Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Urban photography- derelict industrial/ military places
  • brack
    Free Member

I know there was a topic about this a few months ago .

Other than 28 days later any other good sites

CalamityJames
    Free Member

bencooper on here has an amazing website, will try and dig out the link. Always makes me want to go explore and take photos!

jackthedog
    Free Member

[tannoy]Ben Cooper to the forum.[/tannoy]

CheesybeanZ

Theres a few groups on flickr with some brilliant photography . Sofaking takes some very interesting shots .

grum
    Free Member

Only done a little bit but here are some of my efforts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/sets/72157625085612979/with/6877175047/

Some of bencooper’s stuff is really good.

This site has some interesting stuff.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/26QM?r=714322

bencooper
    Free Member

Aw shucks 😉

28DL is the best forum, other good places are:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk
    http://www.uer.ca
    http://secretscotland.org.uk

And my site is http://www.transientplaces.co.uk

somafunk

ben : Your site is bloody good and bookmarked for later, i’m a firm believer of exploring for exploring’s sake….despite what the warning signs and sometimes razor wire may infer.

Here’s a pic of a sad destroyed tank used for ordanance practice on the Dundrennan Army Range down here at Kirkcudbright, It’s also where they’ve tested/fired over 6000 shells/30 tonnes of Depleted Uranium rounds so naturally i ride my bike round the army range and coastline area as much as i can as there’s a few decent trails criss-crossing the site along wi big old empty houses that have been desolate since the Army commandeered the land decades ago, it’s good to annoy them and there’s also the excitement of being chased by an Army Landrover across fields and suchlike.

Pish…tish and nonsense, the worst i’ve found in 25 yrs is a pile of used smoke grenades, but i did once “happen” across a crate of smoke grenades that contained coloured smoke, they gave us immense fun on our night ride, the forest was just like a scene from “Apocalypse Now” with our HID lights getting refracted off the smoke, impossible to ride in it but bloody good fun 😀 .

TooTall
    Free Member

it’s good to annoy them

Not really. It’s a bit stupid, especially given what might be around out there.

rs
    Free Member

I was on holiday in Croatia about a month back, we were staying near Kupari Beach just south of Dubrovnik and the beach is surrounded by Military hotels bombed out 20 years ago and left as they were, apparently tender is out soon to redevelop them. It was quite surreal.

Even had a little twister 🙂

I believe this one was Tito’s personal hotel, whatever that means.

Inside Titp’s hotel

globalti
    Free Member

Have a look at Elena Filatova’s site, read about her motorbike rides inside the exclusion zone at Chernobyl:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

kevj
    Free Member

Hey Ben, does Nurse Payne still explores? Her photos were excellent.

hora
    Free Member

Wow thanks Ben

eskay

Ben – How do you get that shift in perspective on some of your photo’s, for example:

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s just a wide angle lens that’s not parallel to the ground, if it’s not at 90° to the floor all verticles will converge.

kevj
    Free Member

A ‘wangle at a jaunty angle’

shermer75
    Free Member

Not urban or military, but I love these:

Makes you feel weird inside

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, it’s just a silly wide angle – 12mm on full frame.

Hey Ben, does Nurse Payne still explores? Her photos were excellent.

I’m not sure – haven’t seen anything from her for ages.

The Russians take it to a whole ‘nother level: http://dedmaxopka.livejournal.com

wrecker
    Free Member

Brilliant site Ben.
    Have you ever come across any treasure/trinkets or do you take only photos?
    Tootall is right about that range. Unless you know what you’re looking at/for they can be very dangerous places.

stumpy01

bencooper – weird how you start looking into things and then other things of relevance pop up.

I have just started reading a book about the women who worked in the munitions factories in WWII, clicked on this thread and found your ROF Bishopton pics. Very interesting! Thanks. Gives me something to picture now when reading the book!

bencooper
    Free Member

Have you ever come across any treasure/trinkets or do you take only photos?

No, for two reasons – it’s theft so morally wrong, and it also means you can be arrested and charged with a criminal offence. Most trespassing isn’t criminal – though the explosive factories were 😉

I do sometimes find things which should be in a museum, so I alert various trusts and museums and sometimes get stuff rescued – the Glasgow Uni Archives Service are pretty good at that kind of thing. I also managed to get permission to take a model paper machine from a mill in Inverkeithing, which is now sitting in my shop:

I have just started reading a book about the women who worked in the munitions factories in WWII

Is that the book about Chorley? What got me interested was that tens of thousands of people worked in the Scottish explosives industry – at one point Scotland was the world’s largest manufacturer of explosives – but no-one has bothered documenting any of it.

wrecker
    Free Member

No, for two reasons – it’s theft so morally wrong, and it also means you can be arrested and charged with a criminal offence

Bet you’ve been tempted though?

bencooper
    Free Member

Bet you’ve been tempted though?

Definitely. But it’s even more tempting to play with powered up cranes 😉

project
    Free Member

subbrit is also good

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s theft so morally wrong

And trespass isn’t?

bencooper
    Free Member

And trespass isn’t?

