Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • U2 – old v new ?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve been listening to some early U2 albums, WAR, Under a Blood Red Sky, Boy, October, not listened to these for ages but now I’ve got them on mp3, flippin marvelous, haven’t heard these for years and making my hairs stand on end listening to them … really loud!

I kind of lost interest in them about Achtung Baby, so what’s their new stuff like, is it going to make my hairs stand on end with the same raw lyrics and sound, or are they nothing like they used to be?

Oh, and if you’ve never listened to that early stuff you should!

🙂

hp_source

yup, older is better for sure, Rattle and Hum for me and Joshua Tree.

download spotify and have a listen to the new stuff for free 🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Oh, and no arguing about them being commercial puppets, hypocrits or Bono being able to walk on water? 😉

sslowpace
    Free Member

Achtung baby was the pinnacle for me

hp_source

to be fair I know he’s a bit preachy at times but at least he’s trying to do some good with the influence he’s got.

they also seem to have a good laugh still, did you listen to the radio 2 stuff when they were in recently?

Raouligan
    Free Member

Pre Joshua Tree pretty good, Joshua tree passable but a bit pants, beyond that, er no…

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

to be fair I know he’s a bit preachy at times but at least he’s trying to do some good with the influence he’s got

I agree.

Didn’t catch them on radio 2, I’ve kinda ignored them for a while, was thinking about downloading their new stuff to see what it’s all about?

I remember egerly waiting for Achtung Baby and being a bit disappointed, same when they did the Unforgetable Fire – but I stuck with Unforgetable Fire a bit more and got to like it, maybe I should drag out Achtung Baby and give it a go?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I think it’s up to Rattle and Hum for me, which doing a quick google says it was 1988 😯 … no way! 20 years ago?

SaxonRider

I was a U2 addict from Under a Blood Red Sky until Zooropa. They still had a good song or two on All That You Can’t Leave Behind, but now they just bore me.

I mean, grow up, throw in the Rock n Roll towel, and get into serious politics, or serious art, or just shut up.

I can’t believe I’m saying that about the band that got me through my youth.

Chase
    Free Member

I got on the U2 bandwagon following Live Aid. I still really like the old stuff, especially Boy and October. War never really clicked with me. Joshua Tree is a great album. Achtung Baby took a bit of getting used to but I really like it. Pop was good, some really good songs on it. Then it all went a bit downhill. Zooropa was poor and with the exception of two or three tracks, All That You Leave behind left me behind with it. I bought Vertigo and listened to it once, but went back to it after been blown away by No Line On The Horizon and realised Vertigo is a pretty good album too.
    The new album, IMO is superb and I am really looking forward to seeing them in Sheffield in August.

jimster
    Free Member

Kojak, dig out Achtung Baby and give it a go, as said earlier that’s their pinnacle IMO.

Runaway from POP, that’s their Kid A album.

Garry_Lager

Anything since Achtung Baby is last. Desperately tedious stuff made for people who don’t really enjoy listening to music. Achtung Baby was hit and miss itself, but at least they had the balls at the time to try a different direction.

Still think The Joshua Tree holds up nicely though, some great tracks.

BoardinBob

Peaked at Achtung Baby.

Everything since has just been filler.

Hadge
    Free Member

Joshua Tree is their finest IMO and I love the early stuff too. But to me they haven’t stood still and still make music that appeals to new listeners yet still has it’s roots in the early stuff. Got my tickets for Sheffield and can’t wait see them – bring it on 😀

timdrayton
    Free Member

exactly saxonrider

loved joshua tree, my favourite album of all time, I still get excited when i hear the slowly crescendoing riff on where the streets have no name, and can still not even vaguely play it even though it inspired me to learn the guitar 20 years ago

achtung baby almost as much

zooropa was pretty good,

pop alright,

then oh dear dissapointment from then on

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Most overrated band this side of The Rolling Stones.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve never seen the appeal

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Under a Blood Red Sky & Joshua Tree + pride

“free at last, they took your life; they could not take your pride…”

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Achtung Baby for me, too.Generally pedestrian,or plain irritating.

takisawa2

Early, without a doubt.

johnhoo
    Free Member

early for me too

I first saw them on TV on TOGWT about 1979-80 – would’ve been around the time of Boy. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock & I Will Follow, IIRC. Perfect.
    Then I saw another TV show, BBC again, round about 81, Stiff Little Fingers (I was a big fan of theirs) & U2, not necessarily supporting each other. That was good too.

I also have October, Under a Blood Red Sky & War. I think there’s a copy of The Joshua Tree on cassette somewhere in the house. Haven’t bought owt since though

fizzer
    Free Member

Old

antigee

some of the old stuff gets me – New Years Day, With or Without,

newer stuff – well worked with a guy that loved it – stacked on his car cd player – and i tried and tried but just can’t get it

Junkyard
    Free Member

at least he’s trying to do some good with the influence he’s got.

Protesters have demonstrated outside the Department of Finance against U2’s decision to move their tax affairs to the Netherlands to avoid paying tax on their royalties in Ireland.
    U2 moved their publishing arm to the Netherlands in 2006 after the Government capped tax-free earnings for artists at €250,000. Previously, U2 had been one of the biggest beneficiaries of Ireland’s tax-free status for artist royalties
    Bono impersonator Paul O’Toole reworked the lyrics of I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For to mock the band’s decision. “I know avoiding tax ain’t fair/it’s just because I’m a millionaire, I don’t need to pay like you, no, I won’t pay like you/because I still haven’t learned about democracy.”
    Mr O’Toole said: “Their music does not bother me. It is their policy of avoiding tax that bothers me. Bono talks about dead kids, but he won’t pay a penny towards it.”

not sure how the hypocrit could crawl further up his own arse. The multimillionaire is happy to lecture our government about what to do with our taxes and third world debt [noble cause]whilst ensuring he pays as little as possible in tax himself
    oh and really cr@p music to

samuri
    Free Member

I just listened to that latest song on the radio. I actually retuned the station in because I thought I was getting some static. The most popular band in the world? couldn’t possibly produce something this bad, I thought, but then I remembered the most popular sport is football so it makes more sense now.

Nope, it really is an absolutely appalling song rammed so far up Bono’s arse that anyone who listens to it and likes it is actually licking his bright red ring. That’s what you’re doing when you buy that record, giving it to him.

Edit: So that means I prefer the old stuff when he sang about stuff going on in Ireland. You might have to point that country out on a map to him if you see him because he’s probably forgotten where it is.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“to be fair I know he’s a bit preachy at times but at least he’s trying to do some good with the influence he’s got”

What a load of trollocks. He’s the biggest egotistical prat out there. He has got to be one of the richest men in the world but he doesnt dig that deep in to his own pockets to help others.

U2 used to be great, then got up their own bum’s.

Stu_N

Favourite albums are definitely the older ones – Boy, Under a Blood Red Sky, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby (Which was 1992 – so 17 years ago! ****!)

Never really got War, Pop and Zooropa. Everything since has been a bit iffy, though I does likes No Line On The Horizon (but not a patch on the older stuff).

They are one of the few bands for whom I have every album but perhaps they should stop now. Once bands stop wanting women and money and fast cars they loose the hunger and turn into a pale imitation of their former glory. And that is a SCIENCE FACT.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘U2 – old v new ?’ is closed to new replies.