Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
    Kryton57

It just seems that the STW forum is an orgy of middle class feeble conformity. Not really a place of robust, honest, good faith, open, productive debate. Again, a back patting hierarchy more than anything else. I am not sure that is a healthy space to truly explore ideas.

You know you don’t have to be here, right?

theotherjonv
    dakuan
    Free Member

It just seems that the STW forum is an orgy of middle class feeble conformity

You’re just jel you dont have any T5 keys to put in the bowl

deadlydarcy
    Free Member
    susepic

Stepped away for a couple of hours cos work…..and came across this which is some interesting context/background

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2024/06/10/rishi-s-running-poster-isn-t-the-real-story-behind-d-day-attack-ad

molgrips
    Free Member

Larger government just means more control over the people

Rich people need controlling because otherwise they **** everyone else over. That’s what used to happen in Victorian times then people gradually realised that rich **** need reining in and things improved for everyone. That’s why there are builders and mechanics on here with decent bikes and the spare time to ride them. Tory voters seem to want to roll all that back under the assumption that they can become one of the chosen wealthy ones.

ransos
    Free Member

Why would I need to be emotional about it?

You seem het up. There’s a risk that your face will go even redder.

imnotverygood

Nick Robinson is absolutely skewering Jim Swinney on TV at the moment.
    Who the hell is Jim Swinney?

That’s a fair cop. In reality I have a mate who looks just like him, who happens to be called Jim. Although to be fair  he’s not the First Minister so I really shouldn’t make that mistake.

dazh

I am not sure that is a healthy space to truly explore ideas.

Have you tried your local pub instead? I’m sure there’s a willing audience just waiting to hear your views on what’s wrong with the world. In fact have a chat with binners, he knows a great one.

ElShalimo

I think doggermatic is one of those insufferable COVID trolls with a new laptop

somafunk

It just seems that the STW forum is an orgy of middle class feeble conformity.

Not all of us, some of us are social housing plebs who’ve never earned more than minimum wage plumped up with tax credits/on lifelong disability benefits but that doesn’t negate a good piss taking every now and again.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hahahaha genuinely in stitches at @theotherjonv (and I’m a post growther, sympathetic to MMT) 😂😂😂

BillMC

Dogmatix you are a joy.

matt_outandabout

I prefer riding bikes to explore spaces.

fenderextender
    Free Member

No one forces you to post or even read. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t like musicals. I choose not to go to them. I don’t slag musicals off for the sake of it, though.

colournoise

“dogmatixFull Member
    Single Track World an arrogant, back slapping, left wing, echo chamber. Equally adept at smearing the upper-classes and the underclass but not their own class. ‘Plenty of public school educated right-wingers’ ‘Farage only appeals to a poorly educated subset.’”

Username checks out.

kormoran
    Free Member

dogmatix

Why would I need to be emotional about it? It doesn’t surprise me that you view this as an emotional battle more about inflicting cost/revenge than about doing anything of real value. It just seems that the STW forum is an orgy of middle class feeble conformity. Not really a place of robust, honest, good faith, open, productive debate. Again, a back patting hierarchy more than anything else. I am not sure that is a healthy space to truly explore ideas.

You’ve got some gaul coming on here

ElShalimo

Are they ancient French?

sc-xc

Are they ancient French?

Kryton called it earlier…

** Asterix. Tea anyone?

scotroutes

That’s a fair cop. In reality I have a mate who looks just like him, who happens to be called Jim. Although to be fair  he’s not the First Minister so I really shouldn’t make that mistake.

Is your mate available on July 5th?

jam-bo

You’ve got some gaul coming on here

has to getafix somewhere.

susepic

Why is everyone feeding the dog? He’s so clearly a wind up merchant

slowoldman

We already live in a system where democracy has been hollowed out by Blair and sovereignty handed to unelected left leaning QUANGOS.

Well how have the Tories allowed that to continue for the past 14 years? Shouldn’t they have done something about it?

MoreCashThanDash

Not really a place of robust, honest, good faith, open, productive debate

You start one and we’ll join in.

Poopscoop

I missed the debate. How did Starmer/Sunak compare, guys?

somafunk

Starmer won but didn’t have an answer for why he stood with Corbyn all those years, Sunak’s face looked liked a big boy stole his haribo in the playground beforehand.

grahamt1980

has to getafix somewhere

It is taking on a bit of a Cacofonix tone round here at the moment

frankconway

Been out all day doing…stuff.

What have I missed?

Some references to a post from Screwfix?

Debate?

sunak’s pre-recorded ITV interview?

Any frothing?

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Tell me you live in southern & central England without telling me you live in southern and central England.

72% of the English population lives in southern and central England, so…yeah…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England

Besides, it is actually verifiably, objectively true that the secondary education system in England is better than those in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sunak has actually managed to say something true for once!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67580173

Gribs

So the question remains if the Tories are going to lose the general election because they aren’t right-wing enough why is it Labour which is expected to win a landslide not Reform UK?

I’m saying they’re losing a lot of votes because despite their rhetoric they haven’t actually achieved anything that’s usually be considered desirable by the right. Even with their culture wars bullshit they’ve not actually changed anything even though they’ve been in power. Some of those who desire that will move to reform, but many more will view them as a completely wasted vote run by a charlatan who is only good at destroying. They want traditional right of centre Tory policies delivered competently. I think a swing to positions to the right of what they’ve been saying will destroy them but that doesn’t change the fact that due to their incompetence they aren’t viewed as being true conservatives. Have a look a right wing UK twitter, it’s interesting to see how some of them think.

Our elections are now largely influenced by voter turn out rather than swing voters. The Tories barely got any more votes in 2019 than 2016 but had a resounding majority because the labour vote collapsed. I suspect the opposite will happen for Labour this time. Take the recent Blackpool byelection. Labour went from 12557 to 10825 but the Tories collapsed from 16247 to 3218.Very few traditional Tories will vote Labour this time but Starmer is so bland he doesn’t scare them in to actually voting for a useless Tory party unlike Corbyn did.

Poopscoop

The picture of Craig Williams  ITV used on the news, that’s proper peak Tory right there isn’t it?

Screenshot_20240612-221340

kimbers

Well my bike ride was lovelyPXL_20240612_201438192~2PXL_20240612_190756873

How was the debate? yougov says 64 – 36 to Starmer, which means Sunak must have been dire

grahamt1980

That picture could have come from an ai request for a typical tory

somafunk

That pic just screams “I’m considerably richer than you” in a “fast show style

Poopscoop

@kimbers Full Member
    Well my bike ride was lovely

Where was that, looks a bit nice? 👍

ransos
    Free Member

The picture of Craig Williams  ITV used on the news, that’s proper peak Tory right there isn’t it?

ElShalimo

Mr Ed wants his teeth back

ernielynch

From that photo I reckon that Craig Williams managed to get the smug look better than Harry Enfield.

ernielynch

Some else remembers Mr Ed??

politecameraaction
    Free Member

That picture could have come from an ai request for a typical tory

That picture could have come from the unreleased Austin Powers sequel where Mike Myers plays a British Prime Minister.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.