Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • MSP

I think the figures on the BBC yesterday was that ending the cap would lift 1.5 million children out of poverty (I was a bit shocked that it has affected so many).

nickc

I think you will also find that its not actually been made to the ICC.  No submission on it as its without merit.

The UK has. 

ernielynch

Starmer take note!

I am fairly sure that with an unprecedented 5 independent MPs, all of them pro Palestine, an unprecedented 4 Green MPs, all of them strongly pro Palestine, and the largest number of LibDem MPs ever, a party which was widely backed by the Muslim Vote, Starmer has definitely taken note.

Especially when the Labour Party only managed a 34% of the vote in the second lowest turnout since WW2

A few punters on here might be deluding themselves that everything is just hunky dory with the Labour vote but I have no doubt that Starmer and his advisors are fully aware that there are some serious issues with it that need tackling. Hence all the pro Palestine noises recently in stark contrast with Starmer’s previous pro Israeli noises.

the-muffin-man

Post election – can I suggest a new feature for the new site…

tjagain

Hot air.  Having ruled out the 4 freedoms and rejoining the EU or even the CU and SM there is nothing left of any significance.

The EU have moved on and do not care one jot about the UK any more. They have other much more pressing issues to deal with.  Senior EU politicians have made this clear.  He might get a few kind words and some very minor fiddling around the edges but anything else is wishful thinking and attempted gaslighting.  Reject the 4 freedoms?  Enjoy life on the outside.

argee

I think the figures on the BBC yesterday was that ending the cap would lift 1.5 million children out of poverty (I was a bit shocked that it has affected so many).

I don’t think that, what i think is that this statement is just not true, it is a statement made against a minimum household income with set numbers of children, it has no correlation to lifting 1.5 children out of poverty, it just means payments will be made to households for those 1.5 million children, how it is spent is a whole other thing.

tjagain

EU officials have made it clear that the review process will be about a review of the implementation of the agreement rather than a review of the treaty itself, in line with what the treaty text says. Maroš Šefčovič, the vice-president of the European Commission who oversees UK relations, has said that the TCA had not been used to its “full potential” but warned that the review “does not constitute a commitment to reopen the TCA or to renegotiate the supplementary agreements”. Another EU official was adamant that the process is “a review, not a revision, not a renewal or even amendment of any sort”. The EU has a clear position on what to expect from the review: not very much.

https://www.cer.eu/insights/what-approach-should-labour-take-2026-tca-review

tjagain

Ah – I had missed that Nickc.  I thought they had only said they were going to – not that they had.  its still an arguement without any merit at all.  lammy should withdraw it immediatly

stumpyjon

Labour’s economic plan is not a plan it’s a the dregs of right-wing fail from the off

Rone speak, Rone myth?

Oh in also pressing resignation news Wales first minister has also resigned.

MSP

how it is spent is a whole other thing.

Poor people can’t be trusted to spend the money the right way, so lets leave them in poverty?

FFS the centrist have gone full tory headbangers within a week.

Thanks again for your carefully considered and elequently worded opinion. I’ll make a note.

Maybe you could just post a shity picture from the 70’s, I am sure that will cheer up all those hungry children.

argee

Poor people can’t be Trusted to spend the money the right way, so lets leave them in poverty?

Nope, i was talking from personal experience, growing up with a father who gambled and drank the income away, until my mum left him when i was 3, i also know several families like that where i am, more money will not ‘lift’ the children out of poverty, so the numbers stated are not really more than a shock value, with little correlation to removing children from ‘poverty’.

tjagain

I think in all fairness Argee has never claimed to be on the left

argee

I think in all fairness Argee has never claimed to be on the left

I don’t tend to box myself into one way of thinking, i tend to base most of my decisions and arguments on evidence to hand, hence why i’m not a fan of correlation being misunderstood for causation.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Article IV:

It is understood that:

1. Jurisdiction of the Council will cover West Bank and Gaza Strip territory, except for issues that will be negotiated in the permanent status negotiations: Jerusalem, settlements, military locations and Israelis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1682727.stm

The ICC panel didn’t specifically consider the question of the PNA’s lack of jurisdiction over Israeli citizens. If it doesn’t have jurisdiction over them in the first place, how can it transfer jurisdiction to the ICC?

