Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
    nickc

Banning it on STW won’t stop it existing.

No but it will stop the thread about the election getting derailed into a fruitless discussion about the climate. No one’s got time for that shit anymore.

PrinceJohn

I think grimep’s natural home must be Reform – they want to eradicate Net Zero, by just denying the science behind climate change.

If you want to understand the scientific basis of Reform’s climate policies, head to the party’s website.

It says trying to reduce CO2 emissions to tackle climate change is pointless.

“Climate change has happened for millions of years, before man made CO2 emissions, and will always change”, its website says.

“We are better to adapt to warming, rather than pretend we can stop it”, it concludes.

It also appears British people don’t groom kids – nice assumption that…

Stop Child Grooming Gangs
    Deport offenders holding dual citizenship. Make
    child grooming an aggravating offence. Improve
    safeguarding of victims and vulnerable. No bail for
    grooming gang offenders.

There’s so much in their contract that doesn’t hold up to seconds critical thought – unfortunately most of their fans seem to ignore this

kerley
    Free Member

There’s so much in their contract that doesn’t hold up to seconds critical thought – unfortunately most of their fans seem to ignore this

I would guess they don’t possess any critical thought so only option is to go with it.

BillOddie

“We are better to adapt to warming, rather than pretend we can stop it”

They are going to be shocked at what happens when the parts of the world near the equator get even hotter/wetter/unliveable, you know the bits with the brown people…

kerley
    Free Member

brown people are not a concern as they won’t be coming over here, they won’t be allowed to remember.

PrinceJohn

Turns out punching Nazi’s is now frowned upon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv225k88nldo

(according to some locals, Steve made the first move)

ernielynch

No but it will stop the thread about the election getting derailed into a fruitless discussion about the climate.

But that literally hasn’t happened.

nickc

Only because you bought it up again!

susepic

Suspect many of you on the thread are already registered – but just a reminder to anyone who has not yet registered to vote that you have until 23.59 tomorrow Tuesday to do that online. Spread the word people.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

imnotverygood

I think this needs to be settled by a political episode of Gladiators, beamed out live to the nation on prime time Saturday night telly.

This explains why Ed Davey is doing all these stunts. He’s obviously in training.

ernielynch

Only because you bought it up again!

That makes no sense.

You talk about wanting to stop the thread about the election getting derailed into a fruitless discussion about the climate.

I point out that actually it hasn’t been detailed into a fruitless discussion about the climate.

And your reply is “only because you bought it up again”.  Did you misread what I wrote or something?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There you go again!

ernielynch

There I go again not talking about climate change?

Well yeah, I’ll own up! 😀

ernielynch

And in other non-climate related news Labour are up one point from 4 days ago in Redfield’s latest poll.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-14-17-june-2024/

I really did expect Labour’s share to start falling back a bit as we approached election day but that hasn’t started yet, in fact it’s going in the opposite direction!

Klunk
    Free Member

the result for that poll….

Wipeout!

Klunk
    Free Member

is 18% rock bottom for the tories or can they go lower ?

kormoran
    Free Member

kelvin

Polling can go lower for the Conservatives. Expect vote share on election day will be much higher. Whatever the current Farage vehicle is… it must make polling harder to get right when it’s in full bullshit flow… soaking up attention and fleeting high support with its “radical” noises and “reasonable” looking fascism.

airvent
    Free Member

Anyone’s guess but generally polls narrow in the close run up to an election date so it’s probably as low as it’ll get.

BruceWee

Anyone’s guess but generally polls narrow in the close run up to an election date so it’s probably as low as it’ll get.

They could narrow but with Reform being the party they narrow against.  With Tories continuing to also bleed support to Reform.

kormoran
    Free Member

Yeah 18% is certainly expanding the envelope of possibility. Lower seems unlikely but hey, Tories “hold my beer” etc

Actually somewhat disappointed with the lib dem polling. Under the circumstances I’d have thought upper teens.

I’m beginning to wonder if we might see a proper Tory pile on. “Finish them!”

kelvin

For the LibDems it is about increasing their share of seats, not votes. Every chance they could have a lower share of the votes, but much higher share of the seats than at the last election, if people vote tactically. Plenty of LibDem supporters will be voting Labour in seats where that is needed to kick out Conservatives, lowering their polling when the question is asked how people intend to vote.

ernielynch

Under the circumstances I’d have thought upper teens.

Yeah it is a little surprising under the circumstances but I wouldn’t be surprised if support for the LibDems shoots up in the last couple of days of the campaign, as well as that of the Tories, as people become convinced that Starmer will have a huge majority.

I think a lot of people are still a bit sceptical of the certainty of a large Labour majority, whatever the polls say.

binners

I see the little fella had been at the dressing up box again.

Why does he do this? He looks so horrendously uncomfortable wearing hard hats and stuff that normal people wear to do actual proper jobs, it just massively magnifies how far removed from that world he is.

