Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tyre tart having trouble …
  • cinnamon_girl

My patience is running out!

Briefly, am changing from tubeless back to tubes (don't ask about C_G logic). Have removed rim strip and replaced with insulating tape, as recommended on here, cos it's a stubborn DT Swiss 4.2 rim.

Put on the tyre (Maxxis Medusa that had been used tubeless) and it deflates despite having checked tube first. Remove said tube and use another tube. Same thing has happened.

But the Medusa does not say it is specifically a UST tyre so assume it can do both. Can't find info on their website either.

Over to the STW Massiv cos they're bound to know. Thank you lovely people 🙂

A very fed-up C_G

rOcKeTdOg

checked medusa for thorns not noticed because it was tubeless?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup that's what i'd say something's stuck in your tyre.

cinnamon_girl

It flatted when tubeless due to a rather large thorn! Found another Medusa in the garage and has been triple-checked by my fair hands.

If a tyre is specifically UST, can tubes not be used?

rOcKeTdOg

inflate the removed tubes, check for leaks, then you can definately rule out thorns etc

cinnamon_girl

Yep, inflated tubes, put in water, no bubbles. I don't understand what is going on!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

it's got to be coming out somewhere.
    Reinflate as you had in the wheel, put wheel in water, maybe valve base torn.

angryratio
    Free Member

valve core/s ?

cinnamon_girl

If it is a UST tyre, will it make any difference with a tube inside? Sorry but don't understand what the difference is between UST and non-UST 😳

I'm just getting cross now, perhaps I will leave it til tomorrow once I've checked the valve.

Aaaarrrggghhh!

Thanks for replies. 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

I run a Bonti tubeless ready tyre with an inner tube with no problems – well other than it's a ba**ard to get on the rim 😕

You should be OK using tubes once you find out why it keeps going down.

Not wishing to teach C-G to suck eggs but have you run your fair hand round the tyre both ways? sometimes I find that I only locate the thorn etc running my hand both ways, could be worth a punt if you haven't already done so.

dobo
    Free Member

tubes work in all tyres ust or not

sounds like you are either pinching the tube when you put the tyre on or have a thorn in it somewhere or your valves are faulty or you are faulty 🙂

br
    Free Member

You can use a tube in a UST, its not a problem, just a rather heavy way of going about it.

A UST tyre has an airtight membrane and a different bead.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Right

I suspect you have a tiny thorn in the tyre – so small you've missed it. These buggers can create minute holes in tubes that then take hours to deflate.
    I have 3 punctured tubes awaiting more detailed examiniation to find these micro holes, thanks to a tiny tiny thorn in my slick tyres.

cinnamon_girl

Well, it's 2 Medusa tyres that this has been happening with which is why I was asking about how UST are different to tubed tyres. One of the tyres has fitted a Flataway kevlar tyre liner which means that normally only large thorns can penetrate.

I do accept that my recent riding has seen a lot of thorns as another bike has a flat rear tyre which isn't tubeless. Am also thinking that my garage floor needs to be swept in case anything is being picked up there.

Thanks very much for suggestions though, certainly appreciated.

DeeJay
    Free Member

valve core/s ?

I bought some new tubes recently without realising they had removeable valve cores – tyre kept going down overnight until it dawned on me that the core was loose and just needed nipping up – even then it was flat again halfway through Sundays ride

woody2000

Take some bog roll and lightly run it round the inside of the tyre – if there's a little something sticking through the carcass the bog roll will stick to it.

dropoff

Is the tyre bead sealing onto the rim as you pump up the tube, then the tube will compress the air caught between it and the tyre but will leak out slowly and seem like a puncture. Try reinflating the tube and see if it happens again.

kevonakona
    Free Member

As Dropoff, could be air trapped in ust and giving appearance of pressure in tube, then deflating tubeless part of set up as there's no gunk left. We had one go on a ride everyone heard the deflation but the tube was sound.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do I have to come round and fix it again? 😉

Or do you want to bring your wheels round here?

You know it's the quickest option in the long run. 😀

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Again, it's probably sucking eggs time again but if you line up the logo on the tyre with the valve, when it punctures and you take the tube out, find the hole in the tube and violia, you can pinpoint EXCACTLY where on the tyre the problem is.

boobs

I have had a tyre that kept on failing on a ride and could find nothing inside. In the end I found it was a small flint on the outside that poked through occasionally when inflated and being used. So check the outside too.

cinnamon_girl

Another learning curve this morning. 🙄

Checked carefully both inner tubes by hand and found tiny wee thorns so that would explain the very slow punctures. Fingers crossed this now gets sorted. 🙂

Mr Poddy – thank you very much for kind offer anyway!

cinnamon_girl

Edit – I always thought this business of lining up logo's was a joke! I can see the point now. 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tyre tart having trouble …’ is closed to new replies.