• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by devs.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • UCI DH World Cup Fort William – Access
  • Dark-Side

Just looking to book accommodation for the World Cup weekend and struggling to get what we want in town. What is access like for driving in and out over the weekend if we were to stay outside?

easygirl

Access is no problem
    You could park in town and get one of the many buses to the venue, transport is very well organised
    We have never had any problems it’s parking
    Turning up at the venue and parking will be harder

thegreatape
    Free Member

How far out are you thinking?

Dark-Side

Thanks Easygirl.

Thegreatape; Probably 30 mins or so.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

If you want to park at the venue you have to get there early but I parked there last year no problems.

downgrade
    Free Member

There’s also a cycle path all the way out from town, definitely the best way to get away at the end of the day (downhill) …

hels
    Free Member

Best bet is to park in the town, the queues for those buses at the end of the day are shortish, the ones for the park’n’ride are gargantuan.

Dark-Side

Looks like we should be ok then. Thanks all.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Half hour north or south?

Dark-Side

North I think, there are a few chalet type places about 20 miles outside Fort William

Northwind

Nobody seems to realise there’s anything north of fort william. Even for regular events like 10utb fort william can be full to the gills but spean bridge is half empty- and it’s quicker to get to nevis range by road from spean bridge than from most of the fort.

I don’t know how good the travel links are down to the race though, I’ve never made it yet but I planned to cycle in last time. Then decided not to bother and went for a bike ride 😆

CraigW
    Free Member

There is a bus from Spean Bridge to the World Cup. Its not as frequent as the main park and ride, but usually not too busy.

Or you could cycle through the forest, its only about 10km.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you do cycle, take a decent lock. Thefts from the bike parking area have occurred over the years – minimal for the amount of bikes there, but not unheard of.

I agree with Northwind, and you – north is good. As well as Spean and Roybridge, you’ve got the Gairlochy area, which would be an easy cycle along the canal then the cycle path to NR.

Dark-Side

Thanks all, thats great. We looked at a place in Spean Bridge so I’ll shortlist it. Cycling not an option unfortunately, as we have two small kids and a dog. I’ll hopefully have a trade stand, so parking shouldn’t be an issue.

devs
    Free Member

I always park at Spean Bridge and get the bus. It’s well organised. Baiting the grumpy lady at the Spean Bridge chippy is fun too. Dunno if I’d want to stay there though, I’d prefer the nightlife in Fort Bill for that weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘UCI DH World Cup Fort William – Access’ is closed to new replies.