Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Turkey for Family Hols: Good, bad, indifferent?
  • Alex

For my wife who likes sunshine, two kids (9 and 11) who love pools, slides, beaches, bit of adventure-y stuff and me who likes beer 🙂

We stopped going on summer hols outside of UK, but last two years weather has been plop, and I've promised we'll have some proper sunshine.

I heard some good things about Turkey in terms of kid friendliness, beaches, not being France, that sort of thing.

Any experiences? Ta.

Frankers
    Free Member

Main local beer is EFES which I love, not at lot else to say really.

WackoAK
    Free Member

If you can get hold of the Guardian from Saturday there was a huge feature on Turkey in the travel section.

Eggbox
    Free Member

I found the amount of hassle you get in the streets to buy tat/boat trips/food very annoying. I could rather sweepingly describe it as a less polished version of Greece. It was very VERY hot when we went.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I found the amount of hassle you get in the streets to buy tat/boat trips/food very annoying

+1

We were hassled so much it became painful and the young local men had no respect for females – seeing them as fair game for letching.

freddyg
    Free Member

Depends where you go.

The big resorts like Olu Deniz, Bodrum, Altincum, Fethiye, Marmaris etc, are all quite busy and, consequently, not particularly pleasant. Look slightly further afield and you'll find some nice places (Kalkan, Side, Kas, Turunc etc.. Dalyan used to be lovely, although I've heard it has developed somewhat).

Hotels or self catering? When are you thinking of going? (as mentioned, it gets extremely hot)

Alex

Thanks all.

Prefer Self Catering.

Range of times from late June till Sept.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is some great activity fun to be had though – we did an overnight trip to 'Pumukale' (sp) where they had hot springs and stuff and did some rafting/pool diving/mud plains stuff whilst we were there too.

john_drummer
    Free Member

never been, wouldn't go if you paid me.

MOT

besides, if it's owt like Crete, it'll be too hot for me

carlosg
    Free Member

We went to Marmaris on a £99 deal in with booking another holiday about 8 years ago and weren't overly struck , the hotel was fine a bit out of the way but the room was clean and had all the mod cons we needed , Marmaris beach was a let down , we had a fantastic Turkish bath/massage and in general the food was very tasty , being a bitter drinker I drank Effes dark.Outside the resort was nice though.

However the traders were so in your face that after a couple of days we took to wearing our travelling clothes to go out in .If you wore anything with a logo/label they were all over you like a rash. Apparently things have changed a bit and there are security people walking the pavements handing out fines to over zealous traders ,I've been told it's part of Turkeys get into the E.U. plan

liquid1000
    Free Member

I would highly recommend Neilson holidays, we went to Turkey last year to their Ortakent resort and have booked to go to Teos this year. I have to say the Turks were really nice where we were, as with most places if you go to a big noisy resort you are going to get the hawkers, boozers, etc, etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+ for Neilson! Superb holidays for the kids, all three of them 😉 and the wife. Top place.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Another +1 for Neilson (having experienced one of their holidays in Croatia). But also +1 for what the others said about the hassling etc. Mrs d and I took a last minute flyer out there a few years back…hated it. Amazing scenery, beaches, mountains etc but ultimately let down by the shit towns and villages.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

See that story a while ago about a man who buried his 15 year old daughter alive for talking to boys?

That was in Turkey.

TheTompy
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs had a fantastic time in Olu Deniz in September 2001 (despite 9/11 happening while we were there) but it was bloody hot – over 40 most days. The beach and lagoon there should be great for kids – I imagine, coz I haven't got any.

ton

me, the mrs and our daughter went to lykia world resort, just outside olu dinez last year.
    it was fantastic to be honest.
    the town is ok, but fethye just a bit further away was brilliant.

i like turkey, and turkish people too.

clubber
    Free Member

Yet another +1 for Neilson – can't rate them highly enough and we're going with them again this year (to Sivota for a change – anyone been? How's the mtbing)

I've been to Ortakent near Bodrum three times and it's brilliant. You can even mtb! Not particularly techy but the guides are usually 'proper' mtbers and will show you the more technical stuff if you ask. The hotel, food, activities and general atmosphere are all great. There's no hassling because you're in a pretty enclosed area.

clubber
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob – Member
    See that story a while ago about a man who buried his 15 year old daughter alive for talking to boys?
    That was in Turkey.

yeah, best stay here where's there's never any violence 🙄

theotherjonv

Wouldn't go if you paid me. I work with folks from all over Europe and of all of them, the Turks are the most unreasonable, rude, arrogant bunch i can say I've ever had the chance to meet.

Cyprus, much better.

saleem
    Free Member

Went a few years ago to Patara with my eldest son and exwife, had a great time, lovely people, white white beaches, your better going south though as it's nicer,we hired a taxi for the day to take us to some little coastal towns, kas and kalkan £70 for the whole day,he waited while we went shopping,lunch and for dinner, try travelzoo they have always deals for Turkey.

dorset knob, see that guy who banged his daughters,got them up the duff,killed them and buried them in the garden… that was Gloucester, Mr F West!!!

Alex

Thanks all. I'll check out Neilson.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

yeah, best stay here where's there's never any violence

dorset knob, see that guy who banged his daughters,got them up the duff,killed them and buried them in the garden… that was Gloucester, Mr F West!!!

That wasn't culturally-sanctioned though. This guy got his brother-in-law round to help, then they all went down the pub for a pat on the back from their mates.

Just makes me sick, that's all.

Anyway, who wants to go to Gloucester?

lexiekay
    Free Member

We went on a family holiday to Akyaka I think it was. Absolutely loved it, family friendly beach, quiet small town, next to a nature reserve. The best bit was there was a shallow river with floating restaurants on it, which we thought was great. And no hassle until we went into Marmaris, which I would avoid if possible. Also did a boat trip down the river at Dalyan to the beach where they have loggerhead turtles, which was also great…
    Anyway, had similar family holidays in various parts of Greece, Cyprus and Crete, and Turkey was the best.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Turkey for Family Hols: Good, bad, indifferent?’ is closed to new replies.