• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wales, Credigion travel advice. Help
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Off here two days after Christmas and have no idea what the area is like. Is it going to be a no no if there’s snow about? Actual town we’re staying in is a place called Tregaron. Any help much appreciated!

salad_dodger

The main roads are fine at the moment but the back roads are still very dodgy.

ourmaninthenorth

Good call wrightyson – I’m also off to Ceredigion (near Cardigan/Aberteifi) just after Christmas.

It’s less the roads round there, more the drive through north Wales to get there..!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The A44 road over the tops from Llangurig will be the potential problem (assuming you’re coming from that direction).
    Once you’re over there you’ll be fine.
    Plenty of trails to explore from Strata Florida, heading toward Elan. A bit fire-road-heavy but that might be a benefit at the moment.

Tregaron really is very “rural Welsh” Wales but the pub on the junction in the middle of the town is not a bad place to spend an evening at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice part of the world 🙂

Did someone mention trails? Even nicer part of the world if you have a bike 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I was near Newcastle Emlyn last weekend. The powers that be had made a great job of gritting the main roads. Even with the dump of snow on Friday/Saturday, most A/B roads were well clear.

Side roads & country lanes were a different matter though!

ourmaninthenorth

boxfish – prefect. I’ll be just up the road from NCE when I visit.

Let’s hope they local authorities have managed the same for the drive through Bala, Dolgellau, Machyn and along the coast….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Make sure you pop along to Llandewi Brefi (its about 3 miles) if you see any locals, tell them you’re looking for Dafydd. They are a freindly lot.
    Places to visit, Strata Florida Abbey, Cors Caron, Rhiannon Welsh Gold Jewellers lots of biking in the Towy forest, should be beautiful this time of year.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice one folks. I’ve got no idea with that part of Wales at all. The holiday cottage is in Tregaron itself and we’re there for new year so a visit to that pub is a certainty! Travelling from derby so the route in, is as the shat nav tells me. I’ll post back after Christmas for an update if you don’t mind then. My main worry is getting stranded with the kids in the car as they’re only 8 and 5.

Taff
    Free Member

Sister and bro-in-law live in LLangybi which is just down the road and say the roads are fine although care still needs to be taken. He’s been out on his road bike most days so can’t be that bad!

timber

You’ll be mostly travelling through Powys probably, who are fairly good at clearing all their main roads and town links. Not sure about elsewhere. Most of the back lanes in the Beacons here are just left, but you just pick routes around the hills.

Terrydactyl

Here is your pub, its ace !

Talbot

I would approach Treg from the Aber road A485 and not from the north road via Pontrhdfendigaid at this time of year.

Have a great time and say hello to the Elenydd for me!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Once you’re over there you’ll be fine.

No you wont, because the roads around here are still bad as the snow has not melted.
    Main roads open, but back roads are not ploughed or gritted.

It is a horrible soft compacted snow around here now which is impossible to ride on.
    Elan Valley will be a no-go I would have thought as is Llyn Brianne.

Brechfa is probably OK to ride, but will still under a lot of snow.

rhid

I’m heading down to Aberaeron from Bangor thursday, anyone know if that way is passable?

Also is Nant yr Arian is a ridable state? Its frozen solid on most things apart from the main roads up here!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

A470 will be clear, as will just about all A roads.

I doubt Nant is rideable, but it depends how many people have attempted it. If its packed down and enough people are riding there then it could be OK.

ART

A470 will be clear, as will just about all A roads

Apart from the bit we want to drive across to Dolgellau which is currently being shown as severely affected by snow at Bwlch Yr Oerddrws and the Crimera pass from Betws to Blaenau was closed earlier according to the Beeb. Hum tee tum, can’t wait for our journey… 😯

huws
    Free Member

+1 for nant yr arian.

Also while we’re in this lovely part of the world, anyone have any knowledge of the road conditions between Carmarthen, Lampeter and Aberystwyth (specifically Llanilar). Is the route from Lampeter to Aberaeron and then along the coast a better choice than straight past Tregaron?

fbk
    Free Member

As advised above, I’d go Newtown and across the A44 and keep away from the North – they’ve had it bad up there. Having said that, it could be raining by the time you’re going!

As for Nant yr Arian, it tends to have sheet ice on some of the decents at this time of year. Quite good fun if you can see it but, with the snow as well, I wouldn’t be too confident about staying upright for long!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wales, Credigion travel advice. Help’ is closed to new replies.