Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless tyres (how long should they stay up?)
  • ceejay64
    Free Member

Hello; i have just changed my tubeless tyres from Bontrager xr4/xr3 to Wtb Vigilante/trail boss. After a few days i have noticed the Wtb’s are slowly losing air , where as the Bontragers did’nt lose any at all. Is this normal?
    Many thanks
    Chris

Denis99
    Free Member

I would pump them up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall and leave them overnight.

Re check the pressure in the morning, if no significant drop in pressure then let down to your prefered pressure and just keep checking each day for pressure drop,

If the pressure still drops, add some more stans and pump back up to maximum, leave overnight.

Just keep monitoring really.

My Bonty XR4 & 3 ‘s lose a little pressure over say a week, but nothing major.

sandwicheater

Found new tyres have the odd hole that fills in over time the sealant. Riding has for me, been the best fix. Never had an issue after a few rides.

If the problem persists, re-fit again and check for any damage/dirt on bead/rim or on tape/valve.

If the problem still persist, well it must mean your a bad person.

EDIT: In regards how long should they stay up, not touched my set up for 2 months.

ceejay64
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, how much sealant do you recommend?

spooky_b329

Do the stans shuffle…take a look on youtube. It helps cover the sidewalls with sealant.

DezB
    Free Member

Took my bike down from the garage to get it for sale and the Michelin tyre had stayed up, firm for about a year untouched! The Kenda on the other wheel was flat as a pancake though. Normally use Hutchiinsons and they hold up well, couple of psi to add before a ride.

whitestone
    Free Member

I find that tyres lose pressure fairly quickly during the first day or two but as Denis99 says keep pumping them up and possibly add more sealant. The temptation is to use as little sealant as possible but you need to ensure that there’s a coating across the entire inner surface is covered.

Once they stay up for a few days pressure loss tends to be about the same as tubed, you just need to check before you ride especially if you don’t use them for several weeks.

kerley
    Free Member

Different with different tyres. Continentals (Protection) tend to loose pressure over a week whereas the Geax I used before stayed up for months.

nickc

Once you’ve fitted them, the best way to make sure they stay up is to go for a ride.

I put about “that” much in the tyre before I fit it.

cp

Until you’ve ridden them, possibly a couple of times, they’ll often loose pressure. The sealant needs splashing around for a good amount of time with some tyres.

benpinnick

Wtb tyres are quite holey – they can take a while to seal up.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve found Bonty tyres to be the best for holding pressure between rides, usually only a psi or two over a week. The Maxxis tyres on the other bike lose twice as much! Doesn’t bother me anyway as I check the pressures before every ride anyway, as long as they stay up when I’m riding 😀

ceejay64
    Free Member

Put a bit more sealant in and went for a quick spin. Seems to have cracked it now. Thanks for the help 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyres (how long should they stay up?)’ is closed to new replies.