Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,281 through 4,320 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • grimep
    Free Member

“I’d think some people are very easily triggered by culture war nonsense”

well no, you’d have been in a coma for 10 years so would be unaware of the culture wars.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

But but but if I’ve just come out of a coma, then Shirley I’d be LITERALLY woke?

binners

More than half of voters want Jeremy Corbyn back in the Labour Party, new poll reveals

Who ****ing cares? Seriously?

The man was always an irrelevance who seemed to bizarrely obsess a certain type of person

Asking people ‘do you think Jeremy Corbyn should be back in the Labour Party?’. That’s like asking people ‘would you agree that better to have beers on toast on white bread, rather than brown’

Did they note who answered ‘who?’ or ‘whatever’?

NOBODY ****ING CARES!

When magic grandad shuffled off to the allotment the Labour Party was 24 points behind in the polls thanks to him, now they’re on the brink of a historic majority

So Jeremy Corbyn and his cultish followers can **** right off and when they get there they can *** right off some more, and then…,

you get the picture

ernielynch

That’s just asking people ‘do you think Jeremy Corbyn should be back in the Labour Party?’. That’s like asking people ‘would you agree that better to have beers on toast on white bread rather than brown’

Did they note who answered ‘who?’ or ‘whatever’?

NOBODY ****ING CARES!

When magic grandad shuffled off to the allotment the Labour Party was 24 points behind in the polls, now they’re on the brink of a historic majority

So Jeremy Corbyn and his cultish followers can **** off and when he gets there they can *** off some more, and then…,

you get the picture

I just linked an article in the Independent about a high profile candidate in the general election, and this is the general election thread. Calm down.

And to answer your question apparently the Independent believes that their readers will be interested.

ernielynch

you’d have been in a coma for 10 years so would be unaware of the culture wars.

Indeed. The Tories have been trying to stoke up culture wars to distract attention away from their spectacular failings for literally years.

You would have to have been in a coma, or pretty daft, not to be aware of that.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20231003-uk-s-braverman-renews-culture-war-attacks-at-tory-conference

binners

Jeremy Corbyn is about as relevant to this general election as Iain Duncan Smith or William Hague, despite what bitter, disgruntled north London cult members think

He lost. Twice. Get over it!

We’ve all had to live with the consequences, but not an ounce of contrition from him. He’s just a lefty Boris. Narcissistic, egomaniacal and totally self-absorbed

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Imagine you’ve been in a coma for the last 10 years, you miraculously wake up and want to catch up on the news, and this is the first story you read https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/tony-blair-rosie-duffield-holyrood-basingstoke-canterbury-b2564637.html

what would you think has happened while you were out?

That Blair had been convicted of fraud and now everyone fact checks everything he says with Keir Starmer, who I’ve never heard of but is presumably a guy that owns a dictionary, like the boffins on Countdown.

Poopscoop

slowoldman
    Saw my first Reform sign today, by a farm field.

That’s why the cow made a break for freedom.

ernielynch

He lost. Twice. Get over it!

I have. You don’t seem to have though.

That’s quite an amazing reaction to just the mere mention of a general election candidate. In fact I didn’t even mention him, just provide a link to a newspaper article.

Is it cause he’s a lefty? You really hate the Left, don’t you?

Edit: BTW Corbyn is likely to come up again in this general election so it might help you if you could find a way of dealing with it without going hysterical 💡

Edukator
    Free Member

Is it cause he’s a lefty? You really hate the Left, don’t you?

You’re getting provacative and destructive again, Ernie, the thread has been going well including some of the stuff from you but when you start putting words into people’s mouth with your dumb questions it’s really **** irritating and the worst of STW.

ernielynch

Hit the report button Ed if you are outraged by my posts.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: Ah I see that you have edited your post now Ed.

You are apparently outraged because I suggested that binners hates the Left.

Based on his countless rants about the Left it is a perfectly reasonable observation imo.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s just a lefty Boris.