8A4847DE-8DFE-4A73-BD0C-C6B01DD89DC8

I suppose if you’re on an oil rig though, at least you’ve got a legit reason for arriving by helicopter

kormoran
    Free Member

ha ha ha ha haaa…his gloves!

does he pay VAT on his clothes?

theotherjonv

I think this needs to be settled by a political episode of Gladiators, beamed out live to the nation on prime time Saturday night telly.

This explains why Ed Davey is doing all these stunts. He’s obviously in training.

If that’s the methodology, from what I’ve seen of his training, Libdems are in danger of finishing 12th behind even the weird sexytime tantric lady

igm

Just read the last two pages. I kept agreeing with that ernielynch chap. Terrible. I need to dust down my pro-Europe, pro-Britain, anti-Brexit, middle class educated liberal credentials and start shouting about banning things. 😉

Mad Fadge’s manifesto made less sense that a Truss-tastic budget.  And would hurt the country more.

But anyone who wants to defend it is welcome to try.

All just my opinion of course.

Poopscoop

Channel 4 sent a notification to my mobile reminding me to register to vote.

I like that. 👍

slowoldman

Plenty of LibDem supporters will be voting Labour in seats where that is needed to kick out Conservatives

Let’s hope Labour voters return the compliment.

dogbone

Won’t a lot of previous Tory voters suddenly vote Tory again if they think they are heading for that level of wipe out. I can’t quite believe a 300+ seat loss (but happy to see one).

binners

Farages ‘contract’ may be a load of old swollocks, but he’s once again leading Rishi and chums around by the nose

Wherever he goes, they all trot dutifully along behind him. They’ll never beat him in a head to head for the racist pensioners vote, but the man-frogs anti-net-zero statements over the last few days had Lil Rishi flying out to an oil rig to tell them all how much he just loves burning good old British fossil fuels.

Its tragic really just how terrified they are of him, Nige is technically already Tory Party leader as he’s essentially writing their policies for them on the hoof

argee

Mad Fadge’s manifesto made less sense that a Truss-tastic budget.  And would hurt the country more.

Reforms manifesto is the right equivalent of the greens manifesto, they are parties who will never be near power, so have no real concern about ever having to integrate the actual policies, instead just having them down and preaching them gives them the backing of certain voters.

mattyfez

The way I’m reading the various voting intention polls is that reform have basically nicked approximately 50% of the Conservative vote… Give or take. Which can only be good news for labour, lib dems and greens.

Con + reform is still not quite good enough to match labours lead.. So if anything I think we’ll see a Labour majority, or possibly a Labour deal with the libs and /or greens.

The numbers just don’t add up for a Tory /reform deal.

Although voting intentions don’t translate directly into seats won so it will be interesting to see what seats are won and by who..

Kramer
    Free Member

I think that one of the things about mathematical models, including polling models, is that the greater the change that is predicted, they are vastly more uncertain.

I am not a statistics expert, but I am an amateur mathematician, and AFAIK there is no way to correct for this other than guessing.

For that reason I don’t think that we’ll see quite the wipeout that the polls are predicting.

mattyfez

Won’t a lot of previous Tory voters suddenly vote Tory again if they think they are heading for that level of wipe out. I can’t quite believe a 300+ seat loss (but happy to see one).

Quite possibly but as I said above, I *think* it won’t matter given labours lead..

I don’t think Labour will win as many seats as the voting intention polls suggest, but worst case scanario Labour will have a small majority and could probably schmooze the greens and lib dem officials enough to boost them a bit further if push came to shove.

The thought of having a few reform MPs is a little concerning on the surface, but ultimately they are 99.9% tory defectors anyway, so it’s a reasonably comfortable position for labour, IMO.

ThePinkster

they are parties who will never be near power,

I do wish folks here wouldn’t use phrases like that. It is too reminiscent of political thinking of about a century ago, when it was thought that funny little man with the silly Charlie Chaplin moustache was just a minor nuisance and would never amount to anything.

He and his type need watching as he is dangerous even if he doesn’t yet have any political power

ernielynch

The way I’m reading the various voting intention polls is that reform have basically nicked approximately 50% of the Conservative vote

Not all the Reform UK vote comes from the Tories. I can’t remember the precise figure but something like 30% comes from Labour.

And there is some evidence that in the last week or so Reform UK has been eating into the Labour vote – several polls have put Labour on less than 40%, that hadn’t previously happened for about 2 years.

soobalias
    Free Member

Labour’s extreme net-zero proposals put the unnecessary demands of green ideology ahead of the needs of British families For no benefit they will push our nation’s finances to a cliff edge, hike your bills and hand tyrant’s like Putin the power to blackmail the UK.

thats quite some mental gymnastics..  please tell me thats the parody account?

binners

I’m afraid not. That’s the prime minister of the UK  singing straight from Farages climate-change-denial playbook

Sunaks and Farages messaging is now pretty much  identical on this and many other issues as they race to the bottom

He really is a weak and pathetic little man

Jamze

I thought 70% of the UK generally supported net zero/2050, or has that changed? Why is Sunak chasing 30% and putting off 70% of people?

Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.