Home Forums Chat Forum Walking poles

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Walking poles
  • rascal
    Free Member

After an Achilles injury last year, it seems to have affected the strength in my left knee which makes descending painful. I know there’s a few walkers on here…what are your thoughts on them? Often thought of them as ‘they’re for oldies’ but if they help I’m all for it…any advice on different types appreciated too. I’m in Keswick this morning so will look/ask here too.

CheesybeanZ

We’ve got leki with the curved handles , think we got them from George Fisher – luvly shop .

angeldust
    Free Member

They aren’t cool, but you see plenty of younger people use them. Useful if you are doing lots of steep, but non-technical (i.e. not scrambling) walking, or have bad knees (like me). Also useful for shoeing away friendly cattle which scare the girlfriend and dog. The cheap ones can be heavy, have poor quality/unreliable twist lock mechanisms, and nasty rubber/plastic handles. I prefer the quick-lock lever ones over the twist lock which tend to come loose ime. The folding, rather than telescopic, types can save weight, but are fixed length so not as useful. There will be lots to choose from in Keswick (George Fisher probably a good start).

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have some, primarily used in Alps for descending where they help a lot with reducing strain on my knees. They are commonly seen with oldies as we have bad knees from a lifetime of abuse. Have a Google of alpine running, I’ve seen some very fit young mean running up very steep mountains with poles

ElShalimo

Don’t get ones with hard plastic handles, they’re horrible after 15 mins or so.
    Try to get foam or cork handles.

I got some Easton quick lock alu ones last year. They’re very good

click

pealy
    Free Member

Do you want to enjoy your walking or look cool with the pain? We’ve definitely found them worthwhile, especially on multi-day treks, but only take each and just use them when needed, the rest of the time they’re tied on to the rucksack..

mogrim

Get some with foot-long foam grips, they give you a lot more flexibility as to where you put your hands ascending and descending, and mean you don’t have to adjust the pole length all the time. Loads of younger runners use them here in mountain marathons (and longer races). Me* included.

* 43 is young, right?

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy has them, I don’t. She loves them for both general trekking and climbing, just taken them to Dartmoor with us and as usual they caused no bother to carry nor use.

If they help you I’d say get them..

Whatever your age…

wilburt
    Free Member

In 2005 I did a thing called the Caladonian Challenge which involves walking 54? Miles from Fort William to Loch Lomond, it was all either steep up or steep down.
    After 30 miles my knees were shot and decending the hills would have been impossible without sticks. I was the only one from our group of ten to finish and the only one using walking poles.
    They were Leki telescopic jobs for reference seemed fine, I wouldn’t now tackle a big hill without them.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Nip into Rathbones – they’ll sort you out.

epicyclo

I was initially amused by them but apparently there is a technique that involves using your upper body properly. I couldn’t be bothered with 2 sticks though.

When I used to run hills I preferred to carry a longish stick (staff?) of about 6′, and it got used for vaulting me down descents and leaping streams etc. It was also useful for chucking a tarp over for a bit of shelter. :)

biglee1

I find one handy for giving the dog a gentle poke when it decides to walk in front of me and thinks I need to walk as slow as my 79 year old Dad :D

Cougar

Have a look at Switchsticks. When my OH buggered her knee she went through a few and they were the best she found by a long way.

slowoldman

They aren’t cool

They are certainly cool if used appropriately and not dragged along behind or absent-mindedly prodded into the ground now and then – which seems to be the norm.

I generally don’t use them but find them useful where there may be river crossings and always carry a pair in snow – often more useful than an axe.

They will help your knees in descents. Use a pair, never just one. I have Black Diamond Expedition:
    http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Trekking-Poles/Poles/Expedition-3-Pole#.VR_IUbpamPU

Compact when carrying and flicklock clamps are much easier than screw types.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The folding, rather than telescopic, types can save weight, but are fixed length so not as useful.

Leki do an eye wateringly expensive folding pole which has an adjustment range of around 30cm from memory.

I’m not 100% sold on the use of poles, I have an IT band issue and bought some poles to see if they would help with that. The only problem is that I’m doing stretches and exercise at the same time so I’m not sure if the pain which has eased up slightly is down to the poles the exercises or a bit of both. I’ve decided to carry on using them for the time being though as I’ve started to find the rhythm of using them quite pleasant.

They are also good for pointing at young people.

Cougar

The folding, rather than telescopic, types can save weight, but are fixed length so not as useful.

The Switchstick I mentioned is foldable and height-adjustable.

rene59
    Free Member

I always carry at least one with me, usually a pair. As above the flicklock types seem a bit more secure in my experience. There are some cheap poles out there, I had a cheap one collapse on me at an inconvenient moment. I now have a good pair of Leki poles.

I use them for most descents and occasionally on climbs as well,I notice a big difference using them vs not.

Handy to have also in case of twisted ankle/knee ect, good for knocking up a shelter as well if you carry a tarp or bothy bag.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Borked knees here, and poles help me on descents. Plus they add a little confidence on uneven stuff. I’d suggest cork handles and carbon fibre, and adjustment that suits you – longer on descents for me. Avoid cheap sprung ones: I believe you need confidence in the contact with ground or rock.

slowoldman

Yes, springs are just stupid.

scotroutes

I got switched on to these more than 20 years ago when the winter mountaineering instructors at Glenmore were all using them. They reckoned it saved their knees and other joints from a lot of pain and wear, especially relevant in their job There was little/nothing available in the UK at the time so I had to import some ski mountaineering poles from Austria!

