Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Upgrading to a clutch mech
  • edward2000
    Free Member

On my DH bike I run 9 speed sram gears. I think I might invest in a type 2/clutch mech, but I see Sram don’t have a 9 speed type 2 rear mech (somebody prove me wrong!).

So whats the most economical solution to upgrade to a clutch mech? I think running a 10 speed shimano mech with a 9 speed sram shifter might do the trick, with some washers etc. I really don’t see the need to upgrade the whole drive chain to 10 speed. I have never thought when riding downhill that I wish I had another cog on the back…

Thanks in advance.

Ed

climbingkev
    Free Member

Currently wondering whether going from 1×9 Saint to 1×10 Zee would be worth it since I have some vouchers, more for the clutch than the range. Saying that it’s an AM bike not DH, you’d imagine the new Saint/SRAM X? is 10sp for a reason no?…closer ratios if your’e racing, perhaps? Sorry, slight hijack, thinking out loud! Also interested!

FWIW Zee mech and Shifter, XT chain and cassette comes in at £115 from the obvious.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

7 speed is the new downhill, don’t you know that?

proutster
    Free Member

If you do a quick search on the internet you’ll find many examples of just what you describe (especially Pinkbike IIRC), I use a Zee clutch mech with a SRAM X7 9-speed mech + a 6mm alu spacer. Works perfectly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading to a clutch mech’ is closed to new replies.