Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • pondo

He’s not doing the debate tonight, Mordaunt is. Bet she’s thrilled about that! 😂

Ah – one is minded of the avalanche of “Sir Fear Starmer” nonsense shovelled out this week.

ratherbeintobago

I could certainly see a way that Cameron is interim leader if Sunak loses his seat or quits, pending a leadership election?

WRT school fees, they’re set at what the private schools think the market will pay (hence why they’ve gone up drastically in real terms in a generation – not sure my parents or in-laws would have been able to afford it now). My suspicion is that there will be a decrease in pre-tax fees from a lot of schools so the overall increase is less than 20%, achieved either by the school just swallowing it, by increasing class sizes or by making things that are currently included extras.

matt_outandabout

Mordaunt

We can only hope she finds some backbone and actually criticises the behaviour of her overlord in the debate tonight…

susepic

This could be a lot of fun!

Screenshot 2024-06-07 170748

fenderextender
    Free Member

Quick one on the private schools thing.

They don’t have to pass on all of the 20%. They could choose to cut back on, say, sport facilities, or funded school trips. All the things that state schools effectively cut back on too to preserve their standard of teaching. And private schools also have a proportionately high number of very rich former pupils who can be tapped up for help.

If Labour win and the policy is implemented I would doubt if private schools will lose more than 10% of their pupils and probably less than 5% will go under.

susepic

Screenshot 2024-06-07 172726

fenderextender
    Free Member

We can only hope she finds some backbone and actually criticises the behaviour of her overlord in the debate tonight…

Whatever her supposed moderacy she is still a Tory minister who has prospered under the Brexit incarnation of the Tories. She will only find backbone if it is to her advantage to do so.

matt_outandabout

Did I just hear the prime minister apologised for leaving Europe?

😉

ElShalimo

Mordaunt, like many of the current ghastly cohort, is only there as they’ve purged the old fashioned Tories and we’re left with the current absolute shower of C you next Tuesdays.

susepic

On twitter someone has just pointed out that Mordaunt is a serving RN reservist – so may have conflicting loyalists…

MoreCashThanDash

Genuine thanks to solarider for putting his point of view across so well – as a lapsed Tory who saw the light in the mid 90s, I understand where he’s coming from, and the disillusionment with what the current party has become.

Klunk
    Free Member

turns out remainers are more “patriotic” than leavers, fancy that.

susepic

Screenshot 2024-06-07 173733

kimbers

Unfortunately the tories have managed to get candidates in all but 1 seat

I think reform are about 50 short, not sure how many have incumbent tories

slowoldman

Is there a published list available yet kimbers?

matt_outandabout

Unfortunately the tories have managed to get candidates in all but 1 seat

I’m betting at least 4 drop out when some journo unearths the compromising pictures or ineligibility to stand….

grahamt1980

4? I reckon that a bit of digging will end up with a list of at least 20 (and yes I think I am being generous with 20). They are hardly going to be picking the top tier

DrJ

Lammy on R4 just now making it absolutely clear that Labour have nothing to say about Palestine. Statehood at some undetermined time in the future, subject to Israeli veto. Another Green vote here.

ElShalimo

that’ll teach ’em

poly
    Free Member

It’s convention that the PM is an MP, but not essential. So I can’t see why a Lord couldn’t be leader of the opposition.

It may theoretically be possible for a non MP to be PM, but its a tory party requirement that the Leader of the Conservative Party is a serving MP.  I’m not sure what happens if they lose their seat.   However I think its irrelevant, Rishi won’t quit now – he knows he’s gone on July 5th.  He’s probably already got a flight to California booked.  When leaders quit whilst in official office, they almost invariably remain in post till the next leader is elected.

Penny will have an interesting dilemma tonight – is she trying to get conservatives across the country to think of her as a future leader or is she trying to get reelected – in 2005 she lost that seat by a small % to the labour candidate.

somafunk

Lammy on R4 just now making it absolutely clear that Labour have nothing to say about Palestine. Statehood at some undetermined time in the future, subject to Israeli veto. Another Green vote here.

Of course they don’t, they admitted the utterly **** odious self confessed Zionist shitlord Luke Akehurst, he’s little more than a globule of fat n’ gristle

fenderextender
    Free Member

Another Green vote here.

🤷‍♂️

Poopscoop

kimbers

I think reform are about 50 short, not sure how many have incumbent tories

They  will havea lot of utter wrong’uns in that lot.

I expect all the parties might have a bit of an issue there but reform, by it’s nature, will tend to attract people with some easy to find skeletons in their past.

fenderextender
    Free Member

They  will havea lot of utter wrong’uns in that lot.

I expect all the parties might have a bit of an issue there but reform, by it’s nature, will tend to attract people with some easy to find skeletons in their past.

If the nature of that wrongness is far-right, xenophobic or racist posts on social media it will probably enhance their prospects with the target audience, though.

🙄

ratherbeintobago

@susepic Was rather than is I think?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Looks like the quite a few of the Green Party’s PPCs’ social media posting history has seen a bit of scrutiny these last few days. I’m guessing this is one of those “don’t pay attention to the media” things though?

binners

Another Green vote here.

I bet Netanyahu is shitting himself

Poopscoop

If the nature of that wrongness is far-right, xenophobic or racist posts on social media it will probably enhance their prospects with the target audience, though.

True.

Ie it’s already happening as far as outing a few of them.

They have just exposed 2 Reform wrong’uns on CH4 news tonight. What the guy particularly said is… Well.

binners

bikesandboots

Regarding the VAT on private school fees, I could see an argument that the government shouldn’t make decisions parents made about how they educate their children suddenly no longer viable to continue. It could for example be waived to allow already enrolled children to complete their current level of education at their existing school.

But relying on a tax break to afford this luxury, for that complete phase of a child’s education was always a risk. It was pretty obvious that it would eventually come under scrutiny.

Larger and less foreseeable rugs have been pulled out from underneath people and businesses in recent years, much to their detriment and especially so people less able to absorb the impact. They and their kids had to suck it up, and now these parents and their (partially?) privately educated children will have to as well. There’s no special protection for them against perceived unfair changes that restore fairness in the education system.

Poopscoop

LLolz @binners 😂

DrJ

Did that make sense in your head before you typed it out?

somafunk

Drop the **** in Gaza and I imagine he wouldn’t have time to worry about shitting himself

shermer75
    Free Member

The amusing thing about the D-Day furore, is that there’s a good chance this will be referred to as the moment Rishi lost the election, as if he had much of a chance to begin with

somafunk

Yep, he lost it on the beach.

dyna-ti

She will only find backbone if it is to her advantage to do so.

She’ll probably have to borrow. Tory Mp’s don’t come supplied with one.

Trouble is these days, there seems to be few going around.

igm

Yep, he lost it on the beach.

He’s got 99 problems and a beach is one.

rone

Oh Christ we’re back to wiping out each other out.

Nothing ever changes.

Seriously, as was – Boris Johnson and a nuclear bomb, the two never went together. Clumsy goat.

rone

A kid was dropped off at my local independent school in a helicopter today.

Every other car is a Tesla / brand new Land-rover.

They have too much money and too many resources to the detriment of the rest of us. Tax them to control their wealth for sure.

(But not too much as my partner works there !) 😏

monkeyboyjc

Labour and Conservatives both don’t understand or don’t want the public to understand that if you press the button in retaliation, we are all already dead. It’s irrelevant in a global nuclear war (which all nuclear wars would be) if you have a deterrent or not as the two main players would wipe out the northern hemisphere.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.