Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Turbo trainer for MTB?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

anyone got any recommendations for a Turbo that will suit an MTB tyre??any experience of using one??

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Will be very noisey on a mtb tyre I’m told, although I’ve not used a mtb on one before, personally.
    I’d put a slick on.

StuF

I’m using a one (cant remember the make) but I’ve got a spare wheel with a cheap slick that I pop on when I want to use the turbo.

Just make sure it can be adjusted for 26″ wheels. I wouldn’t consider using a knobly it’ll be awful

Rip
    Free Member

An MTB tyre just won’t work.

If you’re going to be changing tyres I’d strongly recommend the Continental Trainer tyre. They do both 700c and 26″.

You can always buy an old wheel and use it just for the trainer.

That said, it doesn’t really matter what bike you use on a trainer. I have a Computrainer permanently set up with a Cinelli road bike. I’ve never ridden it on the road, just the trainer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

where’s that joke jpg of the turbo trainer with the type running on a log?

njee20
    Free Member

Minoura RDA runs off the rim rather than the tyre, so you can use any tyre you fancy.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Don’t tell anyone this; get yourself an old road bike and a Tacx Flow 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

…turbo will shread ur mtb knobbly in just a few mins ….momentum of fly-wheel and or magnetic resistance at the roller….depending on whicy turbo you buy.

You’ll need a cheap slick, no you don’t need a turbo specific tyre regardless of the trend….2nd wheel and cassette tool handy tho.

Much easier to go the winter hack-turbo combo route IMO, no farting with MTB.

Also, once you become conditioned to the turbo take care when getting out of the saddle to practice sprints coz it’s easy to snap spokes.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Oh if you do use a tyre type, make sure to disconnect your rear brake, trust me your only stupid enough to do it once but once is enough.

richmtb

Minoura RDA runs off the rim rather than the tyre, so you can use any tyre you fancy.

+1 I have one, works fine with nobbly tyres, ideal for MTBs

MikeWW
    Free Member

Not had any problems with a normal MTB tyre but a bit noisy

amplebrew

I’ve got a Tacx 26″ turbo tyre tyre on our turbo bike.

It gets used everyday and has hardly worn.

Cougar

Just had a look at that RDA out of curiosity – says it’s “not compatible with Disc specific rims.” Wouldn’t that rule it out for most MTB wheels? (Or are most rims dual-use for all practical purposes?)

wwaswas

the Minoura needs a brakling surface to run on.

it’s been around since disks were a bit ‘new fangled’.

if you end up having to buy a wheel with a brakign surface you might as well just get any old one and fit a slick…

cynic-al
    Free Member

BW – blown tyre?

AndyRT
    Free Member

get a turbo specific tyre, as road slicks wear out really fast! And then go Bang, and then your dog will jump out of his skin and send the telly flying, which will leave you with no bed as the wife will have wanted to watch desperate housewives or something, and you just ruined her evening, and the dog is already in the dog house, which leaves you in the shed…..maybe.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer for MTB?’ is closed to new replies.