Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • walkie talkies does anyone use them
  • JACKTHELAD
    Free Member

Hi guys been thinking of buying these walkie talkies to link up with the wife,so I can keep her right in difficult situations.

http://www.apexradio.co.uk/motorola-xtr446-twin-pack-176.htm

was wondering if anyone elses uses walkie talkies, and could give advice on buying the best kit at an affordable price

thanks

jackthelad

Pook

I don't, but I'm seriously considering it with how strung out a couple of the last rides I've done have been. Might be useful to keep the front and back groups in touch i reckon

stevomcd
    Free Member

We use the Motorola Talkabout radios and they've been pretty useful. Ours are ALL currently awaiting repair due to the volume/on-off knob being turned in the wrong direction by people (our fault, poor instructions obviuosly! :oops:) but the latest ones have a different design and shouldn't suffer from this problem. Range is pretty limited and is very dependent on line-of-sight but shouldn't be a problem for 2 people on the same ride (unless you REALLY go hooning off and leave her for the wolves…).

I wouldn't bother with hands-free kits, etc. for them, they're just a pain. Keep them in your pack out of the way with the volume turned up load and use the "ring" function.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I use them with my scout group and they're quite handy, although a mobile phone does the job just as well when there's just a couple of you.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

we use them in our club to control big groups of riders out on club rides. They prove very useful in my opinion. Any decent rechargable one will do, I like the cobra range, cheap from Costco at about £28 for a pair.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I use them with my scout group and they're quite handy, although a mobile phone does the job just as well when there's just a couple of you.

Apart from radios having no call charges or reception problems!

elliptic
    Free Member

CTCSS/subchannel/privacy/interference eliminator* codes (38 per radio channel) are worth having to reduce the amount of crosstalk you hear from other users in busy areas.

Eg. a group ride on Exmoor recently when some of our radios were picking up a crane driver in Swansea dockyards from across the Bristol Channel (!)

*Different manufacturers use different terms but it's the same thing**.

**Except for DCS codes which are different, but you'll only find them on the most expensive handsets.

frenchie
    Free Member

check out Lidl,s they have walkie -talkies on offer at present.

kennyp
    Free Member

Use them sometimes when we've got big groups, but not much.

user-removed
    Free Member

I got a cheapish pair of Motorola ones for MTB photography. Got fed up of mates flying past whilst I was mid-lens change, or sitting waiting for 10 mins in the rain….

And yes, they are useful for big group rides – we had a slow group and a fast group in Glen Ogle and no phone reception, so they were handy then. Also, we stayed spread over two chalets, so we had fun saying things like, "Yikee-aye-ay m0therf*cker" to each other at three in the morning.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got a set of 4 for peanuts from tchibo a few years ago, use them on skiing and alpine biking holidays where they are good when youve been separated/are stressing that your buddy has crashed. Surprisingly good range for cheap basic kit.

snowslave

We use them on bigger rides. Sometimes it feels overkill and they're not used all ride, but there are times when they're definitely useful, especially where there's no phone signal.

Also useful on multi-car convoys or camping holidays when the kids wander off and need summonsing for feeding etc. We take them skiing too.

I've got Motorola ones which are v good. Upgraded from cheapo units I bought for beans which did the trick but weren't so robust.

antigee

again here motorolas – use for skiing with mates and kids, family rides and walks always take on holiday and days out with family groups as you can guarantee the person with a dead mobile and wailing kid will stop to do something very odd
    got some old lidl ones as well ok but main disadvantage was taking bats out to charge – integrated with charger units is essential if lazy as need to charge after every use

Marko

I've got the Motorola ones with the monitor function. Very useful as a remote door bell when I'm down the Garage and if you've got sprogs it's good as a baby monitor.
    Best use is when climbing though. 'Rubber duck to big bear.. come in…I'm safe…10/4 fancy pants…over and out. (I'll stop now).
    Hth
    Marko

alpin
    Free Member

bought a cheapo set last year before riding across the alps. 3 x AAA batteries. have rechargables so it's not an issue having to replace them.

was useful when you and matey ended up spread out/one of you punctures/matey goes riding off down the wrong track and you don't want to follow him/taking the piss when he falls over.

did have them strapped tot he shoulder straps until the cheapy clip snapped.

Onzadog
    Free Member

we use a set of motorolas with bigger groups or unfamiliar rides. Useful for when the wife has a puncture a the back or some one wants to tell the rest of the group that I've just crashed!

People do take the micky out of my radio etiquette though. I work off peoples initials. Sierra Echo calling Romeo Echo. While other friends on the net' call each other "sl4g" or similar.

keep them on the shoulder strap and ziptie the radio to the case so they don't fall out.

bassspine
    Free Member

they're good for marshalling – whistle for each short section as usual, and walkietalkie for 'whole section clear'
    I've used them on Long Distance trials http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/

Harry_the_Spider

Used cheap Motorolas when skiing and they were great. The same radios were rubbish however in wooded areas.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘walkie talkies does anyone use them’ is closed to new replies.