I think it’s an arguable legal point. I don’t entirely see why it’s the UK that has to put the time and effort into arguing it, though…

nickc

lammy should withdraw it immediatly

Given that nothing involving our foreign relationships happens in a vacuum, I suspect that the UK are just the country that has lodged the Amicus, I’d imagine there’s quite a few others waiting on the outcome. It would probs cause some diplomatic upset that a govt with just 10 days under it’s belt could well do without if he did that. I think you’re right though, it’ll probs have no bearing on the judgement, and Lammy will support the court when/if it seeks the arrest of Netanyahu as he has said he will do.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Nope, i was talking from personal experience…more money will not ‘lift’ the children out of poverty, so the numbers stated are not really more than a shock value, with little correlation to removing children from ‘poverty’.

I’m sorry you went through that as a kid.

One of the advantages of having 4 different jurisdictions in this country is that it creates laboratories for experiments on how different policies will affect highly similar people. We have just had such an experiment in giving more money to parents of poor children in Scotland with the Scottish Child Payment.

There was broadly positive evidence supporting some of the short-term outcomes: reduced money-related stress, increased child-related spend, children able to participate in social and educational opportunities and reduced pressure on household finances, with less clear evidence for an improved position of main carers within households.

https://www.nesta.org.uk/blog/why-arent-more-people-talking-about-the-scottish-child-payment/

There is substantial evidence that generous child benefits are an effective way to reduce child poverty and improve children’s well-being and opportunities. For example, research on a previous UK expansion in financial support for families, the introduction of the child tax credit in the early 2000s, found that the money was spent on the children – on fresh fruit and vegetables and on children’s clothes, toys and activities. Meanwhile spending on alcohol and tobacco actually fell…

What Scotland’s policies can teach Westminster about fighting poverty

somafunk

binnersFull Member
    To (no doubt completely pointlessly) try to counter the relentless miserabalism and bottomless pessimism of the usual suspects on here:

UK ready to build ‘closer, more mature’ trade links with the EU

The “closer, more mature trade links” has been debunked as a total fluff piece that so7nds good yet is an utterly meaningless headline by an EU trade negotiator (was on Twitter last night) the uk has what it has and will not get any more unless single market is joined.

binners

I see a few of the forum regulars have been interviewed :)

We ask you: what are you already furious with the new government for not fixing?

ernielynch

Labour are now focusing on what really counts…… winning the next general election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/13/labour-to-fight-2029-election-like-an-insurgent-as-preparations-begin

“Labour has already begun preparing for its 2029 election campaign”

Labour will presumably be concentrating on carrying the ming vase for the next 5 years. With the predicted 45% share of the vote actually ending up being 34% the ming vase nearly slipped out of their hands and smashed last general election…… can’t afford for that to happen.

binners

Wow!! Imagine that? Wanting to serve more than one term? Mental! It’s almost like they’re a political party, or something?

In other news they’re devolving more power out of Westminster and Whitehall and having more decision-making made locally, fulfilling election promises.

The bastards!

Labour to invite England’s ‘devolution deserts’ to take on more power

kelvin

“Labour has already begun preparing for its 2029 election campaign”

Good. No complacency. The next election will be even harder, and could see the Reclaim gang and the Tories working together.

MSP

Ah, so too soon to take action on child poverty, but fine taking that time to start a 5 year election campaign.

Great to see what your priorities are.

rone

Labour are now focusing on what really counts…… winning the next general election.

Christ, imagine not having the policy to change people’s lives that they will vote for you on that basis

How’s BUPA’s Lord Darzi getting on with the NHS review? I mean it’s not as if Labour have had years to figure out what’s wrong.

Pragmatism at its finest.

somafunk

In other news they’re devolving more power out of Westminster and Whitehall and having more decision-making made locally, fulfilling election promises.

Devolution for all, hurrah!…….but no money for stuff.

ernielynch

Christ, imagine not having the policy to change people’s lives that they will vote for you on that basis

Never mind about policies, it’s winning that counts.

ernielynch

It’s almost like they’re a political party, or something?

