Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tyler, The Creator – Goblin Album – First proper listen!
  • letmetalktomark

***Warning: Contains wrap music content***

I heard the track Yonkers a while back and have been keen to hear more from the album.

Personally I think a lot of rap has gotten very commercial and a bit soft so was keen to hear this album in depth.

On my first listen its apparent that it is neither commercial or soft.

Dark is the word that springs to mind.

Some of the stuff is maybe a bit close to the bone but it makes for an interesting listen 😆

Really liking it.

Any other fans here?

For those that want a taste have a listen to this:

***Warning – Very, very strong language*** 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw[/video]

grum
    Free Member

He’s been getting massive hype recently – I struggle to see what all the fuss is about tbh. I mean, it’s ok – to me it just sounds like what the Wu Tang clan were doing nearly 17 years ago (damn that makes me feel old), but not as good – ie stripped down, raw, dark, uncommercial

That video is cool though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally I think a lot of rap has gotten very commercial and a bit soft so was keen to hear this album in depth.

Well, if you will listen to Radio 1 😉

Nice vid and beats…..rhymes..well…they are ok I guess. Will give the lp a listen for sure.

grum
    Free Member

This video is funny

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlGWRPnp0ok[/video]

tom84
    Free Member

i’m into this, i like the earl album too, weird to see it discussed here though. i’m interested to know what you guys are like, if you don’t mind me saying, do you live in london?

viv
    Free Member

yeah, he is getting hype – and he’s getting a backlash too….

Odd Future are fantastic though – Frank Ocean – nature feels- is dope as huck, I actually bob along to that, cannae halp it.

I can’t wait to get my mitts on Goblin though.

Strage you mention the WU, I’ve revisited them recently, AND TICAL!!! the meths LP – so so so underrated.

grum
    Free Member

i’m into this, i like the earl album too, weird to see it discussed here though. i’m interested to know what you guys are like, if you don’t mind me saying, do you live in london?

Why do you ask? I live in Lancaster, about as far removed from London as you can get – I’ve been into hip-hop for a long time though. I heard of him a while ago from mates but he has been getting a lot of hype – he was on the cover of NME recently.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Very meh from me. Interested to hear more though.

Might have to listen to more, but it sounds similar to stuff like Wu Tang (as said above), Lord Quas, maybe even DOOM have been doing for a while, just without good production.

Oh, and the soft/commercial rap thing isn’t true. Lots of rappers coming through now who aren’t, CyHi, Yelawolf, Giggs, Pusha T (as a solo artist) etc etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

After listening to some more album, what did we do before itunes eh?, I think its a bit meh. I reminds me more of a sub-par Gravediggaz.

I think live is where it is at with ofwgkta.

Anyways…watch for Dels….new album out on Big Dada soon:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjAnmqecMKI[/video]

letmetalktomark

tom84 – Member
    if you don’t mind me saying, do you live in london?

Wilds of Suffolk here – wheres London? 😆

Regarding the Wu comments I think that was some of the last real rap.

Sawyer – Member

Oh, and the soft/commercial rap thing isn’t true. Lots of rappers coming through now who aren’t, CyHi, Yelawolf, Giggs, Pusha T (as a solo artist) etc etc.

Okay maybe Yelawolf but Giggs & Pusha T aren’t rappers in the same light as Wu, NWA etc

Another good track/vid from the group:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_loMbmKJ8[/video]

tom84
    Free Member

i guess just because it seems to be marketed at a hipster-ish crowd, very prevalent where i live. Vice got to him first in terms of publications, and that comes with certain associations. But I really like odd future.

Just to follow on from another comment, giggs’ albums are pretty shit but he has really good moments, find his ‘best of giggs’ mixtapes (2+3 available free online) they show off his talents better. Also i loved tempz’ ‘next hype’ track from a couple of years ago. but that is just kind of funny shouting.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Okay maybe Yelawolf but Giggs & Pusha T aren’t rappers in the same light as Wu, NWA etc

Oh no I wasn’t saying that. Just that they offer something different.

I don’t think there’s anyone currently out there at the level of 36 Chambers or Madvillainy. However, I think Kanye is probably closest.

Giggs – I think he’s probably the best British rapper around, Take Your Hats Off is a bit samey though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Giggs – I think he’s probably the best British rapper around

British 50 Cent as far as I am concerned……not a compliment 8)

grum
    Free Member

British 50 Cent as far as I am concerned……not a compliment

Agreed, poor.

I like the production on that Dels track – heard it before but didn’t know what it was – not blown away by the rapping though.

Anyone listen to the Nextmen podcasts? Some good stuff on them.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Heh, I see your point. Can’t stand 50 Cent though.

Will look up Nextmen, never heard of that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Two chaps from Cambridge if I remember right….Nextmen that is.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, surprised to see this thread on STW!
    Can’t get enough of Odd Future personally. Strange – I think Goblin is weaker than a lot of the free stuff available on their website.

oddfuture.com/music (I think – currently blocked at my work)

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyways….just while I am shuffling about on Youtube….

Awesomeness.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03uNOGfWJU[/video]

Sawyer
    Free Member

Recommend Nextmen podcast. Listening to the latest one now, it’s keeping me going through a last minute deadline.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tyler, The Creator – Goblin Album – First proper listen!’ is closed to new replies.