Is he bollocks.  But that’s for another thread, from five years ago.

frankconway

@binners – how’s the electioneering stuff going in your area to get rid of the mekon?

I’ll get back to you about the other stuff – nudge nudge….

dissonance

Clearly you do considering how readily you rabidly launch into rants which could be taken from gbeebies. Indeed it is odd how your attack lines match those of gbeebies and the right wing rags.

Lets hope no one is answering the door to you since otherwise its going to help out the tories and ukip.

Edukator
    Free Member

You are apparently outraged because I suggested that binners hates the Left.

An inaccurate assumption on two counts. Try reading what I actually posted and responding to that rather than inventing stuff. It’s your habit of putting question marks after stuff that’s personal, insulting and inaccurate that’s irritating –  it’s putting words into people mouths with that’s irritating.

I don’t much care about Binner’s opinion of the left, it’s your tactics I find irritating because you do it to me, Binner’s and anyone else you get in a spat with. Count the number of people whose last contribution to the Starmer thread was that they were no longer going to post in it because it was dominated by a handful of posters making debate impossible.

Be nice if whatever people have to say here they don’t get words put in their mouths, wild assumptions made about them or on their behalf etc.

I don’t find Binners “hysterical”, I find his posts funny with more than a hint of veracity.

ernielynch

I would like to correct myself;

That’s quite an amazing reaction to just the mere mention of a general election candidate. In fact I didn’t even mention him, just provide a link to a newspaper article.

In hindsight it wasn’t a reaction to the mere mention of Corbyn.

Corbyn was mentioned earlier, by kimbers I think, with regards to an Ipsos poll which claimed that he would not win Islington North, I don’t recall an asterisk-laden rant about how NOBODY CARES.

It seems that Corbyn can be mentioned as long it is only from a totally negative perspective, otherwise someone starts throwing their toys out of their pram.

Maybe binners should be messaged first before posting to check that it is okay with him to mention Corbyn?

frankconway

@dissonance – I would be very surprised if binners’ campaigning activities did anything other than promote the labour candidate in his constituency and labour’s general manifesto commitments.

In my constituency, there hasn’t been a single comment about Corbyn on the doorstep or in campaign events or at local markets.

IF jenrick, who is now in a very close fight to retain his seat, thought there was any benefit to him from referring to corbyn he would have done it by now.

He hasn’t; conclusion – corbyn is now an irrelevance.

Your experience on the doorstep may be different.

ernielynch

Jeezus……a straight fight between the Greens and Reform UK, with Labour on 10%!

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1803112570045567430

Poopscoop

ernielynch
    Jeezus……a straight fight between the Greens and Reform UK, with Labour on 10%!

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1803112570045567430

Any Labour voters there need to vote tactically!

Not my constituency but to see the Greens edged out by those ***** would be a travesty.

frankconway

Waveney Vallley is a new constituency; it’s 1 (one) of 630 seats.

The polling – and result – there is an irrelevance.

CountZero

I rarely bother with the political threads, partly because I’m just not interested in the subject enough to bother, and partly because of the way things develop, as the last two or three pages show, but, and I can’t be arsed to dig through 100-odd pages to find out if it’s been mentioned, what is the opinion on the differences that all the new constituencies may make to voting patterns?
    Chippenham has been solidly conservative for decades, but you used to see a fair amount of support for Labour, due largely to the majority of the town’s working class population being employed by Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company, but the population has grown enormously, the type of work available has diversified, and judging by the posters stuck in windows and gardens, (which is much, much less than it was say twenty years ago), the LibDems seem to be the only party with any support at all.

The boundaries are being altered locally, as are quite a few others, Michelle Donelan, our MP has shut her local office and gone elsewhere, Labour seem to have virtually no support, about 4%, the Greens have 3%, the tories only have a lead of about 4% over the LD, at 42%, so I can see that slender lead, what with the changes to local boundaries n’all, absolutely evaporating, and the same thing happening elsewhere.
    I can see Labour doing really well nationally, but I have a feeling that the LibDems might do better than many imagine, because traditional boundaries are being altered, some crossing county boundaries.
    We are certainly living in interesting times…

kerley
    Free Member

I would take Corbyn’s Labour Party over Starmers anyday and if Starmer had the same policies as Corbyn do you think he would be doing any worse today?

