Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 417 total)
  • Twenty years ago….What were you riding?
  • honourablegeorge

I was between this and a Claud Butler Vantage mountain bike.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Raleigh banana

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had a Scott America , I think it was called ? A huge tubed alloy hard tail which got sold for a Proflex 955 which I fell in love with on the cover on MTBR , I think !

ton

one of these…..not my pic tho.

swingbing
    Free Member

Edric64
    Free Member

No stick shift on that chopper ?

tomhoward

That chopper is about 7 yrs old max!

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bought a 1993 spec Stumpy in September 1992…..exactly like this one

swingbing
    Free Member

Alright, not that chopper. But one like it. With stick shift (not literally)

clunker

Keep meaning to scan some old photos, I had one of these….

Only seems like yesterday I was saving my paper round money to fund it.

Karinofnine

Marin Bear Valley – loved that bike.

sheck

Yamaha DT175. I swapped it for my godfathers XBR500 a couple of years later. I’ve recently learned its sat unridden in his shed ever since…. I think it might need to be resurrected

breadcrumb

My first “proper” MTB, a British Eagle ZFX Two, Reynolds 531 frame, Tange big forks, finished in a lovely British Racing green.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I was onboard a 21″ Raleigh Lizard (my early teens).

Bought by my parents as I would “grow into it”.

20 years on I’d still not be tall enough for it.

stabilizers

Marin bear valley. Way too big for me if I recall. Progressed on to a cannondale m400 after that.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A db ascent for me too a blue one with spatter paint

scruzer
    Free Member

Great thread! Dawes Rough Trade. Bought to go touring in the Middle East. Lusted after Saracen, Kona and Cannondale.

andytherocketeer

A red 10sp Peugeot “racer” (kept that one at uni) and a Ridgeback Rapide 14sp road bike (didn’t keep that one at uni).

edit: the Peugeot was eventually half-inched from the uni bike sheds, while the Rapide is in my store room 20yrs later, and still ridable.

rmacattack
    Free Member

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A Raleigh Sabre

Like this

I sold it to a neighbour, I’m now hoping he still has it as I’d like to buy it back.

robarnold
    Free Member

A Raleigh Burner and my first trials iron – Yamaha TY 80. Classic

oldgit
    Free Member

I was racing a Chorus equiped Gios Evo
    Also had a Diamant Pro road bike.
    Wasn’t into MTB back then, but the missus and me had Raleigh something or others….steel burgundy things?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Another with a DB Ascent – in blue. Then a DB Apex in natural finish, killer looks with Smoke+Dart skinwalls 😆 Fond memories…. Both nicked by thieving scumbags during Hungarian winter – I couldn’t get into the garage because of the ice, how on earth did they???
    Now I’ve come over all nostalgic……..

Andy

From 1987 a Dawes from the Freemans catalogue seconds shop in Peterborough. 25″ frame (!), biopace, 7 speed rapidfire etc etc

Then in 1993 pne of the first Orange P7s made:

And then in 1998 a Kona Explosif

tandemwarriors

20 years ago? When pink lycra was made cool by Schmoo’s cycles?

Ahhhhhh, my eyes………..

samcamsdad

I was on one of these. think this was taken at the kielder classic 92

dangerousdan
    Free Member

I had one of these. Loved it to bits. Raced NEMBA XC and DH as a (fat) youth.

I now ride a Nomad but would love another razz on that Orange. Got nicked from the shed. B@$tards.

(not my pic BTW, borrowed from Retrobike)

matt_outandabout

Firstly a borrowed Clockwork and P7 prototype, while sailing with Orange sails from Lester.
    Then bought a Pink and Smoke Emmelle something or other.
    Followed by a ‘proper’ bike – an Al Carter Sacremento…

matt_outandabout

Off to get the scanner fired up, I remember where there are some pictures…

boblo
    Free Member

This and I still have it and commute on it:

brakes
    Free Member

Marin Palisades Trail
    like this but with purple bits instead of green, brake booster and Onza bar ends

elvisparsley
    Free Member

Working on the taxis, saving up for a mountain bike! Ended up with this Diamondback Apex and have looked after it – kept it nice and original as possible, even after thousands of miles. It’s done Helvellyn, Afan, commuting, touring etc. etc… Here’s a recent pic.
    My old bike

lordy
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d just taken delivery of a Fisher Prometheus, via a shop I’d worked for in the US, £600 F+F on special – more than I’d spent on any bike!

I then rode the Colorado trail on it.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i was riding a Gazelle, a 211/2 in frame– with gooseneck stem and mtb long seatpost– ace bike, campag record , 531 frame..

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Sracen Eiger Competition in the same lovely lavender hue as Chakaping’s Kili Flyer pictured a few pages back. It got nicked and was replaced with a shiny GT Karakoram in ‘Tequila sunrise’ paint. I loved that bike (still have it, albeit in pieces now and with a much-regretted respray).

swamp_boy

15 spd MBK, can’t recall the model, but it had a U brake behind the BB, which was designed by an evil genius to pick up mud, I can’t recall how many muddy bits I carried that through then tried to clear the cack out with a stick.

Changed it at the end of the year for a Raleigh Dyna tech, it was my only bike for quite a few years and I still ride it now and again for old time’s sake – well I still ride the frame, crank arms and front mech, all the other bits have been replaced over the years.

yunki
    Free Member

a Raleigh.. but what I really wanted was a Marin

they were like a years wages though 😕

asterix
    Free Member

I had a Saracen Tufftrax and the missus has a black and green Palisades Trail just like the in the pic above – still got it too:-)

takisawa2

This…

IMAG0510 by pten2106, on Flickr

Although it was british racing green, with a stem even longer than the one in the pic.
    Its still in use today, as my brothers runaround. When he gets rid it will be mine again. Christ knows why… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘Twenty years ago….What were you riding?’ is closed to new replies.