No. We’re not talking about going into your front room and taking pictures of your stuff, we’re talking about mostly derelict sites that belong to big companies who don’t care about them. Morality is based on harm – what harm is caused by me breathing some air and taking some pictures?

What’s immoral is large companies who have a responsibility to listed buildings, a responsibility to clean up their messes, a responsibility to their employees not to treat them like machines. I’ve seen bad examples of all three. Listed buildings which “accidentally” catch on fire at just the right time, pollution and environmental damage that is just left for future generations to deal with, and I get loads of emails and website comments from former employees very happy to see and talk about the places they worked.

footflaps

There’s a guy I follow on Flickr with some awesome photos:

We need YOU ! by Kriegaffe 9, on Flickr

Phone a friend by Kriegaffe 9, on Flickr

1st stage cooler (explore) by Kriegaffe 9, on Flickr

bencooper
    Free Member

<personal opinion>

They’d be even more awesome if he hadn’t HDR’d them to death 😉

</personal opinion>

MrSmith
    Free Member

No. We’re not talking about going into your front room and taking pictures of your stuff, we’re talking about mostly derelict sites that belong to big companies who don’t care about them. Morality is based on harm – what harm is caused by me breathing some air and taking some pictures?

Ah I didn’t realise urban-x was just big companies not houses or small businesses.
    Maybe the law should be changed and access allowed so as to be in line with modern morality and thinking, after all it’s now legal to enter another mans anus with consent.

CheesybeanZ

@Footflaps , that’s Sofaking from off of here’s site .

bencooper
    Free Member

Wow, did you just compare exploring a derelict explosives factory with gay sex?

Interesting analogy 😉

Houses are boring. Occasionally there are examples of interesting derelict houses that have been explored, but generally houses are dull.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well think about it. It was illegal, but people did it as they weren’t doing anyone any harm despite it being morally repugnant to some but eventually it became legal.

crazy-legs

Houses are boring. Occasionally there are examples of interesting derelict houses that have been explored, but generally houses are dull.

There are some great shots from a guy called “tonydetroit” on Instagram – he documents the decline of Detroit and a lot of what he posts are derelict houses but it’s very well done. The (stereo)typical “American Dream” houses – white picket fence, immaculate yard – all just left to rot as whole communities moved out.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not sure if they’re his, but I’ve seen some astounding pictures from Detroit – houses that look like they should be in the Addams Family. There are also some amazing abandoned mansions on the Continent – places that here would be snapped up by Grand Designs types just left untouched.

Well think about it. It was illegal, but people did it as they weren’t doing anyone any harm despite it being morally repugnant to some but eventually it became legal.

Except trespass isn’t usually illegal.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another great site: Urban X

Have a look at Elena Filatova’s site, read about her motorbike rides inside the exclusion zone at Chernobyl:

Wasn’t this a big fake- she just went on a guided tour, but was wearing leathers as she had driven to the start point??

Still a great read eitherway.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Except trespass isn’t usually illegal

But as you know it’s still a wrong (not a legal term, it’s probably a tort or something) that can be challenged and you have to remove yourself from the premises but cannot be prosecuted . But a lot of urban-x on MOD and railway land is illegal.

There is also the question of rights to the images taken. I know of an urbanX person who sells his images as prints and for publication, with no property release or permission from the owner he’s breaking the law (copyright designs and patents act 1998) and is impinging their moral rights, right to exclusivity etc.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not a spokesman for urbex, there’s no “urbex community”, everyone makes their own decisions.

However “wrong” is a difficult thing – that’s the problem with all moral decisions. I’m not a fan of street photography, I think it’s rude and intrusive to take pictures of people who haven’t given permission, but I understand that it’s a valid form of the photographic art.

There are many examples of street photographs being used without the subject’s permission.

Yes, some trespass is illegal – I broke laws by exploring Bishopton and was charged by the police. That’s why I said “usually” – most explorers don’t do that. Though police do often try other things – the catch-all offence of Breach of the Peace is often used.

If it was all safe and legal and sensible, it wouldn’t be fun 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

However “wrong” is a difficult thing – that’s the problem with all moral decisions. I’m not a fan of street photography, I think it’s rude and intrusive to take pictures of people who haven’t given permission, but I understand that it’s a valid form of the photographic art.

It’s also perfectly legal. It’s only if you impinge their moral rights that is isn’t, if for example you use an image of some cyclists to illustrate an article about “abuse victims treated with cycling therapy” then then rightly have cause to complain if they were misrepresented as abuse victims when they are not. Same as if the image was used to sell something without a model release or their knowledge ( this extends to property also) the grey area seems to be ‘art’ where intellectual property is appropriated by the artist for profit.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s also perfectly legal

And so is most urbex. If I stand in Sauchiehall Street and take lots of pictures of people, the police may ask me to move along. If I take pictures in a power station, the security guards will ask me to do the same.

the grey area seems to be ‘art’ where intellectual property is appropriated by the artist for profit

I’m struggling to think of any examples of this. I’ve taken pictures of plans and stuff while exploring, but ancient blueprints in a derelict factory aren’t exactly intellectual property.

qwerty
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Urban photography- derelict industrial/ military places’ is closed to new replies.