They work really well, especially once you develop the right rhythm. I’ve always used Like walking poles but I do like the Black Diamond locking system.

I didn’t get on with springs. Feels awkward when you’re descending.

boriselbrus

I’ve been using poles for over 20 years and I’ve had several types from various manufacturers including Leki.

Don’t bother with springs – pointless.

Camlocks are way better than twistlocks.

My current ones and the best I’ve ever used are the Karrimor carbon fibre ones. Very light, very strong, Camlocks and £30 for the pair from sports direct.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Been using poles now for almost 20 years since my mid 30s. One is good but two are better. Not just useful for saving your knees on descents but when ascending its like having a couple of handrails which lets you use your upper body to help get you up the hill.

Have always used Lekis. My first pair must have been about 15 years old, had regular hard use and finally succumbed to corrosion. I could probably have rejuvenated them but decided to treat myself to a new pair of Lekis with the shock absorbers. Some above have poo pooed shock absorption and I was sceptical but it works and is nice to have but not essential.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

From a emg muscle activity point of view there is no significant difference between using walking poles or not using them in either ascent or descent. What they do help with is stability control and balance, which is after all what causes the pain. You are hopefully rehabing your achilles injury still.

bones
    Free Member

I’m old (35) and wouldn’t be without them. As above, the black diamond locks are great. Also got a pair of the alpkit carbon ones, which are very light.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m old (35)

No you are not.

angeldust
    Free Member

They are certainly cool if used appropriately and not dragged along behind or absent-mindedly prodded into the ground now and then – which seems to be the norm.

Useful yes (I use them, and know how to use them properly), but I stand by my statement that they are not cool! Not really cool, in a ‘down with the kids’ sense are they? To be fair, I doubt that anyone who uses walking poles could care less about being cool.

mogrim

From a emg muscle activity point of view there is no significant difference between using walking poles or not using them in either ascent or descent.

I’m not sure about that – maybe not on a (relatively) gentle incline, but when you’re having to step down or up on a steep slope there’s definitely a mechanical advantage to being able to lower yourself down those steps, supporting some of your weight with your upper body. Obviously the overall work done is the same, but by distributing the effort across different muscle groups you can lengthen the time it takes for any one group to become fatigued.

mogrim

I stand by my statement that they are not cool! Not really cool, in a ‘down with the kids’ sense are they?

You’re walking in the mountains, it’s hard to think of that ever being “down with the kids cool” tbh. Maybe on the north face of K2, but in Keswick? :D

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Oldies?

I was in my 20’s after twisting my ankle with 150 miles to go.

Ending up power walking the last 100 miles due to using poles.

I don’t use them now but they are useful for defence against rogue animals/dogs or dodgy people or making a splint.

Who cares what others say, buy them if you need them and enjoy your walk.

CountZero

I pretty much always use a stick when out walking, but mine have been selected* and cut from hedges or bushes.
    I only use one, but that’s saved my sorry ass from sliding in an undignified fashion down steep, muddy paths on numerous occasions. And going up, too. :D
    They help take some of the stress from my shonky knees, as well.
    *My sticks have a particular shape at the top for grip, which is very difficult to find naturally. I feel more confident with a good, solid wooden stick, I’d always be afraid a light alloy or composite segmented pole would collapse.

slowoldman

Useful yes (I use them, and know how to use them properly), but I stand by my statement that they are not cool! Not really cool, in a ‘down with the kids’ sense are they?

If this guy uses poles they are cool

I’m old (35)

First thing to do is snap out of the idea that 35 is old.

andyl
    Free Member

I pretty much always use a stick when out walking, but mine have been selected* and cut from hedges or bushes.

ditto

found a nicely shaped one today and was using it but I knew it wasnt really strong enough and it snapped just as I got to the top of a rocky section :(

Wouldnt normally pick one up but fell down the stairs the other day when playing with the cat so it helped a touch as my lower back/hips are a bit sore.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

If this guy uses poles they are cool

Is that Reinhold Messner? The greatest high altitude mountaineer of all time.

First thing to do is snap out of the idea that 35 is old.

Bloody hell I wish I was 35 again!

angeldust
    Free Member

I guess we can agree we have different definitions of what is cool…

Admitting to using them caused much myrth in my office at work ( to a bunch of guys not interested in ‘outdoor pursuits’). Conversly, they seem to think moutain biking is acceptable….

mogrim

Young at 75, Carlos Soria. Lives about 15min from my house. Not that I’ve ever actually had the pleasure, but still…

slowoldman

Is that Reinhold Messner? The greatest high altitude mountaineer of all time.

It is he.

Oh look, here’s his mate Peter Habeler

He’s cool too.

benp1

Alpkit are doing carbon poles again, I’ve had a pair for years

Pacer poles are good, so are flicklocks

Moses

Leki twist locks seem to die after 3-4 years (I have a collection), so buy camlock poles. The Karrimor carbon poles are excellent and only £30 or so online.
    Yes, poles help tremendously. They are supposed to increase your speed by 10%, if that’s important. Better still, they save your knees. I’m a convert.

duckman
    Free Member

I wish I had used poles when I was younger,knee savers decending. I am a big unit ex rugby player and use locking poles rather than the screw in yins.

JoeG
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Walking poles’ is closed to new replies.