Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Urgent information required.
  • merlinxlm
    Free Member

I’ve just received my new shiny BMC FS 03, XT. Must say, it’s a lovely bike, quite a good spec. This is my first 29er full sus, I find that the stand over is very high. I can touch the floor with both feet, but not both flat on the floor at the same time. Is this normal with a full sus 29er? I’m quite short at 5ft3″, I do want to progress to a full sus. As I’m riding a lot now, I’m hoping that this bike will help with the lower back pain that I some times get after a few hours on the bike. I”ve done some research about 29er full sus bikes, and they all seem to have this issue, is this correct? Il really do like the bike, but not to sure what to do with it. Fair play the company that I ordered the bike from, have said that I can try out the bike on the road, jut to try the size. They did advise me that the stand over hight of a 29er full sus isn’t the same thought of a HT? In reality how important is to to be able to place both feet flat on the floor?

Thank you.

scotroutes

Physics, innit.

Start with a tall wheel, add some suspension travel, top it off with a frame designed to keep it all going in a straight line and it’s always going to be a challenge to package up for the shorter rider. I suspect you need to look at 650B and/or a different frameframe design.

singlesteed
    Free Member

So what is the urgent info you require ?

geoffj

5’3″ on a 29er may be your problem

robdob
    Free Member

What size did you get?

I can’t help thinking your height makes you more suited to a smaller wheeled bike.

wwaswas

Not sure both feet flat on the floor is a goal in itself. If the rest of the bike proportions are a good fit them that’s more important.

acidchunks

In reality how important is to to be able to place both feet flat on the floor?

To me it would suggest the frame is too big and might get in the way as you move the bike around underneath you whilst riding (cornering and the like).

from the pics i could see on google the top tube on the bike seems quite high, the majority of fs bikes these days have a dropped TT.

I’d echo what scotroutes has said, for your height 650B is probably more appropriate than a 29er.

johnners
    Free Member

It sounds like you bought it without being able to try it for size. If you suspect it doesn’t really fit you, Distance Selling Regs are your new best buddies.

mjsmke

At 5ft5 with short legs i get the same problem on bikes with a straight top tube. Sit on it with your feet on the pedals then jump off the saddle and pedals to the floor. If you hit the top tube hard enough to hurt in my opinion it’s too big.

tpbiker
    Free Member

if you have short legs this might be an issue, but as log as the tt length is ok surely thats the main thing.

That said BMCs did come up fairly funny sizes when i was looking. The hardtail had a 19 inch seat tube in medium..

shandcycles
    Free Member

5’3″ and 29″ wheels is a bad idea. Add in suspension and it gets worse. I imagine your bars are away up in the sky somewhere too?

Chunk
    Free Member

Urgent… I cant stand over my bike with both feet flat on floor??????? Just wait till you do get something urgent, you can call that emergency 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Little wheels for dwarfs and big wheels for giants… I still chuckle at height challenged folk riding 29 it looks so uncomfortable and Unstable

allthepies
    Free Member

Urgent ? 😆

acidchunks

Well it got attention, unlike the same post yesterday which went unanswered.

merlinxlm
    Free Member

I have to contact the supplier by Monday to arrange the collection of the bike, quite urgent. I’ve decided to send the bike back, so many negative, but supportive comments. I’ll stick with my White alloy 19 for now. Thank you all for the advice.

Thank you.

vincienup
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re sorted, but bike size is a bit subjective depending what you’re doing. For more AM climby/big fast downy riding most these days seem to ride a frame that might be considered on the small side by traditional sizing, also with short stem and wide bars for extra leverage, and compensate on the climbs with a lot of seat post. More long spin/tech xc types light prefer slightly larger frames. DH people tend to value long top tube above all. In short, traditional ideas of sizing are generally adjusted to prioritise some aspects of riding at expense of others in a compromise. What works for you is what’s right. If you ain’t happy with it, you won’t ride it.

I bought a way too small bike when iI got back into it, then overcompensated with a couple of too-big larges. Eventually I got size right for me with and I’m normally M. 26’ers and 650, I’m 178cm with 32″ inside leg (sorry for units mix). I still have one of the 20″ bikes and it’s way big for actual mountainbiking but rides well for days I just plan to ride along moors or something…

Now the heat is off and you’ve decided to return it, at risk of sounding unhelpful I’d try and ride a few of your mates’ bikes or have a play in a shop or two. I’d agree a 650 may be more suited.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

height and wheel size not important here, that is mostly just BS from people trying to have an opinion.

On a mountain bike you should be able to put both feet on the floor and stand over the bike. There are plenty of FS 29’rs out there that would fit you I reckon. The shortest rider I know is just finishing up an XS Rocky Mountain Element which looks to size right.

I would suggest returning the bike and finding some you can try for size first.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 6ft 2″ & have loads of stand over, I can sit on the top tube with bent knees & still but both feet flat on the floor.

Maybe consider 27.5 if you are 5ft3″? I hope a shop hasn’t advised you on bike fitting!

dave32
    Free Member

As Evans is sole supplier why not order a few in, in dif sizes and see what feels right? Just get them sent to your local store,thats what I did with my Trailfox.

Jason
    Free Member

height and wheel size not important here, that is mostly just BS from people trying to have an opinion.

+1

My wife is about 5′ 4″ and happily rides a small (might be XS) Scott Spark 29er, and prefers it to her 650b hardtail. It just depends on the frame design on how much stand over clearance there is. The biggest problem she has found is trying to test out really small frame as shops rarely stock them.

rOcKeTdOg

My wife is about 5′ 4″ and happily rides a small

Women also have longer legs which helps

merlinxlm
    Free Member

Just confirming that its a XS size frame, here is a link to the actual model that I have bought, http://www.merlincycles.com/bmc-fourstroke-fs03-mountain-bike-29er-74874.html. I bought the White XT spec in XS. Gutted that its a little too big for me, as there is a huge discount on this model.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Just purchased a size small Commencal Meta 29 and at 5’5″ i was a bit sceptical to begin with because of the wheel size but when my 650b was waiting on parts i hired a couple of 29ers at my local trial centre for curiosity mainly.
    The 29 er blew me away 😀 speed and corners wins over the 650b for me.
    Absolutely love riding it,standover is not an issue when your riding 😉

merlinxlm
    Free Member

If you don’t mind me asking, what clearance do you have when both feet are on the ground?

onehundredthidiot

Become a track stand guru.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Urgent information required.’ is closed to new replies.