Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Walking in SPD boots
  • opusone
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a new pair of SPD shoes and I was looking at these boots:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt91-mtb-spd-boots-2015/rp-prod47344

A couple of reviewers on the site claimed that they’re OK for walking in – does anyone have any experience of doing so? I fairly frequently do a combination bike / hike thing – e.g. cycle somewhere, lock the bike up and then carry on on foot – so I would almost certainly use them for that purpose on moderate to tough hiking terrain, e.g. the west coast of Scotland.

Also, they look pretty heavy at 1.15kg for the pair – am I right that the extra weight is likely to slow me down significantly/disproportionately because of things like rotational momentum?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used to do grade 1/2 scrambles in bog standard spec spd shoes with plastic soles. Just work out and go for it

globalti
    Free Member

Er…. it looks as if those boots are designed for walking as well as cycling. I’ve shouldered the bike up plenty of mountains and the only bad bit with SPDs is when you catch the edge of the cleat “well” on a rock and pull it sideways, pulling the sole away.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used them a fair bit, and as a walking option although better than most, they’re compromised by having a chunk of metal in the middle of the forefoot, as the sole wears, that becomes more of an issue and it’s quite unpleasant on rock, though less on a problem on grassy stuff.

If I were planning to walk more than a mile or so, I think I’d either ride on flats with lightweight hiking boots or mids or shoes even or just throw some approach shoes in my pack. I doubt the extra weight is going to make any noticeable difference unless you’re a Stravaholic, in which case they may mess with with your head…

Great in snow with mini-gaiters btw, carry micro-crampons for neve/water ice and nice all-round trail-riding boots for stuff where you walk occasionally 🙂

kcal

I have those (and a predecessor pair of MT90s or indeed MT91s).

For distance walking / hiking I wouldn’t bother, but for robust, supportive boots – I use them three seasons around Scottish trails – then they’re good. The weight doesn’t bother me..

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve used MT90s for years. Just worn out my second pair, got a spare pair stashed in the loft ready for this moment. I love them, perfect for epic hike-a-bike rides if you don’t want to down the option of flat pedals.

Note – I wouldn’t wear them just for walking though.

scotroutes

I’ve used MT90s for exactly what you’re proposing. Pretty much spot on, though be careful boulder-hopping if you’ve cleats fitted 🙂

There is a point where purpose-built boots come into their own and with some of the very lightweight kit now available, it’s worth considering the option of just carrying some in – or fitting flat pedals and putting up with a (potential) decrease in grip/contact when doing the biking bit.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I believe heat loss through the cleats when walking on snow made my feet colder than they might otherwise have been. Old Lake boots, no longer made, and not quite up to what you want I feel. But I’m pleased with them.

butcher

I’ve been riding in walking boots on flat pedals recently and found it no bother at all. However, I’ve also done it in the past and found very little grip, so you obviously need to find the right pedal/boot combo. But as long as you have big enough pedal pins, you should get some grip, which I think is one of the big differences for me. At the moment I’m finding I get as much grip, if not more, than I do in flat skate shoes.

hofnar
    Free Member

Quite popular in some hard core long distance mtb events with quite some walking.

I liked my Scott Boa trails for this stuff

I quite liked my MT53 before mud killed their soles within three months of harcore riding

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Walking in SPD boots’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM