Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wasp under the helmet – again!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeeeeowch!

It’s November fer chri’ sakes! Go to sleep beeeeaaatches!

I blame this crazy mild weather.

Second time this year – always seems to happen to me once a year – stings a bit, doesn’t it?

Clink

Here’s me after wasp in helmet incident in the summer – got stung twice… 😆

https://instagram.com/p/6SmIeWN6P4/

cookeaa

When you say “Helmet”?…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Worst I’ve had was on a motorcycle,full face helmet & the thing got in there but couldn’t get out.It was trying to crawl into my nostril! 😯
    Luckily I got the bike stopped & flicked up the visor before it stung me..

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Whilst riding full speed down hill in Spain last year I got a grumpy Spanish hornet/wasp thing in my helmet… The pain of the sting got me to lock on the brakes and jump off the bike and rip my lid off… And then realised I’d landed and sat in dog shit… Not my favourite afternoon…

cheekyget
    Free Member

I always wear a bandanna under my helmet …pirate ones…Aaaarrrr!!!

That should stop the fookers

wilburt
    Free Member

Bandanas don’t stop’em, a cycling cap is better but even then no gaurentee. Since I started wearing helmets I’ve been stung two/three times a year which seems more of a hazard than my unguarded head ever had to overcome in the preceding 30 years cycling.

Wasp proofing please.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I had a Met helmet similar to this a few years back

I never seemed to get stung then.

Was a pretty rubbish lid though.

TheSanityAssassin

I got stung whilst riding earlier this year. I was on a solo 100 and giving it the full beans on the old A1 on my way back from Selby when the little bastard got stuck behind my bloody glasses. I couldn’t react quick enough as I was pulling my tripe out to keep the average speed up and doing about 30mph at the time, and it stung me right between the eyebrows, just as I thought I’d freed it.
    The pain subsided after about half an hour (I didn’t bother stopping) and, to be fair, I hit a stiff headwind as I turned onto the Pontefract road, so it was the state of my legs and general exhaustion that were causing me more grief the closer to home I got.
    I never bothered doing owt about it when I got in as the discomfort had virtually gone – but the area around the sting swelled up quite markedly overnite, and the pain came back too, so I spent a week on Piriton tablets.

xora

Its a bit of practice of rapidly braking to a halt one handed while ripping helmet off head with other hand. Managed to avoid getting stung and falling on my ass. Golfers probably thought I was insane though!

maccruiskeen

When you say “Helmet”?…

Must have been flying low

compass81

I opened a loft hatch when searching a house a couple of days ago to be greeted by an avalanche of sleepy wasps. Thank god I was stood on the right side and didn’t get the pleasure of them cascading all over me. I’m still having nightmares and shiver at the thought if it. The nest was the size of a dustbin and quite impressive if it weren’t for the horrible little buggers that made it.

growinglad
    Free Member

Had one under my Oakles a few years back….I was not pretty a few hours later, proper swollen eye socket and cheek.

Thankfully my MTB lid has mesh on the front.

One of these (although no in ASBO orange):

http://www.bikester.ch/alpina-carapax-helm-orange-cyan-360304.html

maccruiskeen

I opened a loft hatch when searching a house a couple of days ago to be greeted by an avalanche of sleepy wasps.

Loading the van, bleary eyed at 4am after a very long day I picked up some sheets of rockwool I’d been storing in my workshop and in doing so tore a wasps nest in half. Its the fastest I’ve ever transitioned from almost asleep to very very awake!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wasp under the helmet – again!’ is closed to new replies.