• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Used Brompton prices
  • poolman
    Free Member

This isn’t a stealth wanted ad…

I am looking at sold prices on eBay for used Bromptons and am assuming there’s a waiting list for new, as nearly new ones seem to be going for not much less. Or is it because bidders get carried away, or don’t know any different.

There’s a few on Gumtree but again not much less than new.

I have seen a few pop up on here, does the price just depend on how fast the seller wants a deal? The last Brompton I bought was almost brand new and below 500, but that was 6 years ago.

Apart from gummy, eBay and here where do good used Bromptons get advertised? And what do they go for, I would get a titanium at the right money.

frankconway

Why not go for a Moulton New Series Double Pylon for……£16,250.00 – decimal point is in the right place!

smurf
    Free Member

Are they cheaper in January?….middle of winter, people need the money after Christmas etc etc

My only other thought is to use a snipe service to increase the chance of a decent price.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cheap Bromptons are almost always wrecked – because the frames tend to last for ever, people can sometimes run them into the ground and reach a point where the frame is okay but every component is worn out.

If I see a very cheap Brompton, I tend to assume it’s stolen or there’s something wrong with it. They just don’t depreciate the way MTBs do.

poolman
    Free Member

OK thanks, very useful. I will keep looking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just call a shop to find out the lead time. You have checked new prices yes?

It’s a while since I looked but remember nearly new going for almost retail. I’ve seen plenty wrecked cheap ones too.

Not sure I have an answer! Keep looking…

Edric64
    Free Member

They get wrecked because they are made with cheap parts !

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, yes, but I’m assuming one of my Rohloff Disc Bromptons is a bit out of the OP’s budget 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    They get wrecked because they are made with cheap parts !

Bollocks. All the wearing parts are fine. People just don’t look after them.

aP
    Free Member

The cranks are made by Stronglight, the hubs are good, the rims are hard wearing, the new brake levers are less flexy than the old ones, the dual pivot brakes are good. I ride my Brompton pretty much every working day between 10-30 miles. It’s 5 years old, I’ve just replaced the wheels this year – I’ve seen some people on here complaining that they need to replace their commute bike wheels every year….
    …I don’t buy the “cheap parts” thing.

bencooper
    Free Member

The gear shifters were a bit cheap and plasticky, but they actually worked okay – and the new 2017 shifters are much better.

aP
    Free Member

Ah. Hadn’t realised that there were new shifters. Dammit.

bearnecessities

This just popped up on eBay and seems good for the price (I’m not an expert though).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VGC-brompton-folding-bike-M3L-with-rear-rack-/162259299708?hash=item25c7686d7c:g:C4gAAOSwHMJYE1PZ

aP
    Free Member

That’s at least 5 years old, probably more, and it has the old brakes which aren’t “awesome stoppers” – also the front dynamo light appears to have lost its cover.

Andy

OP I would:

Research and decide the model and age I want.
    Do an ebay search on Newly Listed models of that type near you at least once a day (and check Gumtree).
    When one comes up that suits, check the seller is legit, get the frame number and check that. Offer the seller cash on collection out of ebay.
    Go and collect.

bearnecessities

That’s at least 5 years old, probably more, and it has the old brakes which aren’t “awesome stoppers” – also the front dynamo light appears to have lost its cover.

Well it still sold within an hour of being listed 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks v good advice, I will keep looking may need to up my budget a bit.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Do the decent thing and get yourself a Dahon. A superior product in every way apart from branding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol Luke. You tool!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Re waiting list – No. I was in a branch of Cycle Surgery in That London’s Famous City of Westminster the other day and they had upwards of 20 Bromptons built up and on the shop floor. Given the other branches they have, there would be 100+ available from stock within a couple of days, at most.

My LBS usually has five to ten built up and on the shop floor in the wilds of Wiltshire.

So, if one of those fits your chosen spec, there’s almost no waiting list.

Granted, if you want something bespoke, colours, etc, then yes, you have to wait for it be built.

cozz
    Free Member

couple of years back I bought a 2 speed one for my wife, to see if she would use it to get to the bus in the morning (about 1.5 mile) and about 1 mile at other end

she loved it, paid £500 (wish ) second hand

then got a email list of clearance bikes from edinburgh bike coop, listed a 2 speed last years model ex display (slight mark on chain stay) brompton in bright pink – £610

so bought that, and sold the first one for what id paid

aP
    Free Member

Well it still sold within an hour of being listed

It might have done, it doesn’t mean it was a prudent buy.

bencooper
    Free Member

That one was in nice condition for the age, but it’s more like 15 years old probably – old short-wheelbase frame, old rubbish brakes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Me colleague just bought one 3 months ago costing him £1.4K plus – six speeds, rear rack, upgrade tires, Brooks saddle with custom blue colour. The ride is good based on my experience of test riding his bike, but now his Brooks saddle front side has twisted to one side not sure why.

Saw the 2016 or 2017 version with new “plasticky” gear shifters, which look fine but not sure about the durability.

benp1

I bought one on C2W, the net price is the same as the 2nd hand price

There are lots made up, but not always in the exact spec and colour you want. If you’re not too fussy then there’s no wait time

hora
    Free Member

Buy a new Brompton for c850. Run it for three years then sell for 600?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Used Brompton prices’ is closed to new replies.