Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • UNUSUAL JOB TITLE NAMES
  • project
    Free Member

Just seen in the local paper, a chap who is called an Arson reduction Advocate,had dealings with another chap who was called an income maximistation officer, staff working to get trains running are called production managers,bin men are called recycling technicians,traffic wardens= traffic enforcement officer,then theres a Managing director, now called a CEO, and theres lots more out there.

Lets hear the real job titles for staff you work with and the name they have designated themselves,

paulosoxo
    Free Member

People who do a bit of Maths in an office getting called an ‘engineer’

BOOOOSHH!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Paulosoxo +1.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One of my jobs is Director of Colouring In. 🙂

Cougar

A friend of my OH has the job title of “End of Level Boss,” which amuses the crap out of me.

amt27
    Free Member

People who do a bit of Maths in an office getting called an ‘engineer’

i was an engineer and i didn’t even do as much as that

GJP
    Free Member

Not really unusual ones, but IT functions have a habit of proliferating roles and titles to make people sound more senior/important.

The “Whatever you chose followed by” Architect is the main one, and put a “Lead” or “Chief” and “SOA” in front of it also helps with the gravitas – generally all self titled – seems to me Enterprise Architects are breeding like rabbits.

But from an IT side the one that make me laugh is Software Engineer.

It is not so much that I have an issue with the title or role, it is just the way Project Managers decide to use the term Software Engineer or Developer to suit their own circumstances. When there is an issue with the clarity of requirements they suddenly all become plain developers again and their staff couldn’t possibly expect to resolve the ambiguity with the business or to facilitate an resolution across different stakeholders. When the going is good they are all Software Engineers again.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

CSR maintenance tech aka minion aspiring to be a lackey

brakes
    Free Member

‘Pick Packer’ – literally someone who picks stuff up and packs it

brakes
    Free Member

Revenue Protection Officers – i.e. ticket inspectors on the railways or security guards in shops.

jon1973
    Free Member

arse doctor

stavromuller
    Free Member

Once went to see a Financial Advisor and when asked my occupation replied “Duct Erector” meaning I install ventilation ductwork, when the written revue came back I was descibed as a “Duck Director” WTF?

emma82
    Free Member

Secretary – executive administrative officer. I prefer dogsbody meself

mtb2020
    Free Member

This is an excerpt from the pages of the Taxpayers Alliance – most of their criticism of non-jobs is not warranted. But this one somehow stood out – Regional Reputation Manager – see below …

NON-JOB OF THE WEEK
    ANDREW ALLISON • WEDNESDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2011 • 1 COMMENT AND 9 REACTIONS

What is a Regional Reputation Manager? I’m not sure, however I know Calderdale Council employs one, thanks to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request sent by one of our supporters.

The FOI also revealed the Marketing and Communications Team includes four graphic designers, a Campaigns Officer, a Marketing Officer, a Principal Communications Officer, and a PR and Public Information Officer. Some of these jobs must be part-time as the salary bill for 2010/11 was £199,900, and for the current financial year, the bill is set to rise to £216,800.

The FOI also revealed there are 11 personal assistants employed by the authority, and a further two secretaries who carry out the functions of a PA. When you add on costs for council newspapers and other publications, you can see that there is plenty of fat to trim.

I also knew someone who was charged with the task of Quality and Deliverance, whatever that is, for our local Primary Care Trust, and I’ve heard secretaries become documentation officers aswell.

mtb2020
    Free Member

I also liked this extract aswell from the Taxpayers Alliance site – the job description for a Foresight Horizon Scanning Analyst – can anyone work out what they actually do?

It has been reported in the Daily Mail that the Business Department is searching for a Foresight Horizon Scanning Analyst paying £44,186 -£55,662. One of our supporters who alerted us to it said they had been a civil servant in various Whitehall departments for over forty two years and this one even puzzled them. This is the job description on the civil service jobs website:

You will be a key member of a small team providing a futures research capability to Foresight and across other government departments. This work will include:
    o Developing technically robust, futures research methodologies for the full range of Foresight projects.

o Leading on developing and applying futures research methodologies for futures analysis in all Foresight projects, including projects in Foresight’s HorizonScanning Centre.

o Working with Government researchers, analysts and policymakers to achieve strong participation in, and commitment to, creating and using futures analysis.

o Providing an authoritative, well researched resource of technical expertise for futures analysis across government, designing models for the best use of futures analysis in policy practice. Drawing on research and experience in the field, propose refinements to existing project models to achieve maximum impact on policy.

o Helping departments design and deliver workshops and other events to promote long term thinking in areas of current policy and on the translation of futures analysis into policy.

o Raising capability in futures analysis across government by participating in and contributing to training events run for government by Foresight.

o Develop and maintain networks with other futurists, within and outside of Government.

