Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vuelta winner – spoilers
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Yates did it.

Mega Awesome of large proportions.

👍💨☀️🤪🤪🤪🤪👏👏👏👏👏

whitestone
    Free Member

So Brits hold all three GTs in the same season, only been done twice before:

in 1964, when Frenchmen Jacques Anquetil won the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia and his compatriot Raymond Poulidor the Vuelta, and then in 2008 when Alberto Contador took the Giro and Vuelta and Carlos Sastre the Tour.

theotherjonv

so has it never been done with three separate riders.

That said, Yates is Norvern, Froome’s Kenyan and Geraint’s Welsh, so I’m refusing to get properly excited 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Really pleased for him after the giro…favourite win of the season.

Adam for Worlds now!!!

Klunk
    Free Member

should set up  a battle royal for the tdf next year

yates vs thomas vs froome vs dumoulin vs roglic

robbo1234biking

Great result. Guessing that Valverde read the STW thread. Found out we were onto him and dropped back to remove any suspicion.

cinnamon_girl

Brilliant result, well done that man.  Always enjoy the Vuelta, prefer it to the TdF to be honest.

What a year for UK cycling!

vazaha

But, more importantly, will he now do a shoey?

vazaha
    avdave2

so has it never been done with three separate riders

No it hasn’t and are 5 consecutive grand tour wins for one country also be a first?

bikebouy
    Free Member

And, for some time, Yates isn’t a Sky rider.

Have the wheels fallen off ?

🤷‍♂️😳

kennyp
    Free Member

Firstly, totally delighted for Yates. Just as happy for him as I was for Thomas at the Tour (and indeed Froome at the Giro). He’s an exciting rider to watch (and is getting tactically better), has improved his time trialing hugely and comes across as a thoroughly nice bloke.

One thing that struck me though (and I’ve noticed this in a lot of races) is that while Britain seems to be great at winning races, when you look down beyond first place there are generally very few other Brits anywhere close. In the Vuelta for example the next Brit is 62nd (I think). Whereas there are always loads of French, Spanish, Belgian, Colombians (increasingly), Italians etc.

A curious anomaly that we seem to be great at winning races, but there still doesn’t look to be the same strength in depth as other countries. My one theory is that Sky are absolutely focussed on getting one bloke on the top step and every other rider is sacrificed to that end, with their overall position being of no importance. Though against that is the fact Sky don’t usually have that many Brits in a team.

Anyway, just my vague ramblings. We’ll be opening a nice Rioja this afternoon and toasting Simon’s brilliant victory.

lucien

Yates needs a new sunglasses sponsor now he’s more of a winner – those Oakleys don’t really do it for me.

Other than that, great result

theotherjonv

they’re not Oakley’s are they? Scott own I think.

Still hideous though.

I like Yates, he seems to enjoy riding his bike….. and had to be told at times to ease back a bit, he doesn’t have to race every day.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Vuelta winner – spoilers’ is closed to new replies.