• This topic has 140 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Underrated cover versions
  • IHN

Having just popped up on my random music shuffle on my phone, I’ll nominate;

Hazy Shade of Winter – The Bangles

Cracking banging snare on it.

Others?

**If you’re going to link to YouTube, say what the track is too, restrictive workplace streaming service blocking firewalls and all that**

trailwagger
    Free Member

This version of Shakin Stevens` Merry Christmas Everyone is pretty spot on.

johndoh
    Free Member

I know I will be flamed (I was when I first mentioned it on here) but I love Sound of Silence by Disturbed.

IHN

I know I will be flamed

You’re damn right you will. And you’d deserve it 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I only came in here to say “not that godawful mangling of Simon & Garfunkel”

Beaten to it, so Chris Cornell’s version of Nothing Compares 2 U. Apparently Prince commented positively on it [citation needed]

bikebouy
    Free Member

This doesn’t get played very much at all.. And I think it needs more exposure..

David Grey – Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hurt Jonny Cash #inbeforeflashy

grantyboy
    Free Member

London Grammar do heaps of really good covers, their version of Purple Rain is really good. I’m also liking Chromatics cover of I’m on Fire, a Bruce Springsteen song.
    All on You Tube but I can’t link

nickc

I won’t link to it, if you’re that desperate, you can always seek it out. But I’ve long thought that Ta’tu version of How Soon Is Now is seriously overdue for some proper re-evaluation as a classic of it’s genre. 1. It’s alarmingly funny, it’s difficult to make a song about about teenage hopelessness sound amusing, but they manage to pull it off, and not least because they sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks 2. it drew out of Morrisey one of his best quotes,

Interviewer: Did you hear t.A.T.u’s version of ‘How Soon Is Now’?
    Morrissey: Yes, it was magnificent. Absolutely. Again, I don’t know much about them.
    Interviewer: They’re the teenage Russian lesbians.
    Morrissey: Well, aren’t we all?

Take a bow Steven.

3. It’s one of “those” songs, and for people of certain age, it’s untouchable, and thus deserves solely for that reason alone to be pulled down a notch or two.

IHN

Chris Cornell – just listened to it, it’s alright

David Gray – good shout, forgot about that

Johnny Cash – we’re looking for underrated ones, not exactlyrightlyhighlyrated ones

Off to look for Chromatics…

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

London Grammar do heaps of really good covers

I was just about to say the same thing, this is my favourite.

IHN

So…

Chromatics – again, it’s alright
    TaTu – I have to say, that’s brilliant. Mopey angst turned into teenage anger.

Now for London Grammar…

Kryton57

Beverley Knight – Angels. There’s a better (Radio 1?) audio only version, but just wait for the power….

edlong
    Free Member

A cover version of a cover version of a track built around samples of another song (Marlena Shaw > Mark Farina > Blueboy > Tame Impala), anyway, Remember Me, the Tame Impala version, which also has more than a sprinkling of Deep Purple’s version of Hush going on in there imho:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Walk on By – Stranglers

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Hot 8 brass band. Sexual healing.

nickc

More seriously, I’ve always thought this version of Love will tear us apart by Suzanna and the Magical Orchestra is very very good.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m going to claim that this one qualifies, not necessarily because it’s underrated per se, but I think it’s underrated as a cover version since most people don’t seem to know that it is one.

As with all great cover versions, imho, it makes a different garment from the same cloth.

Soft Cell’s version of Gloria Jones’ Tainted Love:

IHN

London Grammar – another ‘alright’

I think my ‘alright’ ones are essentially cos it’s someone singing the song (well), but not really putting their stamp on it.

Moe
    bikebouy
    Free Member

This is pretty cool, never really liked it when it came out. Probably because I started the think Van Halen were going a bit soft..

Where have all the good times gone (off Diver Down)

If you can, you need to play loud…

CraigW
    Free Member

Polyphonic Spree, Lithium.

verses

Most of the tracks on Rage Against the Machine’s “Renegades” album are excellent, they very much do their own take, rather than trying to emulate the originals.

Stand-outs for me are their version of Devo’s “Beautiful World” and Dylan’s “Maggie’s Farm”…

nbt

I’ve posted this before, when we’ve discussed this previously

Paul Anka did an entire album of famous songs. Here’s his version of Smells Like Teen Spirit

The entire album is on Spotify

IHN

Beverley Knight is hugely underrated generally. She’s a truly world class soul singer, and hardly gets the recognition she deserves.

IHN

The entire album is on Spotify

And in my CD collection 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

How about a bit of Bobby Womack? Hugely underrated Soul impresario and amazeballs guitar player.. (who I’m going through his back catalogue learning all his guitar licks)

Covering Fire and Rain by James Taylor..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Johnny Cash – we’re looking for underrated ones, not exactlyrightlyhighlyrated ones

😎

Continuing the Van Halen theme…

This whole EP

And, the VH cover of Pretty Woman. Full on 80s loonbaggery video here…

edlong
    Free Member

As song that probably suffers from there being too many versions out there, but I do like Lou Rawl’s version of For What it’s Worth. Excellently produced by David Axelrod.

scud
    Free Member

I love the Little Roy reggae covers of the Nirvana album:

scud
    Free Member

Or the Easy All-Stars, Radiodread – Radiohead album covers

TheFlyingOx

This is just about the best cover I can think of:
    George Michael – They Won’t Go When I Go

This ain’t bad either:
    The Cinematic Orchestra – Lilac Wine

Also:
    Taj Mahal – Johnny Too Bad

EDIT: I suppose GM isn’t really under-rated, so ignore that one

peekay

The Wolf Alice version of Song to the Siren is beautiful. Given the popularity of both the band and previous covers of the song, the playcount is quite low of YT and Spotify

Neb

I like the simplicity of this

Eye of the tiger by the rural Alberta advantage

scud
    Free Member

Or a band a bit similar to the Hot 8 Brass Band above and who are brilliant live, Hackney Colliery Band covering Prodigy:

teethgrinder

A few of my favourites:

Where is My Mind – Storm Large. Better than the Pixies.
    Sweet Jane – Cowboy Junkies. Better than Lou Reed.
    Are You Experienced – Belly. Better than Hendrix.
    A Little Respect – Wheatus. Better than Erasure.
    Just Like Heaven – The Watson Twins. Better than The Cure.

SaxonRider

Great thread. I’m hearing stuff I’ve never come across before. Cheers all.

I know I’m in a minority when it comes to this one, but I kind of like Aimee Mann’s cover of “One” used on the “Magnolia” soundtrack.

globalti
    Free Member

West Jamaica!

IHN

I’m now sat here listening to a lot of Beverley Knight. Brilliant.

Take this for example, and not only for Mr ByGod Hecan’thalfplaythetrumpet:

tomhoward

Hackney colliery band covering Africa, Under the Bridge and No Diggity, are ace too.

+1 for Paul Anka

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Underrated cover versions’ is closed to new replies.