Viewing 40 posts - 5,921 through 5,960 (of 8,690 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • nicko74

The bright Orange rubber strap is fading and looking a bit rubbish. So my question; who makes the best bright Orange rubber strap? Any recommendations?

“best” can be quite subjective. But a good place to start might be Zuludiver (watchgecko.com and zuludiver.com) as a mid-priced option

Mikkel
    Free Member

Do you like black and red?
    as thats the colour of the Seiko i am trying to get rid of lol

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hopefully this works. If not. Bah.

Still loving my titanium Helm Vanuatu https://imgur.com/a/UQxl50r

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m planning on slimming down the collection a bit, before I get all the photos sorted for the classifieds on here and watchuseek etc I thought I’d list the outgoing bunch on here first in case anyone fancies anything:

Elliot Brown Canford
    Pantor Sealion
    S&B Springfield GMT

all with various straps and cases etc.

Not worked out pricing as yet but they’ll be “competitive” so if anyone’s interested let me know and I’ll get everything sorted!

neilnevill
    Free Member

those vanatu do look the Mutts! If I didn’t have a dislike of quartz (they re quartz aren’t they?) then I’d be all over one. maybe I ought to chalk it down as a ‘grab and go’ watch

johnners
    Free Member

they re quartz aren’t they?

NH35. There’s a fairly long waiting list.

dooosuk
    Free Member

@ivandobski send me some details on the top two please 👍

IvanDobski
    Free Member

@dooosuk – message sent

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh a cheap mechanical Seiko…. Robust but inaccurate and not grab and go, now I remember why I don’t want one!

Just watching the George Ezra documentary on prime and spotted he is wearing a Tudor black bay. It suits him.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Helm don’t make a quartz they’re all mech

Wait list can be anything – I missed one email and dropped back a good year. Probs around 4 on total. Got the emails for both the SS and ti so held off on the SS as I’m skinny writsted so the Ti seemed a better option for me. The engineer strap is stunning. But the Ti scratches very easily. I’m not arsed it’s a daily wear it’s gonna get banged up.

geolog
    Free Member

Will be parting with this shortly to part fund the new Explorer – let me know if you’re interested.

Tudor North Flag

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Must resist… but if you want to drop me a PM Geolog with some details and price? I’ve been thinking about a North Flag for a while.

gaidong
    Free Member

Got this last week. I’m still a miserable git. But now I know what day it is.

Kato

I like a Propilot, they are very handsome watches but the day/date one is too much of a whopper for me.  45mm isn’t it?  Nearly bought the PVD 41mm date only one a few years back , but bought a Tudor BB41 instead.   Was thinking of getting one recently but my head has been turned by the Sinn 556i

gaidong
    Free Member

The new Day-date is 44mm but the lug to lug is reasonable and it’s pretty thin. My wrist is 7.25″ and it sits comfortably. And you can definitely read the time! By day at least; the lume is pretty disappointing.

igm

I love my ProPilot GMT

Clean, legible and GMT.

No day on it, but I have a phone for that.

The Day-Date looks equally lovely

Kryton57

a cheap mechanical Seiko…. Robust but inaccurate and not grab and go

?? Some have been proven 5s a month, others not. And any mechanical watch isn’t grab and go unless it’s worn or in a winder. There’s a margin of functionality between a £400 Seiko and a £4000 Tudor – for example – which IMO makes a Brand name hard to justify at times.

F’rinstance, the new Tag Solargraph. Ti yes, Tag yes, but 100m with a citizen eco drive movement. £2,550, about £1000 at least of which is about Brand (IMHO).

nicko74

I love the Oris ProPilot, it’s just a great pilots watch, smart, legible, solid internals, and the Oris strap/ deployant is excellent. I have the 10-day GMT version which is very good, but could definitely keep better time.

I’m hoping Oris rolls out its new 5-day movement into regular production in the ProPilot, and might replace mine then

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yes kryton, some people are lucky and get the good movements and yes it shows the cheaper, and medium cost Seiko movements are decent designs and can be accurate. However there are two issues. Firstly the designs are tricky to regulate. Not impossible, but tricky. The second issue (and this impacts the first) is Seiko quality control. It’s no better on movements than it is on bezel alignment and so on, which unfortunately means that many aren’t within 30s/day and extremely difficult to do anything about. That’s why I made my comment. It is also partly why I prefer a ETA or sellita.

Kryton57

It is also partly why I prefer a ETA or sellita.

I’m with you there, but with a Seiko as a tool watch and my specific need not requiring 1-5s per day accuracy I’m happy to wear what are some good and good looking watches at certain price points.

There’s other watches/movements I’d rather get at £1000, and I agree Seiko’s quality has seen a blip recently unfortunately co-inciding with price rises, I guess we wait and see if they respond with a quality increase.

As you may know I made a conscious decision to move to a five watch collection (which hasn’t worked btw, I haven’t sold any of the others yet) and I’ve decided – of the three that don’t have sentimental value – I’m only flipping those for definitive upgrades. That in itself leaves me in Oris, SINN and Longines territory next.

I find myself – 149 pages in – now knowing the size/style of watch I want & suits me which means viewing watches is entertaining but a lot can be ruled out. Your classic 40/20 or the odd 38 (Murph, I’d be looking at you if you included the bloody morse code like your big brother!) is pretty much my category, albeit quite a wide one.

gaidong
    Free Member

I too would like a 400 caliber Propilot, but I hope they don’t bring it out too soon after getting this one! I’m very happy to have the day on my wrist. I have a general preference for no-date watches or a very discreet date (like my Pelagos) but I do have trouble remembering the day as I work fairly irregular hours. Even better would be colour coding the day wheel, green, yellow and black, to reference the various bin days!

