Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Urgent Hope freehub question – are all pawls the same ? (answered)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As above, my freehub was half-sticking – if I pushed my bike, sometimes the pedals would rotate, and there was a lot of chain noise, so I've stripped it, and one of the pawls is chipped. I have some pawls from an old hub, which look to be a bit longer, but I can't tell if the ones I'm comparing them to are just worn. I need to get it back working for the ride tomorrow evening…

[edit] and no, I don't know which hub it is, or how to tell. It has a steel freehub body.

jordie
    Free Member

what type of hope?

bigyinn
    Free Member

What variety of hope hub you running? All xc pawls are the same, and I think the pro2s are different.

jordie
    Free Member

the pro 2 are definetly different than xc

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the hub has little biro springs to engage the pawls. CRC says "fits all rear hubs"

like this:

and not like this:

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm going to try it out and see if it:
    a) goes round
    b) clicks
    :o)

jordie
    Free Member

the top picture is for a XC hub 3pawls the picture below is a Pro 2 4 pawls if you old hub is a xc and newer one is the same then i would swap them over

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just had an email from Rudeboy asking if I'm OK after posing actual bike questions 🙂

The reason I asked is, I know the design has changed, as the old XC hubs had a bigger drive side main bearing

sputnik
    Free Member

Havent seen a post by rudeboy for ages, how long is he still 'on the bench' for ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as far as I know he prefers to lurk as he gets overexcited if he joins in 🙁 He'll probably boycott me now for outing him…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

subsidiary question: what is the point of a nailbrush if it won't remove the hub gunk from under your nails ? I'm scrubbing away frantically, and the shite is saying "Scrub all you like boyo, I'm going nowhere!" 🙁

Karinofnine

you have long nails?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you have long nails?

about 1.5mm on fingers, 2mm on thumbs – which is where the black grease is lodged. I hate to cut them too short, it feels odd and interferes with sense of touch.

coatesy
    Free Member

You've got Sport/xc hub pawls there, early xc hubs did have larger pawls than later models, however I doubt whether you'd be able to get the large type into the slot for the smaller type.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

early xc hubs did have larger pawls than later models, however I doubt whether you'd be able to get the large type into the slot for the smaller type.

oh dear, it's in now and apparently working fine, though it did look to be at least .5mm longer!

coatesy
    Free Member

Much bigger than 0.5mm difference, honestly don't think they'll physically fit so guess you're ok.

Karinofnine

I stick my finger-ends into a tub of nivea creme, so it goes under my nails – leave it for a bit then gently clean with tissue – careful not to pull your nail away from your finger tho -it hurts!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

thanks for the tip Karin 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Urgent Hope freehub question – are all pawls the same ? (answered)’ is closed to new replies.