Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Ultra tedious WWSTWD: Sidelights only in a streetlit 20mph?
  • 13thfloormonk

I thought I was being courteous by switching the headlights off and going sidelights only once I get into the sidestreets. Pretty sure highway code backs me up on it too, so why do I get so many people flashing their lights at me? Do they want to be dazzled every time I hit a pothole or speedbump?

martinhutch

My traffic cop stepdad always told me it was fine.

timbog160

I’ve never heard of this before – I can see the logic but I’m not surprised you get flashed.

philjunior
    Free Member

it’s perfectly legal to use sidelights at night in a 20 or 30 mph limit where streetlights are on. I prefer to be more obvious, but there are arguments (particularly with respect to cycle safety) against making cars that obvious (i.e. people end up looking for a pair of bright lights and won’t see a perfectly legal bike light as they don’t look carefully enough).

People flash at you because they are self righteous ill informed idiots, the same as any time they flash you.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Must be that they’re probably recalling rule 115:

“You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen”

I’d flash to be honest, as sidelights at night would give the impression the oncoming driver was a bit unaware of the environment (elderly/confused), and therefore unaware of traffic around them. I’d want them to know other cars are nearby.

The worse one, however,  is sidelights with fogs when it’s clearly not foggy. Just plain stoopid! 🙄

tjagain

dipped headlights always for me.

HOwever according to the code its OK

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
    • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

I am suprised at this – I thought it was dipped headlights when moving and sidelights were only for when stopped.
    <h3 id=”rule115″>Rule 115</h3>
    You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

So the law is sidelights at a minimum – the advice is dipped headlights

P20

DRLs probably add to the confusion. They may assume you only have front DRLs on and no rear lights.

I’d use dipped beam regardless tbh

wwaswas

If you hit a baby robin at night and it turned out you were on sidelights it might mean there were more questions to answer as to whether you could see effectively.

There’s a lot of shadows between widely spaced street lights round here.

nixie

Surely the single track standard issue Audi has automatic lights. Put on auto, leave on auto. Problem solved :).

orangespyderman

But surely when you’re drifting round the corner with full oppo then you need all the lights you can get so the other road users know to make way.  Especially if you’ve foolishly put the new tyres on the back, because it’ll take a lot of concentration to get the back out safely.  Anything less than dipped headlights and at least 4 Cibié driving lamps if it’s even a bit cloudy is asking for trouble.

Etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

It would be better if everybody did it but that will never happen so the reality is its probably best to go with flow.

legend
    Free Member

DRLs probably add to the confusion. They may assume you only have front DRLs on and no rear lights.

This is would be my assumption these days – and tend to be what’s happening every time I see it

ross980
    Free Member

It’s legal but people will think you’ve forgotten to put your lights on/being a numpty. It’s a stupid rule IMHO, if it’s dark just put your (proper) lights on. The other problem with sidelights is that they generally illuminate the dash, so some people then venture on to faster roads whilst still only having crappy side lights on and not realising…

Automatic headlights – it’s the way forward 😉

matt_outandabout

Why do car manufacturers make DRLs that only come on at front and illuminate dash?

So many cars around here at the moment with no rear lights on, manly Vauxhauls, at dusk/wet/dark.

timbog160

OP was too harsh on themselves – not tedious at all but interesting in a ‘christmas conversation with father in law’ sort of way…

😉

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’m always amazed how cars can drive at high speeds on motorways when rains beating down with an inch of surface water and spray .

the dim dip aren’t necessarily to see but to be seen, modern grey cars just blend into the road at times

vickypea
    Free Member

I just stick my (dipped) headlights on, I’m sure I couldn’t be bothered switching between headlamps and sidelights every few minutes depending on what type of street I was driving down.

I’m sure at least some people are flashing because they don’t think you’re sufficiently visible, not because they’re self-righteous idiots.

13thfloormonk

Fair enough, I guess the people doing the flashing maybe think they’re doing me a favour e.g. highlighting I’ve not got my headlights on. Maybe it’s just me who gets annoyed with needlessly bright lights on slow, well lit residential streets.

f you hit a baby robin at night and it turned out you were on sidelights it might mean there were more questions to answer as to whether you could see effectively.

Very fair point.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

manly Vauxhauls

Muscle cars?

13thfloormonk

not tedious at all but interesting in a ‘christmas conversation with father in law’ sort of way…

Haha, car chat is about all I can safely chat about with the F.i.L…

mikertroid
    Free Member

The new type of headlamps fitted to the likes of Range Rovers/Spsazqai etc are constantly appearing to flash…. hate them!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The worse one, however,  is sidelights with fogs when it’s clearly not foggy. Just plain stoopid!

The driver is probably also one of those chumps who is clutching a douche-flute whilst driving.

Flaperon

I thought I was being courteous by switching the headlights off and going sidelights only once I get into the sidestreets.

No, you’re being unhelpful. Sidelights are for parking and are a pointless invention.

– You run the risk of forgetting to switch the lights back on if you drive into a darker area.

– What if the street lights go off?

– You also look muich dimmer than other cars at the same distance (in every sense of the word).

– Nearly all running and cycling gear has reflective strips on it which only works if a driver has their headlights on.

