Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Urge to buy new bikes
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

All these details of 2012 bikes got me looking and now I have an itch that begs to be scratched. I can’t really afford it at the minute, yet I can’t stop thinking about a new ride. Trying to work out how much I can raise by selling two I’ve got – yet there’s buts I’d like to keep to swap across, so the sales couldn’t take place initially either!

How often do you change bikes? I’m not talking to the serial bike swappers just Joe average

tazzymtb

there’s a fairly constant rotation at tazzy towers, usually just frames though as I haven’t bought a complete bike for years. I seem to have settled with what I’ve got for a while but now have urgings to sell my full boinger, and replace with either something big wheeled and loony like a N9, yelli screamy or paradox or go for a mega mile munching light weight thing.

Oh and my amazing old on-one prototype is on it’s last legs so unless I can get something else that plays well with Jones Ti Truss forks, I’ll have to go for something more conventional and sell of my jones front end 😥

Oh and I NEED a proper fat bike as well (come on, on- one get your bums in gear)

M6TTF
    Free Member

I looked at a frame and fork swap but with the inevitable extra bits needed it doesn’t work out that much cheaper overall, so I’m then back to chopping in 2 bikes to minimise outlay

orena45

Same with me except I’ve been eyeing up an Orange Five frame for ages to consolidate and replace my Trek Fuel EX and MmmBop. Drives me nuts somedays!

Wookster

Yep always on the look out! But as time has gone on the need for bling bits has reduced, slx is great stuff no need for all the bells and whistles on forks. Saying that its alway Thompson stem and seatpost…… 😆

iainc

alwys thinking about it and trying to resist. usually update componenents quite regularly, but my hardtail frame is 5 yrs old, my 5 is an 08 and my Jake an 07…….

I fancy a new 5, a Cotic Soul and a Spesh Roubaix 🙂

….spare £6k anyone ??

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am going to wait until my Fox fork dies. By then the wheels will be done-for and the frame very battered.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have a mate who in the past 4 years I have been riding with has owned a:-

Santa Cruz Blur
    Whyte E120
    Intense 5.5
    On One ridgid singlespeed
    On One Scandal singlespeed
    Lapierre Zesty
    Trek Topfuel
    Niner air9
    Niner rip9
    Giant XTC 29er
    Commencal Meta 5.5
    Titus Rockstar

He’s got the bike buying bug worse than anyone I know 🙂

br
    Free Member

You need to take a step back, and look at the riding you do, and why your current steeds’ are no good.

I’d swapped/upgraded a few times and found that neither of my two bikes (XTC carbon and S-Works Enduro) were really fit for most of my miles. So bought a cheap 456 frame and just ran it with the builds from the two other bikes, eventually selling the original frames and later buying a 456Ti.

Still got it two years on, although the componants have been upgraded many times.

Now when I have the itch, I just buy something for it – lately I’ve got into night riding, so lights.

Olly
    Free Member

Same with me except I’ve been eyeing up an Orange Five frame for ages to consolidate and replace my Trek Fuel EX and MmmBop. Drives me nuts somedays

Andy is in that exact same situa…..oh wait hang on.

Rorschach
    Free Member

On the ‘watch’ list at the mo.
    Canfield Yelli Screamer.
    Niner One Niner.
    Salsa Selma Ti.
    Giant TCR Sl Isp (actually thats on its way 8) )
    Trek Scratch
    A fat front end.
    Trek Session 88.

Olly
    Free Member

i find i get the itch when i havent been riding them much.
    ive been “off the bike” for over 3 weeks now. Its ass.

I have 4.

A townie/shopper/cruiser/towpath crusier. Its perfect, and wouldnt change a thing on it.

A Patriot 66: built up as a “big bike”

A Trance, short (4″) travel trail bike

a single speed 456 summer season.

i ride the 456 a fair bit in the week, the trance for weekend xc days, and the patriot for uplifts.

however, i havent been out on a proper XC day since mid summer, so the trance hasnt moved.
    i ride the 456 mainly because i dont want to ruin the trance :s which is utterly chuffing pointless.

im looking to consoliate too.

cotic soul, with all the trance bits on it, as a geared HT, and sell the 456?
    then again, the trance is SOOO fast on the rough stuff, would i miss it?

decisions decisions…

currently just going to accept that the trance will get grubby and wear out, and ride it more. Retire the 456 for a bit. maybe that will balance things out.

Clink

unless I can get something else that plays well with Jones Ti Truss forks, I’ll have to go for something more conventional and sell of my jones front end

Might be interested if you do sell 😀

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Same with me except I’ve been eyeing up an Orange Five frame for ages to consolidate and replace my Trek Fuel EX and MmmBop. Drives me nuts somedays!

the trek frame is better why do you want to downgrade

jambon
    Free Member

Just get out and ride. (although I know what you mean).

angryratio
    Free Member

I’m now a two bike guy.
    Currently using a Pompino built with flat bars constantly for commuting, and, general whooshing around.
    The full sus sits around most of the time until i go for a night ride.

easygroove
    Free Member

would love a new frame but my 2004 nicolai wont give up and is doing a great job …..i’ll just have to keep waiting

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I used to be terrible at changing bikes; after getting the nth new steel hardtail that rode broadly similarly to the others and beginning to wonder about *another* one, I thought to myself, “hang on, why do i *really* want to change things?” Realised it was my life and not my bike that needed changing and, after a period of ‘financial readjustment’ in which i rode what i could get, have been enjoying the same ride ever since. ymmv.

GJP
    Free Member

I used to regularly chop and change and buy at least one new bike every year, but for the last two or three years I have been very disciplined, since prices when sky high.

In the last 12 months I have sold my Felt F1, my other Ti Roadbike, and a Kona HT, to raise some cash for a new ride and free up some space.

I am currently down to 1 road bike, 1 FS and one HT. Really this is all I need but I still can’t help lusting over all that 2012 carbon loveliness.

onewheelgood

why are the 2012 bikes so much cheaper than the 2011 models? Seems to apply to road and mountain bikes. The Anthem X1 was £2950 this year and the 2012 bike is £2400, as an example.

orena45

Olly – Member
    Same with me except I’ve been eyeing up an Orange Five frame for ages to consolidate and replace my Trek Fuel EX and MmmBop. Drives me nuts somedays
    Andy is in that exact same situa…..oh wait hang on.

😀

jumpupanddown – Member
    the trek frame is better why do you want to downgrade

Don’t get me wrong, the EX8 is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. BUT…since I built the MmmBop up nearly a year ago, the EX8 has barely been touched. I prefer the angles of the MmmBop much more, and my riding is less about the miles these days and more about short, fun XC with some play/DH thrown in…ideally now, I want a tough, slack, low maintenance full suss trail bike which kinda combines the EX8 and the MmmBop and the Five seems like the perfect combo.

That’s my justification to myself anyway 😉

Bregante

why are the 2012 bikes so much cheaper than the 2011 models? Seems to apply to road and mountain bikes. The Anthem X1 was £2950 this year and the 2012 bike is £2400, as an example.

Not sure about that, are the specs the same? I do know that the previous “bargain” Heckler frame has gone up to £1099 👿

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Urge to buy new bikes’ is closed to new replies.