When you say “or something” are you thinking perhaps of a football team which you back because they are your team and that’s all that matters?

You have made the football analogy before with regards to winning or losing a game. And it’s a fair one because for some people that’s all that matters.

So yeah, It’s almost like they’re a political party. But maybe more like a sports team which we all love

piemonster
    Free Member

That Gaurdian article is focused on their political strategists, it doesnt in anyway suggest the party is day to day obsessing about winning the next election.

slowoldman

Bloody right too. It’s going to take more than one term to sort out the shitshow the Tories left.

ernielynch

That Gaurdian article is focused on their political strategists, it doesnt in anyway suggest the party is day to day obsessing about winning the next election.

The Guardian article is self explanatory, it says that Labour has already begun preparing for its 2029 election campaign.

The reference to “day to day obsessing about winning the next election” is one which you have made and no one else, as far as I am aware, has.

piemonster
    Free Member

You posted this

Never mind about policies, it’s winning that counts.

Suggesting Labour are ‘focusing on the next election’ which is not what the article actually says is happening. Just a few within labour, who are political strategists.

ernielynch

It’s going to take more than one term to sort out the shitshow the Tories left.

Who’s arguing that Labour only need to be in government for one term?

I missed that one.

argee

Ah, so too soon to take action on child poverty, but fine taking that time to start a 5 year election campaign.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children

ernielynch

Suggesting Labour are ‘focusing on the next election’ which is not what the article actually says is happening.

It is exactly what the article says: “Labour has already begun preparing for its 2029 election campaign.”

Are you suggesting that they are doing it in an unfocused way? I didn’t get that impression from reading the article.

I think what you are trying to do is deny something which I have not said. You appear to be suggesting that I claimed Labour were focusing on winning the next general election and not on anything else.

What I am saying though is that for some people winning is more important than policy……..“you can’t do anything without winning blah blah blah”

Well you have won, now **** get on with it.

Poopscoop

I’ve not kept up with the thread so sorry if I’m repeating others comments but isn’t Labour preparing in the background for the next election a good thing?

It’s exactly what Reform and the Tories** are doing as well?

I don’t want a reform or Tory party in 2029 so surely this is the prudent thing for Labour to do.

** The act of choosing a new leader and the direction that leader will take them is ultimately in preparation to fight the next GE.

MSP

Mocking child poverty argee, what a nice well balanced individual you are!

piemonster
    Free Member

What I saying though is that for some people winning is more important than policy

Ok,so the article was not all that relevant then?

I’ve not spent enough time in this thread to know who it is you’re referring to. I can recall posts along the lines of “they have to win first” are you able to highlight any of those posts?

Well you have won, now **** get on with it.

Do you mean “Labour” and not “you”?

ernielynch

but isn’t Labour preparing in the background for the next election a good thing?

I said on this very thread (before July 4th) that the issue wasn’t who would win the general election, it was certain that Labour would win, but who would win in 2029. Because it all depended on the Labour government’s record and that Reform UK were likely to be a serious threat. If I can be arsed I might look for it later.

By 2029 Labour need to have delivered something substantial. Saying “we need another 5 years because of the Tories” is unlikely to be a vote winner, especially when support for Labour is not currently that high to start with.

somafunk

Mocking child poverty argee, what a nice well balanced individual you are!

argee is an agitator, nothing else.

Poopscoop

By 2029 Labour need to have delivered something substantial. Saying “we need another 5 years because of the Tories” is unlikely to be a vote winner, especially when support for Labour is not currently that high to start with.

I agree, there have to be demonstrable improvements by then but I don’t think for one second we will be close to having everything “fixed”. As long as Labour can show competence, stability and *some* quantifiably good results by then (the NHS/ social care?) a lot of the public would be inclined to give them a second term I hope.

All early days though.

ransos
    Free Member

see a few of the forum regulars have been interviewed :)

Always good to score a few points, and nevermind that the topic is child poverty. If it doesn’t affect you personally then it’s not something to worry about, eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.