Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Very neat idea…will it cause less commuter injuries/fatalities?
  • rascal
    Free Member

This looks pretty neat and would surely save lives…

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/volvo-and-grey-london-invent-invisible-paint-lights-cyclists-night-163711

Clever idea in principle.
    Would you use it?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I like the idea and would happily have it on my bike, but if it requires re-application once a week I reckon I’d manage two or maybe three applications before I stopped bothering…

lemonysam
    Free Member

This looks pretty neat and would surely save lives…

How many cyclists lives are lost as a result of a lack of high viz?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah too much hassle to keep doing it – I just stuck the scotchguard reflective tape all over my winter bike

iolo
    Free Member

No idea, but more visibility can only be a good thing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

All the times I’ve been involved in accidents/near misses.
    1.The driver has seen me….and has thought f@%$ it anyway.
    2.They were’nt even looking in the right direction….I could have been on fire and they would’nt have seen me.

scotroutes

Fine until cyclists start getting the blame for any accidents when they haven’t applied it (see; helmets, high-viz etc)

Edit: and, given it washes off, where does it all go – isn’t there a pollution issue?

richmtb

Its not a bad idea but…

A sheet of scotch tape cut up and stuck on the bike has the same effect and doesn’t wash off.

A lot of road/commuting tyres have reflective sidewalls anyway

And drivers looking properly is the answer anyway

Rockplough
    Free Member

Volvo are just rebranding this stuff. ‘Invisible Bright’ is the so-called life paint, water based paint for textiles only. ‘Light Metallic’ is oil based and has been used on the bikes/helmets.

ps. Wouldn’t bother myself. I use reflectives and properly bright lights already. If someone hits me despite that then I doubt whether visibility is the issue.

STATO
    Free Member

March… MARCH!! does no one read article dates anymore?

I wonder how many lives it has ‘saved’ since then.

medoramas
    Free Member

I think this is a great idea. Doesn’t require a lot of effort to make yourself much more visible. Thumbs up!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Victim blaming bollocks..part of the ongoing campaign to blame people for getting in the way of cars.

Coming next will be vw sponsored pollution filters for prams cos parents will be irresponsible for taking their kids outside without protecting them.

Of all safety interventions PPE is the least effective and should be considered last….1st you remove or control the hazard..keep the agent that causes the damage under control.

It isn’t about cyclists safety..it’s about diverting attention from what the safety issue is.

midlifecrashes

And drivers looking properly keeping their cars out of physically segregated and protected proper cycling facilities is the answer anyway.

FTFY

molgrips
    Free Member

A sheet of scotch tape cut up and stuck on the bike has the same effect and doesn’t wash off.

Yeah but it’s white – this is invisible.

I’d like to spray my frame with it then spray lacquer over the top…

Rockplough
    Free Member

The frame paint is not invisible. It’s grey. White spirit attacks it so don’t think lacquer would work.

Could someone please spray obscenities on their dog with the ‘Horse and pets’ version and post pics? Please?

Rockplough
    Free Member

He he.

ampthill

I’d love to know the figures on cyclist visibility

Does anyone know of any?

STATO
    Free Member

I’d love to know the figures on cyclist visibility

Does anyone know of any?

What i do know is fitting a blinding flashing light does nothing if the driver is looking the wrong way, or you ignore road markings and just ride where you want (as the lad i saw flying over a bonnet a while back did, 5 flashing front lights and hi-viz wont help if you cut across hatchings instead of following the lane correctly).

Bez

“I’d love to know the figures on cyclist visibility
    Does anyone know of any?”

I know of a couple of studies (there may well be others) can’t recall the references right now. One showed no effect on collision rates or hospital admissions, the other showed reduced collision rates. I recall some criticism of the latter’s methodology but again can’t recall the details. Might try and dig them up later.

Edit: Ah. Links to two showing no effect:
    https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/446994527971454976
    And the one which showed an effect:
    http://road.cc/content/news/139527-high-vis-works-says-danish-study

eatplants
    Free Member

my lorry is big and orange it has six flashing orange lights on the back , but it didn’t stop another lorry driving straight into the back of me at 50mph in March , it would seem looking where you’re going is the most important thing, but being as visible as you can can’t hurt.

scaredypants

What i do know is fitting a blinding flashing light does nothing if the driver is looking the wrong way,

the blinding flashing light might be exactly why the driver isn’t looking your way

kcr
    Free Member

No idea, but more visibility can only be a good thing.

Presumably, if this paint is such a good idea, Volvo will be painting all their cars with it, to make them as visible as possible?

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s a well meaning but crap idea. Visibility really isn’t the issue. Trees aren’t covered in high vis, country lanes don’t have lane markings. Most drivers manage to stay on the road and not hit the trees. The ones that do hit the trees – well it’s not because of lack of high vis on the trees. Same with bikes.

vincienup
    Free Member

I appreciate it’s not a fashionable view, and I am strongly in favour of safety kit including good helmets, lights etc but it makes me extremely angry that there’s a growing idea that cyclists ‘have’ to wear high visibility.

My wet commute jacket *is* a very hi vis orange NiteVision and I do use good lights sensibly when appropriate, but it makes no sense to try to address poor observation skills and excess distraction in other road users through dressing the victims more brightly. I don’t habitually wear high vis.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Someone has been busy decorating the Wyre forest with this stuff . Quite funny on a night ride to see massive illuminated penises sprayed on the trees as I rode past.

molgrips
    Free Member

but it makes no sense to try to address poor observation skills and excess distraction in other road users

Sure, I’ll just log onto CRC and buy better awareness for other road users for £16.99 instead of that reflective kit I was going to get.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Someone has been busy decorating the Wyre forest with this stuff . Quite funny on a night ride to see massive illuminated penises sprayed on the trees as I rode past

😀
    Now there’s a whole set of opportunities I’d never thought of.

cookeaa

This has been out a while, my mate mentioned it and it took us all of ten seconds to decide it’s most obvious use would be covertly stenciling obscenities and pictures of spunking cocks all over each other’s jackets and/or cars, like Banksy only more purile and without any sort of message other than “I associate with gits”…

Reflective tape is already all over my bike and helmet for commuting, any extra visibility is great and buy this paint if you believe it will help, but those really committed to bad driving will still fail to observe you somehow…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Very neat idea…will it cause less commuter injuries/fatalities?’ is closed to new replies.