Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Virtual Vendée Globe 2020
  • franksinatra

Ahoy!

There was some complaint on the proper VG thread about use virtual racers cluttering up their seas, so I thought I would start a new one.

STWanchor here, currently in 331,515th position, jostling for seas with Bentandbroken who is almost in touching distance.

Forum racers that I am aware of are:

STWanchor (me)
    Bentandbroken
    Stapleford Flier
    Flatulence would be faster
    KAPOW
    Yetidave
    somewhatbehind

Who else is racing?

peterno51

Me.

The good ship ‘Womble’

franksinatra

It does seem that Somewhatbehind may need to be renamed Somewhatoffcourse. He appears to be heading for Morocco.

jonesyboy

Joneszinho here

Daniel
    Free Member

I’m in – ‘RetroEighty’

StuF

Somewhatbehind is following the Baldrick plan 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

Jockonabike curerntly loitering in 505925th place after forgetting about the start and heading to Portugal rather than due west.  Relying on it being a long race so hopefully I can make up some places

G

bentandbroken

Hmmmm…

Using the padlock can seemingly make you sail in circles for an hour or so. I am currently pointing back towards the launch :-/

Back to manual I think 🙁

bentandbroken

Overtaken by “somewhatbehind” leaves me, once again, the fat lad at the back 😀

I don’t think I will give up my day job on this basis!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have now added all the new additions. The leaders all seem to be making their way as far west as possible. Something to do with the tradewinds?

bigG
    Free Member

Is there an easy way to keep an eye on where everyone else is placed? I’m not getting the hang of finding you all

franksinatra

Using the padlock can seemingly make you sail in circles for an hour or so. I am currently pointing back towards the launch :-/

I think the padlock fixes the sail so if the wind changes direction, you go with it. I think. There’s been quite a bit of working out as we go on my ship

uphillcursing
    Free Member

bigG
    Free Member

Is there an easy way to keep an eye on where everyone else is placed? I’m not getting the hang of finding you all

If you dd them as everyone as friends then on the map we will have a green dot with a small head and shoulders symbol on the boat.

bentandbroken

I think I am probably done. My ‘spin’ yesterday means I am officially in the last 20 boats (some obviously rudderless).

There seems absolutely no chance of catching up. The wind is non existent where I am and the rest of the fleet is mostly three days ahead and in good winds.

Probably going to check out of the game.

Sums up my real world week quite well 🙁

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@bentandbroken I would keep going, there will be reversals at the front and good winds coming that means you could catch up. Long way to go.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cloudnine racing has a boat..
    Sirene3163.. not doing too bad at the minute

franksinatra

Bent and broken, I’m only just in front of you and I’ve been trying hard and not going in circles. Hang in, I need to have at least one person to race

bigG
    Free Member

B&b stick with it. I’m out to the east of you (in light winds) and I’m not going to be worrying the front of the race anytime soon.

bentandbroken

OK, thanks for all the pep talks, I guess I need to knuckle down and ride it out for a bit, but it is difficult to see thousands of boats in front and less than 10 behind…. Bad looser? Me? 😉

StuF

B&b, hang in there, this will take a while. There’s plenty of time to catch up, previous races are around 110 days. I know it’s frustrating to see all the out boats in wind and you’re just bobbing along.

There are loads behind you, I think jock is about 60,000 places behind (sorry jock)

bigG
    Free Member

Hey! After a hard day of chasing the wind I’ve reduced that gap to only 38,307 places behind. I’m almost touching his stern post….

G

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@bentandbroken – is is not more like 300,000 boats behind you? I thought I saw 700,000+ starters.

yetidave
    Free Member

Wow, on Friday I was in 163,986th place, now in 74,261th! trying to reel in Kapow and Stapalford Flyer with no success. Passing through the middle of the Cape Vede archipelago tonight, so I expect to loose some spaces as i run aground.

Good to see quite a few others joining the fun!

wors

Im a few hours behind yetidave, Kapow and Stapleford flier but plotting a similar path, looking a few days ahead i need to change course otherwise i’ll be bobbing around going nowhere!

yetidave
    Free Member

@wors, yes i think that we need to get a little further west otherwise its all going to stop in a day or twos time…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@wors and @yetidave Oi, keep away from the West. In the best traditions of British exploration, The West is the preserve of the good boat “Flatulence would be faster”.

franksinatra

I seem to be dropping places despite my best efforts. This is my first time racing so no idea if I’m doing it right.

I generally change heading so I find best boat speed then charge/plod off in that direction for a few hours. Then, after a few hours, I repeat. I try to head in a general direction of where it looks like wind will still b blowing when I get there whilst not heading too far away from race route. If the game tells me to, I change sails.

I haven’t spent any money buying full pack or anything, not sure I really want to either.

