Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Video from helmet cam of Black Run on Afan’s Whites Level
  • bikesr4riding
    Free Member

Hope you like it. A bit shaky, but should give you an idea of what it's like to ride. Video: Black Run on Afan’s Whites Level

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Nice, looked like fun, is that the hardest trail?

mikey74
    Free Member

I still can't work out why it's a black rated trail.

What is the camera attached to?

BoardinBob

I'm guessing Muhammad Ali

mikey74
    Free Member

lol. The worrying thing is that at times it's not even looking down the trail

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

Hi there, the camera is mounted on the handlebars which is why it appears to be going all over the place. I've tried to mount it onto my helmet but it just wobbles about too much as is quite uncomfortable. I'll persevere with it. You'll be glad to hear that I was looking ahead at the trail in front me. 🙂

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    I'm guessing Muhammad Ali

You mean, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"? or big, heavy and clumsy?

The latter is probably more appropriate. 🙂

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – Member
    Nice, looked like fun, is that the hardest trail?

Hi. Whites Level is a great all-round trail with a bit of everything to suit all types of cross country riding. It starts with a fantastic technical climb about 6 km. At the summit you then have the option of doing the "Black Run" which is the section in the video. It then has a another four main sections each of which vary from slabbed rocks, board walk, open and tree hugging singletrack… It's great fun.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah that was a tad shaky but an excellent video.

trailmonkey

BoardinBob is gonna burn in hell for that. made me chuckle though 😆

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

That ain't a black trail. That's just routine singletrack. Not worth a special journey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

I think there's an element of comparative trail grading to consider. Is it the case that, compared to the rest of Afan, the Black section is Black. By that token, in comparison to the rest of the Surrey Hills, Summer Lightning is a Red trail, the Raven at Brechfa is Black compared to the rest of Brechfa, etc, etc, etc.

Make sense?

rockitman

Like it. Will have to go ride there, looks like fun…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

It's no harder than Llandegla Black, which is generally considered to be vastly overrated. It's about the same level as Penmachno Red, and easier than Gisburn Black, but on a level with Gisburn Red, although in parts it's easier than that.

It might be the hardest thing down there, but that doesn't mean it's black graded.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

its fun which is all that matters

akafatboy
    Free Member

it may be called the black run, but a black run it aint pmsl, when done at speed the normal white decent is far better tbh. :-))

owenfackrell
    Free Member

This is my vid of the same but done with the cam mounted on the helmet.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think there's an element of comparative trail grading to consider. Is it the case that, compared to the rest of Afan, the Black section is Black. By that token, in comparison to the rest of the Surrey Hills, Summer Lightning is a Red trail, the Raven at Brechfa is Black compared to the rest of Brechfa, etc, etc, etc.

I would actually say that Summer Lightning isn't even a red trail.

IMO I also think that other sections of Whites Level are actually more technical than the so-called "black route".

We should really start using the IMBA grading system as used in Canada and America (and in Europe?), and perhaps the level of trail centre trails may actually improve.

samuri
    Free Member

lol @ boardinbob.

fozzybear
    Free Member

no slight on you but that footage is horrid!!
    POV is poor and FOV is to tight!!

attaching to the bars is NOT a good idea.. better to be helmet mounted.
    colours and light are not handled well

samuri
    Free Member

Owen's video is smoother but the OP rides faster. 😉

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Thanks samuri 😉

It was the first but of filming that day and i was riding faster by the end of it though i tend not to ride the black due to the climb back up.
    I think its only graded black due to the step bit near the end.

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

fozzybear – Member

no slight on you but that footage is horrid!!
    POV is poor and FOV is to tight!!

attaching to the bars is NOT a good idea.. better to be helmet mounted.
    colours and light are not handled well

Hi fozzybear. Totally agree that the footage could be much steadier and the POV is better from head height. Unfortunetely I have little control over the FOV as it's a fixed lens camera. Do you have any tips on creating smooth video for trail riding? and how can I attach the camera so that it doesn't wobble about all over the place? side-mounted it tends to weigh the helmet over to one side, which worries me a littl as it compromises safety a little, not to mention comfort… Thanks

fozzybear
    Free Member

glad you didn't take is as a dig was about the camera and mounting (from the camera) not you or your riding.

we found the best way was to get some of that halfords car dash anti slip foam wrap it round the body and zip it to the helmet one front/one back, than you have almost 3/4 suspension systems to smooth it out

the bike suspension
    your legs
    your neck/joint
    the foam

FOV is a issue with origin.. yer, we went to a go pro wide.. i would like to get a go pro HD now 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I think its only graded black due to the step bit near the end.

That'd be my guess too, is rougher and steeper than anything else at Afan.

Still easy to ride, but not what a lot of riders might expect from a red route.

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

fozzybear – Member

glad you didn't take is as a dig was about the camera and mounting (from the camera) not you or your riding.

we found the best way was to get some of that halfords car dash anti slip foam wrap it round the body and zip it to the helmet one front/one back, than you have almost 3/4 suspension systems to smooth it out

the bike suspension
    your legs
    your neck/joint
    the foam

FOV is a issue with origin.. yer, we went to a go pro wide.. i would like to get a go pro HD now

No worries 🙂
    I really like the sound of your recommendation. Top advice. sounds more robust than the dangly brackets supplied with the camera which make it protrude too much. Ta

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have the same camera as you and have bolted mine to the helmet using the tripod mount and some foam and rubber so that if it gets caught on anything it will get pulled out.

flamejob
    Free Member

I like the OP's vid. It makes me want to ride my bike, which is my signifier of a good video.

As with most trails, if you're hooning it, it can be quite sketchy. Pop off that rock to the right just before the stone snake trail, then onto said snake – sketchtastic 🙂

llama

Oh yes thats not black thats green that is. Took my granny down there on her shopper last week. I was on my road bike. Fixed track bike actually. Those rocks are much smaller than they look. And they are actually fake padded rocks. Didn't you know its called Whites Level because its flat?

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

flamejob – Member
    I like the OP's vid. It makes me want to ride my bike, which is my signifier of a good video.

As with most trails, if you're hooning it, it can be quite sketchy. Pop off that rock to the right just before the stone snake trail, then onto said snake – sketchtastic

Cheers flamejob. Good call on popping off the big rock on the right, maybe next time. Admittedly I was concentrating on making it onto the stone snake, which I managed to do without coming off, unlike my compadre. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Video from helmet cam of Black Run on Afan’s Whites Level’ is closed to new replies.