If Starmer’s current approach/policies were up against Boris in the “Get Brexit Done’ election do you really think he would have won against Boris.  Nope, of course he wouldn’t and Boris would have won just as easily so not really worth dwelling on that election and blaming Corbyn for letting the Tories continue.

Starmer is not ahead because people think Starmer or his policies are great.  I will be voting Labour as looking at polling in my area they seem to be second and in some polls ‘only’ 10-15% behind the tories.

rone

Exactly Kerley.

To make matters worse Starmer doesn’t really have much in the way of policy. He has flaky logic that he has to shuffle around in his head to justify sound bites to the electorate.

For example, his absolutely stupid logic over apparently modelling what it would take to nationalise certain industries is proposterous. It’s a new one some advisor has told him to say when he goes in front of journalists.

Made up.

GB energy is nothing more than poster material too, designed to tick off an idea.

It’s appears to me that centrists like to pretend they want to change things but when it comes to the crunch they jump through hoops as to why they can’t – unfunded/Truss/public finances – it’s the biggest and most financially illiterate con I’ve seen in this election.

https://x.com/darioperkins/status/1801324565823394261

The big thing about the Trussonomics fiasco is not that it “nearly crushed” the economy, a crisis that was over within weeks, but that it has scared the s*** out of UK politicians and left the whole debate about fiscal policy in a really dumb place.

It’s all going to come undone very quickly.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I would take Corbyn’s Labour Party over Starmers anyday

Glorious, smug failure.

If Starmer’s current approach/policies were up against Boris in the “Get Brexit Done’ election do you really think he would have won against Boris.  Nope, of course he wouldn’t and Boris would have won just as easily so not really worth dwelling on that election and blaming Corbyn for letting the Tories continue.

Complete rewriting of history. The country was a shitshow then and Johnson had negative approval ratings throughout the year. No deal Brexit. Illegal proroguing of Parliament and lying to the Queen. Giving govt money to someone he’d been bonking. The 2019 election was not just winnable but should have been a gift to Labour. Of course Corbyn is responsible for the loss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_approval_opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

Starmer is not ahead because people think Starmer or his policies are great.

Corbyn didn’t lose twice because people thought Corbyn or his policies were great!

anagallis_arvensis

I quite liked Corbyn and his policies

alanl
    Free Member

“I would take Corbyn’s Labour Party over Starmers anyday and if Starmer had the same policies as Corbyn do you think he would be doing any worse today? “

Then Labour would lose, again. Corbyn was toxic to the majority of Voters. Some of his teams policies were good,but some were just a joke, like many of the Tory policies now. Some of his team were good, John Mcdonald would have made a good Chancellor, but other members of his team were useless, yes, you, Diane Abbott.
    If Starmer was the Leader of the same Shadow Cabinet, with the same policies, he’d lose too. Starmer is only going to win because the Tories are so bad, and the Labour Party are not on the edge of being loonies any more, with Starmer and his team. They dont inspire the majority, but a large minority will give them a chance, as they hope they’ll be better than the idiots in charge now.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Then Labour would lose, again.

“But we would have the element of surprise! The Tories would never expect us to fight this election on the same Corbynite platform that lost us the last two elections!”

hatter

I knocked on a lot of doors in 2019, Corbyn came up again and again as.a reason people were voting Conservative.

He may be liked by some on here but electorally with the wider country he was pure poison.

Whether or not you think Starmer has gone too far the other way to compensate is up to you and many of the criticisms are valid. But to think the Labour party would be heading to government now if they still had Corbyn at the helm is willfully ignoring the lessons of the very recent past.

kerley
    Free Member

Then Labour would lose, again. Corbyn was toxic to the majority of Voters.

