.

There appears to be quite a choice of dials. I nearly went for a browny green before I remembered I’m not a prepper.

ElShalimo

Anyone got a Seiko Presage?

I’m looking for a dress watch (under £500) and they seem lovely but most only have mineral glass and I’m a clumsy oaf

The Tissot PRX with blue leather strap looks lovely too.

ElShalimo

Crikey, every time I post on this thread the conversation stops. Oops

Kato

Nah I see you! Are you talking about the cocktail time ones? They are very nice and I quite fancy the green one myself

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-Presage-Cocktail-Mockingbird-40.5mm-Mens-Watch-SRPD37J1/p/18440016

As for PRX’s I really want to like them but I’m not sure I love the 70’s integrated bracelet look

ElShalimo

@Kato – that’s one but I think the Irish Coffee version is nicer.

The PRX  blue leather looks a bit nicer to me than the SS integrated version

Kato

I like the cocktail time’s they are handsome watches and reasonably priced imo.  Mineral glass doesn’t put me off at all.  To be fair I had a Chinese Seagull chrono which had a plexiglass crystal and managed to keep it scratch free!

Kato

I’d go automatic on the PRX.  The waffle dial on the auto is visually more interesting.  They’ve just released an “ice blue” one which is rather nice

tthew

I like a nice acrylic crystal,  (if that’s not an oxymoron) easy to polish if it does get a scuff. Would you wear a watch like a cocktail time in a situation where it’s likely to get damaged?

The Negroni one is my particular favourite,  I’m a bit partial to the drink too! 😋

Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 9,115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.