• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Virgin Media – has anyone else noticed this?
  • real_ben10
    Free Member

We have been with Virgin media for years now and for the last couple of years our broadband has been their ‘L’ package which was ‘up to 30mb’. Now I see in ‘My Virgin Media’ that it is now called ’10’ and is only up to 10mb!

I had wondered why our internet had been running slow lately, I have emailed them and am awaiting a response.

Has anyone else had this issue?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

We’re on the ‘M’ package as only wanted phone & broadband.
    Ours went up from 10 to 30mb earlier this year when they installed one of their ‘superhubs’
    I know some people have problems, but I’ve always had a good response from just ringing them up & asking.
    (no I don’t work for, or have anything to do with virgin, just had good service)

jota180
    Free Member

XL was up to 30mb – it’s now gone to 60mb

real_ben10
    Free Member

We’ve always had good service from them in the past, certainly never had any cause to complain. Well apart from them constantly refusing to give us a free Tivo box 🙂

Can’t ring them at the mo as no phone 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

I was on the 10Mb service, got upgraded to 20Mb for “free”*

* of course there’s been a blanket price increase recently.

real_ben10
    Free Member

I did question them on Twitter earlier in the week about the ‘free’ upgrades coming at the same time a price increase, pure coincidence apparently 🙄

real_ben10
    Free Member

It may have been ‘XL’ but it was definately 30mb.

jota180
    Free Member

What does it say on your ‘myvirginmedia’ page?
    There may well be a message there asking you to call to upgrade

If you still have a Surfboard cable modem, it won’t work above 20mb and needs changing

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have seen a lot of problems with Virgin BB recently, I know it’s because of the uptake & them not having the infrastructure in place to deal with it, but no chance of them admitting it 🙁
    I think even the CEO’s office have given up on placating me by sending regional managers round, replacing the modem ( a new one about to be launched anytime soon)replacing all the wiring, re-cabling the local cab etc. But I did find out that they are due a major upgrade in the area very soon so I’m giving it go as I think it the better the devil you know.

What was surprising was that when I renewed my contract they didn’t bat an eyelid that I said I wouldn’t renew the BB side of things until the issues were resolved.

allthepies
    Free Member

I lost my service for about 7 days in the summer. Each time I complained to customer services about missed promises/deadlines I asked for £££ compensation. Got something each time and ended up with about £30 in credit.

Always ask them for compo and they’ll oblige.

takisawa2

100mb here. Was on 30mb. Pestered them for 10 mins & they offered me 100mb for an extra £3.50. Its not “really” 100mb though, 85mb at its fastest.

zelak999
    Free Member

Phone them up and tell them you want to leave.
    They will offer a great deal for the same price then!

mazz
    Free Member

Also been with them for years. Was on the xl package but recent offers seemed to be much better than my deal. Phoned them to enquire. Ended up with upgrade to their TiVo box (kept my V+ box for another room), plus a bb speed increase from 20 to 60mbps. Oh, and paying twenty quid less a month. Is worth a call.

pendlechris
    Free Member

I have been on arguing the same, then I get an email saying an increase in February, when I ring them they tell me they are putting everyone on 30mb, thinking of cancelling contract. They tell me I am the best rates they can offer me, yet my mate has just joined them and he is on upto 60mb and paying the same, to be honest we only use tv for catchup, but do need decent broadband, worried about leaving and regretting it

white101

I got offered a new super hub earlier in the year as a free upgrade (sorry when I say free I mean £5pm extra) this new hub (sorry 2 new superhubs) arrived days later and were plugged in and switched on to check out the fantastic improved service (sorry what I meant was no internet at all) unfortunatley both superhubs were not meant for me and I had the wrong MAC code and the kind man in India said I had the wrong hubs (sorry it was my fault) anyway after 3 hours on the phone he fixed, sadly I can no longer surf on the mobiles in the house and I have a spare superhub lying around if anybody wants one.
    Its 30mb max and I pay XL prices which have just gone up again.

fasthaggis

Always found them very quick to sort stuff out.
    Just spin them a yarn on the phone about being tempted by BT or whoever and they will soon give you an upgrade.

mudshark
    Free Member

Just been told my rate is going up £2.50/month, supposed to be going to 30meg but not happened yet. I don’t really use the Virgin TV – is it just me who has the problem that the picture is zoomed in a bit so I lose the edges? Easy to tell when credits on the screen as they can be cut off on the left and right.

druidh
    Free Member

It’ll be a setting on your VM box or your telly.

Philby

Have phone and broadband – phoned up and got new hub, increase to 30Mb and a reduction of £15 per month on standing charge for phones.

