Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • TV/Flims that scared you as a kid
  • samuri
    Free Member

Cougar, could the cloned individuals be spotted by an inability to bend one or some of their fingers?

For me, the Daleks were pretty scary stuff but if you really wanted to put the shits up a kid in the 70’s, you’d make some public information films. I will guarantee now that there are many, many people in their fourties who today, still can’t run barefoot on a beach or attend an open water swimming session.

I apologise profusely for posting these links but they really should serve as a warning to public information film makers..

Look, really. If you’ve never seen this one, don’t watch it, it will ruin your life!
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_glass.htm

Death!
    http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/m.php?p=lonelywater1973&qpl=1

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y[/video]

Salems Lot WOW …..

Scared me shitless when i was a young un..
    Does now HE HE ! 😆

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Slaughter high. Apparently it’s a comedy horror.
    Not at the time.

stuey
    Free Member

Salems Lot made me take up prayer!

But Bug 1975 kept me away from phones and door handles for ages.

petrieboy

Worzel Gummage – clearly pure evil incarnate and the wheeled monkeys and headless witch in the wizard of oz. <shudders> And that pic of zelda is putting the shi7s up me now!!

bdab
    Free Member

Willy wonka & The Chocolate Factory. Had nightmares about the Oompa-Loompas For weeks after…

Cougar

Cougar, could the cloned individuals be spotted by an inability to bend one or some of their fingers?

That rings vague bells actually, but I couldn’t be sure either way. Where are you going with that?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Heh Muddy you o.k. mate

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

It sounds reasonably similar to “The invaders” which was made before you were born but might have been re-run to scare yet more children.

althepal

Watcher in the woods.. Still scares me!

stuey
    Free Member

Yeah the Invader – architect dude David Vincent(?) too tired to drive any further gets groped by ‘humans’ with a bad finger and glowey 50p bit. Class.

Northwind

Ghostwatch! I watched it with my brother, we were basically near heart failure by the end, tears of terror… At school the next day, all the chat was about Ghostwatch, and it turned out only 2 of us in our entire year were both allowed to stay up and watch the end, and had the moral fibre to tough it out, which made us both absolute legends. And that did go some way to making up for the fact I didn’t sleep at all for days afterwards and had some really interesting nightmares for ages after.

I got the DVD a couple of years back and watched it on Halloween, and it still puts the s**ts right up me 😆 Brilliant stuff.

that pic of zelda is putting the shi7s up me now!!

Yep really used to freak me out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Jesus I had to quickly scroll down past that little Salem fecker!! Reckon thats the winner from this thread!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

althepal was just scrolling through the thread to see if anyone had mentioned Watcher in the woods.

I’d like to see it again to see what I make of it as an adult.

desboy3
    Free Member

Another +1 for Zelda, typing her name just filled me with fear! The Incredible Hulk used to make me cry and hide behind the sofa when the transformation from David Banner took place.

jwt
    Free Member

+1 for ‘The Thing’.
    Not a good idea to watch aged 10……..

onandon
    Free Member

The fella from ‘The Black Hole’ Maximilian is a badass robot.

I was born in 1976 and the film released in 79 so I guess it would have been a few years later when I saw it on TV.

hels
    Free Member

Sapphire and Steel was v v scary.

Another vote for Nightmare on Elm Street. I had to get the train back to Tawa afterwards, and walk up the hill to my house all alone. Walked up the middle of the street I was so scared, and ran once the streetlights ran out.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was something else I should never have been allowed to watch.

stevemtb
    Free Member

The Burbs, how was that meant to be a family film??????

Someone brought Nightmare on Elm street on the final days in P6 or 7, lot of people not seen a horror at that point and the school got a lot of complaints!

mooman
    Free Member

Salems lot is a good call. The window tapping did it to me also.
    Evil Dead. Funny when u watch it now …. but when it first came out when i was about 12yrs old!!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

TuckerUK, this is it The Changes

sprootlet
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one mentioned the kiddy catcher from chitty chitty bang bang. He scared the bejesus out of me, I can smell you ………

Also won’t go near the sea after seeing Jaws
    Saw Poltergeist aged 14 and spent most of the film hiding behind the sofa.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Scary films that left a mark on me as a mid eighties early teenager…..

