Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Upgraded bikes for sale
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve noticed many bikes being sold lately with high end upgrades but the prices are a bit crazy. When these bikes are upgraded – brakes, forks, shock, whatever they are not sold with the original parts. I’m sure they will sell eventually but the money gained by the sale of fstock items doesn’t always seem to have been taken into account in the sale price. I won’t point fingers at any particular sale as I don’t want to be seen to spoil a seller’s chances. Am I analysing things too much?

kevin1911

What’s fstock?

iolo
    Free Member

stock

cookeaa

People are probably going to mention the posh parts they’ve thrown cash at when trying to sell a bike… If you’re not keen on the price, offer less or pass..

Am I analysing things too much?

Probably…

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Don’t pay it if you don’t think it’s worth it.

Parts may not exist, could have worn out, not everyone sells parts when upgrading.

Prices aren’t set by some kind of government approved pricing based on oficial guidance, price to as much as you can get away with. If it doesn’t sell drop the price, same for houses cars and anything else

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve always thought the same as the OP
    If you’re going to list the “upgrades” then you need to subtract the old parts off the price as well or it’s not balanced. A bike worth £1000 with £500 of upgrades isn’t a £1500 bike.
    (Unless it’s rack/guards/lights ie stuff that’s not been replaced!!!)

ricky1
    Free Member

I have an idea what you mean,and I agree with cookeea,whenever I see a listing on either eBay or anywhere else the thing what annoys me is people who put RRP £4990,yes ok it got bought for that price but who cares,it’s not new because you now own it so it’s worth half that and then some,as soon as I see RRP in capitals on any sale I just swerve even if I like the bike.

monksie
    Free Member

I have advertised my bike for sale this evening which has lots of upgraded parts. I’ve priced it on what I think it’s worth and what I’d probably pay if I was in the market for something like it. I haven’t really considered what its rrp would be with stock parts etc. and I wouldn’t give it any further thought to be honest as it’s quite a long way from being a stock bike now.
    Is my advertisement one of those that you’re referring to? Feel free to confirm if it is. It wouldn’t make any difference to me as it will either sell at that price or somebody (or more) will make an offer and I’d consider it and make a decision.

curto80
    Free Member

I agree. Someone was trying to sell a “lightly used” road bike the other day for the same price as a new one at the current and widely available sale price. Plus he was shipping it from Europe at buyer’s extra cost. That makes his asking price way over what’s reasonable when you take into account warranties, lbs support, risk of not really knowing the history of a used bike and the like.

johnnystorm

I’m assuming that the Op is referring to people who add the rrp of the bike, plus the upgrades while ignoring that the bike doesn’t come with the originals. And we all know that it’s rare anyone pays rrp anyway.

ctk
    Free Member

if someone lists the RRP I always assume they bought it much cheaper.

iolo
    Free Member

Monksie, yours is a bloody bargain and if it would fit me I would be very tempted to buy it.

jonba
    Free Member

Also depends on whether the upgrade adds value to you? I would do it as a way to list a spec – stock bike except brakes by hope etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

if someone lists the RRP I always assume they bought it much cheaper.

Haha, me too.

I did a thread some years ago about what classified ad phrases really mean, that would have been a good addition. Can’t find the thread now.

🙁

OP – You think this site is bad, you should see what people are asking for their obsolete (OK 26″) bikes on a FB group related to a well-known bike company that I’ve recently joined.

rickon
    Free Member

Generally trying to sell a high-end build in the classifieds is going to be hard. A £5k secondhand bike with a decent build isn’t going to sell when you can buy a group set down, and a slightly less bling shock for less money, it being brand new and it having a full warranty in your name.

There’s a couple of ads at the moment being reposted that make me wonder why. In those cases it’s far better to strip and sell individually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Upgraded bikes for sale’ is closed to new replies.