Definitely worth a call to them! I’ve always found them very helpful.

mudshark
    Free Member

It’ll be a setting on your VM box or your telly.

Oh really? Not my telly as it’s the same on several different ones – and they’re not fancy enough for settings like that. So the VM box then? Any ideas where?

druidh
    Free Member

Not off the top of my head, but there are a number of Picture settings – 4:3, Wide, Auto etc.

mudshark
    Free Member

Just found this – think I’ve sorted it thanks

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1106376-virgin-tv-screen-size.html

druidh
    Free Member

This thread achieved something useful then.

I guess it has to happen occasionally 😉

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

takisawa2, how did you pester them exactly? They want to charge me £12.50/m to move from 30 to 100.

Haze

They’ve been pretty helpful on the phone, problems start when Yodel get involved.

2 super hubs delivered to addresses over a mile away…and signed for by me apparently!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Have phone and broadband – phoned up and got new hub, increase to 30Mb and a reduction of £15 per month on standing charge for phones.

Definitely worth a call to them! I’ve always found them very helpful.

I had a similar experience last week; asked to be put through to cancellations and they did the above plus gave me a TiVo box and installed my current HD box in the bedroom within 36 hours of calling, worth a punt I’d say.

robdixon
    Free Member

we’ve just put an order in for BT broadband after Virgin confirmed that the ongoing network problem that sees our broadband go from 120 meg to .03 to 4 meg every evening won’t be fixed until the end of January at the earliest – this is after previous promises to fix it in December, November and October.

In the last year we’ve only had 4 months where service has been normal and for the rest of the time have been resorting to 3g dongles as Virgin can’t seem to manage their way out of a paper bag let alone manage their network.

Add in 3 replacement TIVO boxes and a couple of weeks with no landline service and it becomes quite apparent that Virgin Media is a complete joke.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Urbanhiker which other providers do you have in your area ? Just have any bumf from other suppliers while on the phone to virgin, saying things like with sky I can get all this for this much, with bt I can get this what can you do to keep my business. When that fails ask to be put through to cancellations, and tell them you want to leave, they will usually offer some decent deals to keep you.

firestarter
    Free Member

My box turns off at half six every Sunday eve and resets its very annoying

real_ben10
    Free Member

Have tried going down the threatening to leave route with them before, they offered me nothing at all! Just got a decent quote from Sky, they only want £10 to install a phone line which we don’t currently have – BT wanted £125 upfront! Lets see what they have to say for themselves when they email back.

real_ben10
    Free Member

And here is the rubbish non-response I have just received from virgin media:

Thanks for your e-mail to Virgin Media about the Broadband speed.

We understand your concern.

We’ve checked your account and can see that you are not subscribed to
    the 30Mb package. Your area will be ready by the end of January 2013 at
    that time you will get a 20Mb speed. This is the reason you are getting
    only 10Mb speed.

Thanks for providing your contact e-mail address. We can see it matches
    the one already on our records.

If you’ve any other query or if you would like to get any details about
    your account then, please go to http://www.virginmedia.com/contact and we’ll be
    happy to help.

They obviously didn’t even bother to read my email and just sent a stock response. Nice.

real_ben10
    Free Member

Update:

Spoke to Virgin and it turns out that they are throttling our connection due to abuse of their fair use policy on downloads. That’ll be the bone idle 19 year old upstairs then. Time for a stern word!!

br
    Free Member

Started with Virgin on their top level (1MB) many years ago and took all the upgrades to 10MB – then with each increase we went down a level and saved some cash.

Now moved and with BT here, 3-5MB and works fine even with a laptop, XBox and 2 iPhones running concurrently.

jota180
    Free Member

That’ll be the bone idle 19 year old upstairs then. Time for a stern word!!

You could run dd-wrt on your router [if it’s compatible] and throttle his bandwith

andywoods
    Free Member

have given in arguing with virgin just going to not reinstall when we move, we had slow broadband/no signal.. new hub… better, 1hour on the tech helpline …no better, visit by technician, another new hub.. no better then i noticed their installation team had wired our new neighbours through ours, one cable two houses, they have since rewired, better but still temperamental, sick of wasting my time chasing them, threatened to leave them, was put on hold for 15 mins to a dept that was closed. so the end of virgin in our house..

Spud

Issues here too. Broadband up and down like a yoyo. Less than a MB one minute and ten mins later 17MB. We pay for 20MB. Had new HD box and super hub put in on Monday and not really noticed an improvement. Still good to get something out them for a mild mannered moan to them. Broadband is like this elsewhere in Nottm at the moment too.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Virgin Media – has anyone else noticed this?’ is closed to new replies.