– If one lamp goes the only thing to make your car visible (and I bet it’s grey or black) is a single 5W bulb.

– Cats eyes won’t reflect.

– The police may think you’ve been drinking.

– People will pull out in front of you.

– In conditions will multiple light sources you’ll actually blend in.

Provided your headlights are properly adjusted there is absolutely no benefit to driving on sidelights only. If you’re being dazzled by other lights in a brightly lit area, you may want to consider an eye checkup as it can be a sign of developing cataracts.

butcher

This is fun. It’s like a cycling helmet debate.

Personally, I applaud the OP, because the amount of selfishness around driving is staggering, and very few people think of the impact their driving  is having on others. And I’m not just talking about driving standards, but even things like your presence (which it seems this was an attempt to mitigate)

Unfortunately we’ve created a culture where we’d rather drive round with monstrously bright lights to be seen, than actually take the time to look properly in the first place. Whilst I’ve never done it myself, in my opinion, a world where we drive around our town centres at 20mph with only sidelights at night, sounds a much more pleasant place to live.

oldtennisshoes

Surely the single track standard issue Audi has automatic lights. Put on auto, leave on auto. Problem solved :).

This ^ & Flaperon +1

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m with flaperon. First thoughts on seeing sidelights coming down the road in the dark are that some old dear in an old volvo hasnt remembered to turn on their dipped lights and their driving is likely to be similarly away with the fairies so to be on my guard.

sharkbait
    Free Member

very few people think of the impact their driving  is having on others

[My opinion] Perfect choice of words regarding driving at night with just sidelights[/My opinion]

Seems strange considering that bikes and motorbikes are encouraged to have brighter lights so they can be seen – each to their own though and if it’s not illegal, then why not?

(but I’d flash you too)

jamesoz

Provided your headlights are properly adjusted there is absolutely no benefit to driving on sidelights only

Saves fuel to run sidelights only on my car.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure most people would automatically assume somebody driving around at night with just sidelights on was either pissed or just an idiot, I know I would.

Do they want to be dazzled every time I hit a pothole or speedbump?

Is that even a real problem? I’ve never been bothered by a split second of extra light as an oncoming car went over a bump, do you really drive around with sidelights on for that reason?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Saves fuel to run sidelights only on my car.

Diesel headlights?

Whatever will they think of next?

jamesoz

Nope,  pop up headlights or illuminated air brakes.

butcher

[My opinion] Perfect choice of words regarding driving at night with just sidelights[/My opinion]

I don’t understand what negative impact it has, someone driving with just sidelights in a 20mph street lit area? Other than to people too impatient to look properly before they pull out in front of them (the same people who are likely to pull out in front of a cyclist who is usually illuminated about the same as a sidelight).

You may think it’s a confused old dear or a drunk driver. But only because it’s uncommon to see. Flaperon says a lot there, but do we even have cateyes on a 20mph residential street??  Most of it seems to come down to, “you’re not doing what everyone else is doing – get in line”. Hence why it’s like a cycling debate – the answer comes down to, “Well, you should do it just because you should … And I have an aunty Jennifer who once fell off her bike … No, I don’t care if the law says it’s OK… You’re an idiot, OK”

Meanwhile, the other week, I’m riding up the bike track at dusk, light pointing downwards to the floor and on the lowest setting. Guy walking past says ‘Think your light’s a bit high, mate’. We hear complaints about dazzling bike lights all the time. And I know they’re not regulated in any way in this country, but I’ve never personally experienced it. Yet I do get dazzled by car headlights on a daily basis (especially with these new hid things, every time they go over a bump). It’s not tolerated from bicycles, but it is from cars.

I do agree with the bit about forgetting to turn on your headlights – I once accidentally drove halfway up the M1 with just my sidelights on. I just think there are a lot of positives from the OPs behaviour – the thoughtfulness to do it in the first place being the main one.

nickc

I would assume you’ve forgotten to put your lights on properly ( or don’t know how to) I’d leave plenty of room , but I wouldn’t flash, as I don’t think it achieves anything

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

especially with these new hid things

Those are sooo last year – it’s all LED now 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

so to be on my guard

I’d leave plenty of room

Sounds like a few positives from doing it!

johndoh
    Free Member

Those are sooo last year – it’s all LED now

I assume you mean laser? 😉

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I assume you mean laser? 😉

Laser lights!  Oooh, makes a note for next car…

Sandwich

when you’re drifting round the corner with full oppo

Only if you’re ham-fisted, it’s always a ‘dab’ of oppo! 😉

crazy-legs

The only time I ever use sidelights is when I’m parking outside my house to avoid being dazzled by the headlight reflection off the car in front (and to avoid the light overspill going into my neighbour’s front window).

The rest of the time, headlights. All the time.

If I see someone driving on sidelights only I assume they’re a total moron. Which to be fair covers about 95% of drivers 95% of the time anyway* so it’s a reasonably safe assumption.

*obviously I’m a perfect driver.  😉

orangespyderman

Only if you’re ham-fisted, it’s always a ‘dab’ of oppo!

Only if you’re being half-arsed about it 😉  Go big or GTFH 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ultra tedious WWSTWD: Sidelights only in a streetlit 20mph?’ is closed to new replies.