Andrew Pierce in the Mail says this job could come straight from the TV political comedy The Thick Of It. Either that or Yes Minister! If someone who has worked in the civil service for over forty two years can’t work out what this is (bearing in mind they are used to civil service doublespeak) then there isn’t much hope for the rest of us.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enough with the copy and paste from lying neo con propaganda outfits!

meehaja
    Free Member

We have “clinical Team Leaders” used to be called Operational Supervisors and “Clinical team educators” or field based assessors as we used to call them.

Had to email our director of operations last week as I was fairly sure I wanted to apply for an advertised role, but I wasn’t sure as the job title made no sense, it was something like “Assistant lead facilitator of emergency operational preparedness and MAJAX management”. Now I know those words, but in that order they make no sense! (Good job i didn’t get the job really!)

maccruiskeen

Chough Monitor

mtb2020
    Free Member

Can I just saw that those were the worst two I could find out of about 15 posts I looked at. And I was just joining in with the theme of the thread. I’m not a Tory – which actually is what most of them say when infiltrating talkboards to nudge people ever rightwards – and could they get any further rightwards to be honest. I digress. My politics for what it’s worth are left of centre. And I can’t stand any of them really. So please just enjoy the jokes, regardless of their source.

project
    Free Member

neo con propaganda outfits!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I also liked this extract aswell from the Taxpayers Alliance site – the job description for a Foresight Horizon Scanning Analyst – can anyone work out what they actually do?

Well apparently the job advert was placed by this government, you know, this government which the Taxpayers Alliance supports because its tough austerity measures will deliver value for money.

So whatever the job entails, I’m sure it will represent excellent value for money.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Dad had a student (I think) whose occupation was listed as ‘unemployed chicken sexer’

mtb2020
    Free Member

@ ernie_lynch – thank you for that. You really don’t know me and get all political because the posts come from the Taxpayers Alliance. My intention was first and foremost NOT to be political. If I want that sort of thing I can go to the Guardian’s CIF pages and drink in the vitriol there. Thank you again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ mtb2020 – I didn’t mention anything about your politics…….what are you on about ?

And why are you having a pop at the Guardian ? What have they got to do with anything ?

matt_outandabout

I knew someone who was ‘Head of Health and Happiness’ for a company in Sheffield 😀

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I was looking through a list of occupations whilst renewing my car insurance and saw

CHICKEN SEXER.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was looking through a list of occupations whilst renewing my car insurance and saw

CHICKEN SEXER.

Quite a skilled job according to QI

superdan

I worked at a place where I was the Grand Poobah of Shiny Things. Had business cards and everything.
    The generic small business IT Guy/Department by the way.

Dan

Ambrose

A friend at work got a bit upset when he was regraded as ASsistant Head Of Lower School- ASHOLS.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have a friend whose title is Pie Site Factory Manager, great job title! Local council had Conflict Improvement Officers- I know what they mean but they did say officers that would ‘improve’ the conflict!

poly
    Free Member

Foresight Horizon Scanning Analyst

Their job is essentially to try and predict future trends in the business / technology sector so that DTI (or BERR or whatever they are called now) can work out where to invest time and money to keep the UK at the cutting edge, and therefore ensure future economic growth.

Depending who is in the job they could either be a really valuable resource who spots trends and emerging development, opportunities and problems or its Mystic Meg in a suit…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

or its Mystic Meg in a suit

According to Andrew Pierce in the Daily Mail : “Mystic Meg would be cheaper”.

Which I find hard to believe.

tonyg2003

Foresight, Impact and Knowledge Transfer Team Leader

Another WTF job title! He’s a friend and do I know what he does- no way!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I once went for an interview somewhere where the head of the design department was officially called ‘Design Overlord’.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

What about saggarmaker’s bottom knocker?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I used to be a communications distribution facilitator, aka paper boy

mattjng
    Free Member

I received a letter recently from the ‘Head of Rectification’ at EDF recently.

Turns out he is in charge of telling me that I need a new electricity meter, which was a relief.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve recently recruited a Principal Horn.

I work for a well known operatic organisation…

_tom_
    Free Member

Data or Render Wrangler 😀

Mrs Toast, a place with a Design Overlord sounds like somewhere I’d be happy to work!

slowrider
    Free Member

i don’t really have a job title in my new job. i get called ‘super nanny without the tv crew’, or variations; ‘supernan’, ‘jo frost’ etc..

or just skiver.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘UNUSUAL JOB TITLE NAMES’ is closed to new replies.