American Werewolf …. mostly the scene out on the moors, still creeps up in back of my mind out in the dark to this day.

The Fog…..oh God that scared me , still does out on dark foggy nights.

The Thing…..sinister, suspense and gore.

The Evil Dead…..funny now , not back then.

I agree with others on Salems Lot being scary but i watched it recently as it was on and wanted to capture the fear of yesteryear but it was hilarious , didn’t age well.

jeff

The public information film – “Rabies Means Death”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteRPXpjBzc

In fact, most of those films scared me!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one who was terrified of Zelda from Terrahawks. I was also scared of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi too. There was also an episode of Bergerac that terrified me because it had a hooded figure with a burnt face (I think).

I was also scared of pylons.

McHamish
    Free Member

I used to hide behind the sofa during the Doctor Who music…watching the programme was ok, I just didn’t like the music.

I also watched the body snatchers when I was about 10…Dad was looking after us one night and went out to get a video to keep us entertained. Didn’t like that film.

ChrisA66
    Free Member

TuckerUK – that sounds like Children of The Stones to me: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones).

OK, I was born in 1966 so early to late 70’s do it for me. I remember reading The Amityville Horror (at an age when I should have been reading stuff much less frightening). Anyway, the bit both in the book and film where the big pig is looking out of the attic window was pretty scary.

Does anyone remember an item on Nationwide (70’s ‘news’ programme) – about someone who had an Egyptian artefact in their house, and the dog god Sirrius comes ’round to steal it back. It was told as if it really happened, and to me (probably aged 7) it gave me nightmares for absolutley ages. Even though on the following evenings programme they apologised as they had so many ‘calls from upset parents! Happy days

lowey

I am so soft when it comes to horror / jumpy films. I even shit myself when the Waltons had a poltergeist.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Rupert’s blue mate and potato headed spaceman petrified me as a child.

Raggety? Terrified me too.

And this episode of Hammer made me almost piss my pants – Two Faces of Evil.

And finally – La Cabina – only ever shown once on British TV and not available on DVD (legally 😉 ) I wouldn’t close the door of telephone boxes behind me for years after.

I think those examples show that I am only really afraid of ‘real life’ situations – hitchhikers, telephone boxes etc. When I was a kid I could happily sit through film after film of gore – Evil Dead, I Spit on Your Grave, Flesheaters, Zombies etc – none of them really scared me.

MrBlond
    Free Member
    ChrisA66
    Free Member

… and ‘Blood on Satans Claw’ as well

z1ppy

Aside from the Dr. Who, the tales of the unexpected (had some good un’s & bad ones), it’s the Amityville films that scared me silly, still won’t watch them (or the remake). Though I’ve never been a horror fan…

Again I have a vague recollection of Cougars reminiscence,though I’d say it was from the late 70 early 80’s production, rather than Samuri’s earlier suggestion, but as it’s my memory, I could be very wide of the mark.

PS: Though I never found Worzel Gummidge to be scary, I was completly freaked out by the whole “change of head” thing though.

santacoops
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

This:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cR8Qj5iRE[/video]

Scared me witless that did.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

TuckerUK – that sounds like Children of The Stones to me: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones).

That’s the one! Well Done!

I think ‘the Fog’ must rate as one of the scariest films ever, truly a masterpiece, scares me shatless even now!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

z1ppy

PJM1974, I thought that an excellent series and was very disappointed they didn’t do the third and final series

Stoner
    Free Member

Couple more just come to me from the Twilight Zone film, 1983. I would have been 9 or 10 when watching it on TV

“It’s a good life”

“Terror at 20,000ft”

monkey_boy
    Free Member

heavent read the baove but two stick in my mind…

kids tv show called Terrhawks… withthis doll!

and ‘salems lot’ , my cousin made me wtach it when i was 7 it scared the living sh*t out of me!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘TV/Flims that scared you as a kid’ is closed to new replies.