Am I missing anything. What else can I be doing to go faster? I’ve lost 10,000 places since yesterday and the rest of you (apart from B&B) are heading off out of reach.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@franksinatra – No thats pretty much what we are doing. No addons either. I think the trick is not to weave around too much, better to keep heading in the right-ish direction and looking for the weather.

yetidave
    Free Member

fransinatra, you are doing the same as me really, i want a code 0 though… Sometimes useful to look ahead windwise a few days and see directions and general quiet spots to avoid. Then maybe dont take the fastest angle, but maybe compromise to get into better wind later. Also, youve done about 1000miles so far, with another 20,000 to go. Plenty of time to make up a place or two.

StuF

Enjoying this so far – not doing great and still floating about in not much wind.

Mini StuF has also signed up, we’ll see how long that lasts but she’s enjoying it so far.

Edit: both of us have no idea what we’re doing, trying to balance boat speed against direction.

I don’t know how they calculate the positions, sometimes boats that look to be ahead (but further west) are in a similar position :shrug:

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t know how they calculate the positions, sometimes boats that look to be ahead (but further west) are in a similar position :shrug:

Don’t forget that we’re racing around a ball – basically the boats to the east are closer to the finish that those to the west. Even though they are further ahead they have to come east at some point. It’s a question of when the wind direction/speed best allows that.

bigG
    Free Member

B&B, you may need to change tack / sails. It looks like you’re becalmed in 4knots of wind.

yetidave
    Free Member

basically the boats to the east are closer to the finish that those to the west

noticed that the leader is almost in Dakar. I doubt they are going to stay the leader for too long as i dont see an easy way out for them. Light winds or sailing straight down wind to get back to the trade winds off shore to get south. For us in the east we may be well placed currently (so long as i do’nt hit Praia tonight) as after the convergence zone it looks like upwind for a bit and we are on the right side of that..

bentandbroken

@franksinatra

I haven’t spent any money buying full pack or anything, not sure I really want to either.

Am I missing anything. What else can I be doing to go faster? I’ve lost 10,000 places since yesterday and the rest of you (apart from B&B) are heading off out of reach.

Obviously I am not a guru 😀 but a couple of things that might help you…..

Last time I tried one of these I started as you have said and just tried to get the fastest speed heading in roughly the right direction. However, this is a bit like chess, you have to think a few moves (hours/days) ahead. It might be worth taking a slower tack/sail/direction now to get you ready for a lump of wind coming in in a few days/hours. That was one of my frustrations over the weekend, I saw the light wind trap heading my way and thought I had dodged it, but the ‘padlock’ did not work as I thought and I circled around and waited for the light winds to hit :-/

Second one, is that there is an Auto-sail function. This rigs the best sail for the direction you have set and the wind you subsequently sail in. In other words, when the wind changes, you don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night to change sails or risk damage. The autodial setting can be set in 24 hour increments. NB I don’t know if you take damage in this version, but you did in the one I played about 10 years ago.

Finally, I am not paying for anything with real cash, and I plan to keep it that way. However, you do start with some experience points and you can earn them somehow. These can be traded for ‘upgrades’. For me this is fair game. It might be that you can only upgrade when in port though.

PS thanks to all for the pep talks. I am glad I read them as I was judging my position by the 2D graphics on my phone. This only seems to show the bulk of the boats in contention, and then the ones nearest your boat which is why my boat looked so lost and lonely. When I read the position info in conjunction with the comments above it seems I am not doing abysmally, just badly 😀

bentandbroken

@bigG – Thanks. I was stuck doing some stuff for my mum and was unable to makes the changes I had planned in time. Now trundling along at a more more respectable 7knots :-/

bentandbroken

Bentandbroken now 402,991th out of 707,325 skippers 😀

Now that I am finding my way round the UX on the phone I am finding more stuff. For example only three of ‘us’ have done this before.

Me – About 8 years ago, but with a different login so it thinks this is my first race

One of ‘you’ with two events under your belt.

One of ‘you’ with 11 races under your belt…. and you seem to be doing very well 😉

rodderz
    Free Member

I’m sailing Rodderz. In 202,759th.

rodderz
    Free Member

Those in 1st now to the east have little chance of doing ok. Need to stay west towards Brazil to get the trade winds. But the doldrums are where it’s tough. I’ve got all the boat upgrades, was fed up of not getting anywhere overnight. So program boat and have auto sails on.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Added Rodderz and Jockonabike.

In other news it seems I am getting the reward for heading West and loosing ground to the STW armada. Long way to go though and I am away on a bike trip this coming weekend, there may not be much phone coverage.

bigG
    Free Member

One of ‘you’ with 11 races under your belt…. and you seem to be doing very well 😉

I suspect that might be me that’s started 11 VR events, and only finished a very few. I did have a fun time sailing around the caribbean when I got bored on one of the races last year. As for doing well? I’ve picked up a few places but I’ll need to head West sooner than later to catch the decent winds. That may well be my undoing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Virtual Vendée Globe 2020’ is closed to new replies.