Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Vista vs XP
  • rickmeister

Is it me or is Vista really this bad? The computer just gets slower and slower and slower….. An older XP machine takes less time to boot up and is faster between apps…. (I know, MAC’s are great, I have one from work but teh home box needs to be a pc…)

Is it possible to reload XP over the Vista software?

z1ppy

Never seen any point in “downgrading” to vista, as you need faster hardware to run at the same speed as xp on your old machine… and flashy interfaces don’t impress me…

z1ppy

oh and can’t see any issue with loading XP over the top of vista, you just select the option to wipe/format the hdd – assuming you have no data you need to save.
    Dunno if you can re-load XP over the top of vista though (as in not formating)

molgrips
    Free Member

Vista fan here. If it’s slowing down it’s something going on with your software setup. It needn’t run slow if your PC is half decent.

If you have a small partition for the OS though that might be a problem because the windows update thing keeps saving loads of data on your windows partition and you need far more than you think.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i run vista but disable all the fancy graphics rubbish. it runs about the same as XP in my opinion but seems kinda pointless (came on the machine)

rickmeister

Its a Quad Core and 4 gig ram machine performing like the gerbil on the treadmil is just about to expire.

molgrips
    Free Member

I upgraded to it from 2000 rather than plump for XP. I run it on a dual core pentium laptop 1.6ghz with 2gb ram, and also on a single core Athlon 3000 (2.2ghz) 64 bit with 2gb ram. It’s fine on both machines, which are substantially less powerful than yours.

I think you should have a look at your system setup before jumping on the bandwagon and blaming Vista. something’s wrong there.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What molgrips said, my laptop is less powerful than yours and Vista runs fine in fact very well apart from a download speed issue I’ve had after re-installing it, which was a driver conflict or summit.

Gilles

It is me or am i the only one having the message “Windows explorer has stopped working” every 5 min with Vista? Or I can’t copy any file bigger than 500MB without the same message? Or i can’t run my USB printer (Lexmark) which is supposed to be Vista compatible? Or I can’t recharge my Blackberry without the bluescreen of death when I unplugged it?????? Or my broadband is as fast as a modem because the router does not like Vista? How can you be a Vista fan? really? how?

Go XP!!!!!!!!!!!!Don’t GO vista!!!!!!!!!! You’ve been warned.

lowey

Windows 7 will be out soon. Supposedly fixed a lot of the gripes associated with Vista.

Its available for Beta at the moment.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had a go with Vista. Most of it seemed change for the sake of change, requiring re-learning of stuff that XP did very well thank you. The good stuff that I liked was available in add-on form for XP anyway (e.g. I love the Google sidebar with my mail and calendar)

I thought Windows got it right with XP for what I need from a home PC. With more and more stuff browser based the O/S seems less relevant. I find it hard to imagine what Windows 7 will do to ignite interest in O/S’s to the level it once was.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Vista vs XP’ is closed to new replies.