Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyres for Kielder 100?? UST…
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Morning all, New bike should have UST's on as standard, but does anyone have any thoughts on the best tyres for the event?

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Depends on the weather… Course described as fireroad, singletrack and grass – if it's wet mud tyres will be a must (especially on the grass). I did a marathon event there a couple of months ago – it rained overnight and some of the fireroad sections were pretty gloopy.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Will proper muds not make the rest of the 100k difficult though? I'd probably prefer to loose a bit in the grip department for something that rolls better on everything else, saying that, I don't know what the course will be, but the manmade stuff and the fireroads should stay in reasonable nick I'd have thought

miketually
    Free Member

Will proper muds not make the rest of the 100k difficult though?

100 miles 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

well there you go!

Please tell me you're not singlespeeding it!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Any other thoughts for actual tyres?

miketually
    Free Member

Please tell me you're not singlespeeding it!

Of course I am; my only geared bike is a 6-speed cargo bike that weighs 50lbs!

Tyres: I was thinking of getting some better rolling tyres, but have decided that I'll probably just run the 2.25" non-folding Mountain kings that are already on the bike because I'm too cheap to buy special tyres 🙂

Saintly
    Free Member

Running Stans tubeless rims with a 2.25 nobby nic up front and a ralph rear.
    If the weather degrades further leading up to the event, I will change the rear back to my winter favourite the mudx. Although I'm a bit like miketually in the fact I will generally run whats on the bike at the time.

saladdodger
    Free Member

what bike are you getting then???

charlierevell
    Free Member

Orange 5 Mr Bev! But its UST and I need tyre Ideas!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

conti race kings, maybe a rocket ron up front

saladdodger
    Free Member

the Nobby Nick on the front and Racing Ralph on the back is a fast and grippy combo love em on the Simple and the Trance

spinout
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud-X here. Pretty good in wet/mud conditions but not bad allround tyres.

Need plenty of decent sealent though and I wouldn't run them at too low pressures. First time I used them at Cwmcarn they burped a lot.

Just used them on the Exmoor Explorer and they were great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Kielder 100?? UST…’ is closed to new replies.