Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wall mounted and hinged train set board..how to do it?
  • rockhopper70

I am planning on fixing my lad’s train set to a board and fastening it to his bedrrom wall. The board needs to be around 1100cm by 80cm and quite rigid. I don’t thick I want to be going for a thivk mdf as it will be too heavy so was wondering if I could make a bit of sandwich construction, couple of thin sheet with a frame of battens between? Also, what hinges and means of holding it horizontal would you suggest?
    Ta

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plywood instead?

A set of simple door hinges will do. Erm, hooks to hold it up. Fix a batten to the wall then hinge the board off the batten so that it keeps it off the wall when vertical.

rockhopper70

what thickness would you suggest dd?

Militant_biker

My old man made me one when I was a kid, with a wooden lattice frame and fibre board maybe 8/10″ thick pinned down on top. It was a fair bit bigger than what you’re describing, so needed an access hole in the centre to get to the back of the layout.

It was fixed with pretty ordinary hinges to a substantial shelf which itself was screwed into the wall joists with burly brackets. There were then a set of small shelf brackets around the edges of the walls which it rested on, and a single leg to support the middle. It wasn’t too heavy; I could support it to lift it down when I was about 10.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Probably 12mm. If it’s a bit flexy, you could screw battens down the length (each side and down the miggle) to stiffen it. 18mm would be less flexible but might be a bit heavy…although, tbh, 1100 x 800 should be pretty light.

project
    Free Member

3 X 1 inch batton on wall,then screw another 4 inch batton onto the top, to make a rightange or basicly a shelf, this allows the fittings on the board to stand proud of the wall,then 3 or 4 x 4 inch butt hinges secured to the top piece of batton, now get some half inch mdf, Band Q cut it to size and some 2 x 1 inch battons to firm it up, glue and screw from the underside, secure to hinges, fix hinges to timber batton, mdf has little grip on its edges, cutr two legs, and hinge to underside, with stays to hold the legs in place when down.

Use cabin hooks or counter flap holders to hold it up.

If youre near chester i can make it for you.

cakefacesmallblock

An interior plywood flush door ? You should be able to get one 35mm thick 1981 tall and either 762 0r 838 wide. Reduce the length and that will give a light pretty rigid board.

geoffj

My son’s of a similar size, is on 12mm MDF. I’ve thought about hanging it from the wall a few times, but never actually got around to doing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wall mounted and hinged train set board..how to do it?’ is closed to new replies.