Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tyres question… kill me now!
  • vrapan
    Free Member

I got a pair of Panaracers Fire XC currently on. I quite like them, but I am after something with a bit less rolling resistance without significant loss of grip… Any suggestions? My GT had 2.35 Ignitors but felt they were a lot more draggy.

fatboyjon

Sit still, I'm struggling to aim.

vrapan
    Free Member

I thought that's how it was played?

theyEye
    Free Member

WTB Weirwolf LT?

nickc

anything you put on will have less resistance than Fire XC pros TBH

oldfart

High Rollers.

vrapan
    Free Member

at 2.5 too big and very heavy too… unless you were being funny 🙂

Edit that was for the WTB suggestion :p

Are HRs faster than Ignitors? And seriously had no clue Fire XCs were considered very draggy.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Continental speed kings – betterer grip and cornerering, extra low rolling resistance, lighter and extra cheap on-one cheap tyres

vrapan
    Free Member

High Roller Exceptions seem quite ok actually. My only problem with the Ignitors was that when it get around to slide somewhere you never knew when it would grip though it always managed to do so. Fire XCs are a lot more predictable I thought.

theyEye
    Free Member

I love my weirwolfs. Even on asphalt they feel quick!

buster
    Free Member

vrapan
    Fire XC are very popular in my neck of the woods. They are an all round tyre for offroad and quite a low profile. I would stick with them for off road but consider a more intermediate tyre if you are on roads more than off.
    I think Racing Ralph has a lower profile if you want to splash the cash.
    For dry weather and roads i use Schwalbe LandCruisers on my mountain bike.
    Good luck!
    Buster

el_creedo
    Free Member

I used to commute (40% offroad, 60 on) on Fire XC's and never noticed them being draggy, loved them to bits in fact.
    Now – my current Rampages – they drag, jaheesus.
    Conti Vert pros – quickest, grippiest (light too) most predictable tyres I ever owned, when run on wider rims at least.

vrapan
    Free Member

Have to say I can corner very nicely on Fire XC which I really like but still. Thing is I have busted my rear Fire XC so I am looking to try something faster on the back. Might have a go at an HR/Ignitor Exception .

james
    Free Member

Maybe 2.1" or 1.95"(probably about the same volume as 2.1" Fire XCs) Kenda Nevegal DTC folding (or DTC-lite for the 1.95"). Still a knobbly and will cope with mud about as well, but the ramps help it a little, not loads but okay. The ramps do mean they won't climb quite as well in slop though (unless reversed)

Or the visually identical Panaracer Rampage 2.1". About £8 more per tyre though

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Nobby Nics f and r,or even Nobby Nic with a Racing Ralph on the rear.

mttm
    Free Member

Try a Maxxis Advantage 2.1" Exception – more of everything you said you liked, less of everything you said you didn't.

vrapan
    Free Member

Was worried of loss of grip with Advantages mttm, though I guess with Fire XCs up front it should all be ok ?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

YAWN! Keep trying different tyres, its a personal thing IMO, can I go back to sleep now.

vrapan
    Free Member

Yeap, sweet dreams ! Was never trying to wake you up flippin :p

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'm actually a bit of a Panaracer fan, an admittance which is something akin to a suicide note on here – you have to like Maxxis

I found the Cinder 2.25 a great step up from the XC – similar design but bigger and seems to roll well. Moved on from them to Rampage 2.35's which are really fast rolling and very grippy providing you get the pressures right

Edit – saw the comments about Advantages. IME the worst tyre I have ever experienced by a long way in slippery rooty/muddy conditions

vrapan
    Free Member

Captain when you say "right pressures' do you mean they are happier with lower pressures? I am going tubeless just cause I fancy another tyre related challenge so not so sure how they would cope with lower pressure.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yeah, when I put the Rampages on at the same pressures as my Cinders (28f, 30r) they were horrible. Dropped them to 26/28 which still feels pretty firm when you grab the tyre and grip improved hugely. Now running them 25/27. BTW I am 75kg, so about 82kg fully loaded

pedalhead
    Free Member

Try a Maxxis Advantage 2.1" Exception – more of everything you said you liked, less of everything you said you didn't.

I agree with this bloke!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Nobby Nics 2.25 excellent in every way

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

Nobby Nics 2.25 excellent in every way

except the price!

james
    Free Member

"except the price! "
    and the sidewall thickness and ..

emac65
    Free Member

Keep an XC on the front(if you like them) & buy one of those Michy AT's for a tenner from On One.They roll nice & offer good grip too & are dirt cheap…..

hillsplease

Nobby Nics. Unless you ride somewhere rocky. With Racing Ralphs for the summer. Unless you're heavy/aggressive in riding.

borwens
    Free Member

less draggy??? maxis crossmax, or larsens…… whaddya mean u want none draggy and grippy at the same time??????

vrapan
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys lots of food for thought.

Borwens I said I would like something less draggy than Fire XC Pros but hopefully without much loss of grip. I don't expect a brilliant gripping semi slick, I am not delusional – yet 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

Cinders…
    **** all the rest and **** the drag..just ride man, 😀

vrapan
    Free Member

Wish I could blower, too short with small legs so I need all the help I can get :p No Cinders for me, lol too knobbly and toooooo heavy

davefarmer
    Free Member

vredestein spotted cat

Grimy
    Free Member

You cant have the best of both grip and speed, so choose a compromise, or buy a road bike.

Personaly, I've settled with a Cinder on the front and a Rampage on the rear, good grippy tyres but with a little more air in to aid rolling resistance. 35psi front and about 43rear.

I cant see any tyre rolling too well with 25psi 😯 mind you with my weight they wouldnt last to long either at that.

vrapan
    Free Member

Grimy I know, I am afraid I am repeating my self. I was after a tyre that is better on both count than the Panaracer XC Pro. I do not expect a slick with the grip of an octopus. Just an improvement than what I have now and just on the back.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tyres question… kill me now!’ is closed to new replies.