Kryton57

Maybe under your radar @Gaidong but especially the black one here:

gaidong
    Free Member

@kryton57, thanks! My grandad flew Hunters IIRC (defo Meteor after the war). Next on my buy list is a chrono though; so many hours to waste looking…

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just a little update on my watch with a piece of dust under the glass, got the crystal cleaned locally for £20 and a refund from the supplier for around £80 so I’m happy.

twonks

Hopefully a question or two that won’t offend any watch aficionados.

I’ve always liked a good watch and whilst I have a small selection, I have found myself not really wearing one any longer – perhaps for as long as the past 6 or 7 years I don’t wear a watch beyond a Garmin occasionally.

Now I’d like to start wearing one again and am attracted to new shiny. The trouble is, I have no desire to fiddle with a watch or keep correcting it and perhaps more importantly may go for days or even weeks without wearing it.

Because of this, I am drawn to quartz movements for simplistic ownership, yet most collectors and watcherists run away in disgust when hearing such things and fail to offer any opinions on ‘those sort’ of watches.

I get that the mechanics of many watches are a thing of beauty and some are genuine manufacturing marvels but, I just don’t want the hassle of setting and winding / moving with a watch after I’ve left it more than 80 hours.

Because of this and with up to £900 or so to spend, I am looking at a few from Seiko, Tissot and the main one that grabs me now is a discounted Longines Conquest vhp.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longines-Conquest-VHP-43mm-Mens-Watch-L37284966/p/17351003?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__17351003,utm_medium:cpc&utm_content=shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__17351003%2Cutm_medium:cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiAleOeBhBdEiwAfgmXf2XEMZSwUFZo6eOz8ggHy-9oP_CHGY0fChA3lnGWRcnfLxcTXP1kOBoC5XgQAvD_BwE

Dare I ask what people think of this and if there are any other watches to look at sub £1k and quartz – of a similar design to the Longines.

I do like coloured faces and metal straps, and am not especially turned on by divers watches.

If there is such thing as a mechanical self winding watch with an accurate movement and a GPS or similar chip inside to auto set the time once rewound through wrist movement, I’d look but I’d guess they run into many zeros – if such a thig exists.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Certina have a few similar to the Conquest you’ve linked, their DS-8 range and DS Podium particularly. They’re also part of the same Swatch group as Longines so potentially some shared specs.

Kryton57

@Stevet1, seems like you came to a good arrangement and the watch looks good, nice one!

@twonks
    , how about a Chris Ward? There are quite a few GMT’s with different coloured dials in your price range. They are lovely watches, I have a C65 compressor and its quality. Make sure you spot the “show more” button at the bottom of the page.

All the talk of Day complications made me fish out my Hamilton. I’ve posted pics before but here’s a reminder:

IMG_3642

I think I might wear it to the office on Thursday.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

CW don’t do any quartz as far as I can see?

Kryton57

Yeah but, read the bottom bit. He can sort his issue with a watch winder, several of the well known online shops are giving them away with watches in his price range.

If not, there’s quite a few quartz watches in the Swatch group – Tissot as he mention, Hamilton Khaki quartz and so on. A quartz PRX would be on trend. I know he wasnt keen on a dive watch but a Longine Hydroconquest quartz with 10% code at the top of the page would be nice.

igm

@twonks Seiko Kinetic? The best or worst of both the automatic and quartz worlds?

Not necessarily easy to find the nicer ones these days.

Wally

@Twonks Casio Oceanus S100.
    You will thank me later.
    just one more watch has a good review and the Nick Shebaz is a classic review.

Kryton57

The Oceanus is a great shout!

I considered one to replace my Citizen AT4008-51E after the JOMW review, but never made the move.

Wally

I also have a citizen promaster land radio wave that is limited to JJY Fukushima signal reception only. But the JJY emulator android app works well with headphones and ear speakers wrapped around watch to sync every 6 months.

midlifecrashes

Junghans MEGA for euro style radio controlled goodness.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I think twonks should take browse through assume micro brand websites. Scurfa, maybe. Or get over the ‘new’ need…. Personally a quartz SMP is just the best, the very very best.

twonks

Thanks for some great ideas.

Wally got it perfect. Love the Casio. Just the right thing. Looks great, super functionality and just the right name to annoy a few who don’t know any better 😎

Purchased on eBay for £340. Not the cheapest and expecting charges etc.

Thanks again.

Wally

Citizen Chronomaster IMO is rather tasty and pinnacle of quartz that you can actually buy, but way way north of £900.

Wally

Glad to help, will wear mine today, welcome to the club. Resale will not be an issue. Lastly read the manual, there are some very clever things you can do to reset all hands to absolutely hit the markers and you can micro move the date number up and down window to your liking. Mine never ever misses markers or syncing each night.

twonks

Cheers. Already seen the video on how to adjust pretty much everything.

Will read up again when it comes and post a pic of my unflattering collection. Will have 3 Casios at that point.

Kryton57

I put the AT on today which is flat as a pancake. People seem to like them but I can’t decide whether its too busy, odd looking, and needlessly complicated to operate, possibly all three…

Viewing 40 posts - 5,921 through 5,960 (of 8,690 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.