You missed the bit about Starmer having the policies from 5 years ago.  Corbyn is not part of that and I agree he was toxic and useless.  I am talking about what the Labour Party stood for, what they would try and acheive etc,. ignoring who the leader was at the time.

If you don’t think those policies would attract people more than Starmers overall policy of “we can’t really do anything” then I disagree with that and good luck to you and your next 5 years of nothing.

BillMC

If you asked the ‘I couldn’t vote for Corbyn’ people ‘why?’ they’d struggle to give an answer. In European terms he was middle of the road. He was defeated by RW Labour, the press and the Lobby. People now realise they were conned and people change. If Starmer had Corbyn’s policies in his manifesto he would be much more popular rather than just benefitting from the anti-Tory sentiment.  Corbyn was weak, he didn’t fight his corner but I suspect Starmer’s big-business backed neoliberalism will come unstuck pretty quickly.

mogrim

He was defeated by RW Labour, the press and the Lobby.

Maybe, but surely part and parcel of being the Labour Party leader is being able to overcome these factors?

ransos
    Free Member

The polling – and result – there is an irrelevance.

Well that’s true of any single seat in terms of deciding the election outcome, but I’d prefer it if Reform lost.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Starmers overall policy of “we can’t really do anything” then I disagree with that and good luck to you and your next 5 years of nothing

What’s wrong with not spooking the wavering Tory voter, not suggesting privatising air and gently getting into power and trying to sort the mess out?

There’s always the Reform “Smash Everything” platform that will appeal to some, but you need to get as many on board with vanilla policies to get behind the wheel of the country.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, there’s a Corbyn thread where binners can go and recycle his tedious abuse.

kerley
    Free Member

What’s wrong with not spooking the wavering Tory voter, not suggesting privatising air and gently getting into power and trying to sort the mess out?

So you believe the strategy is to get into power and then completely change to be a progressive more radical party, breaking all the pledges and ‘fiscal rules’ they have promised.

I hope you are right…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Still trying to big up Corbyn? good grief! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

politecameraaction
    Free Member

If you asked the ‘I couldn’t vote for Corbyn’ people ‘why?’ they’d struggle to give an answer.

The thing about elections is that the voters don’t have to justify why they refuse to vote for you.

He was defeated by RW Labour, the press and the Lobby. People now realise they were conned and people change.

The observable change since Corbyn’s second loss is a massive increase in support for right wing Labour.

BillMC

I think you’ll find it’s anti-Tory sentiment.

alanl
    Free Member

“What’s wrong with not spooking the wavering Tory voter, not suggesting privatising air and gently getting into power and trying to sort the mess out? “

Exactly. People dont want too much change. Just a bit better than the Tories, with a few policies that may help the Country are what the majority of people currently want. They dont want a revolution, they would never want Corbyn, despite some people still saying his Policies were good, they werent, and few would say we were conned, no, the Country overwhelmingly showed that he wasnt wanted in 2019. His voting/election results show his lack of appeal, so why do people still think he would have done a good job? He, and his Labour supporters have given us the last 7 years of incompetence, the Tories were ripe to lose in 2017, with a better Leader, Labour would have won easily, it’s Labours fault that they picked Corbyn, and left us in this mess for another 7 years.
    Starmer has said he’s hoping for small changes, which is why he’ll win. Radical policies will never win, Starmer is showing he has a bit more intelligence than Corbyn in not calling for anything that could repel any swing voters, he wants the middle ground, and with the middle ground comes policies that do not go far enough for the left (or right) campaigners.

Dickyboy

Let’s just remind ourselves that under Corbyn labour received 40% of the vote share in 2017 & 32.1% in 2019, compare that with labour results in previous years:-

2001 – 40.7%

2005 – 35%

2010 – 29%

2015 – 30.4%

Personally I don’t see his results as being toxic & voted labour for the first time in 2017 because of him being leader.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,281 through 4,320 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.