Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tubeless puncture doesn't seal shocker!
  • Mugboo

Got a High Roller 60a on a Flow rim and the tyre has plenty off tread left. For the 2nd time I’ve punctured it by whacking it off a rock.
    Each time it’s been nicked between the treads. The first time it sealed eventually and I then pumped it up, this time no seal 🙁

It’s not been on for 6 months and there was still some gunk coming out though admittedly it must now be low after 2 punctures.
    I’ve used Stans gunk.
    Both nicks look v small.

Both impacts would have punctured a tube too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I put a hole in a similar place after whacking a Hans Dampf off a Snowdon drainage gulley. The hole was just too big to seal, so I ended up cutting some sidewall off an old tyre and gluing it on the inside of the tyre and then refilling with stans. It took a couple of rides, but it did eventually seal and I do still have a bit of mud which is glued to the outside of my tyre from where the stans used to squeeze out.

Mugboo

I’ll take it of today and have look.

br
    Free Member

So you punctured and eventually it sealed – at what point did you think, maybe it used up all the sealant… 🙄

Yet another – Tubeless user fail.

zippykona

My puncture sealed after 3 days.
    I now take sandwiches and a good book on every ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tubeless tyre?

Should be repairable either way.

d45yth
    Free Member

Top up sealant and look-up puncture plugs. Be thankful the hole’s between the tread, the ones you can get on the edge of the bead are the ones that are tricky to fix.

Mugboo

Yep, it’s sealed overnight while flat. I’ve added more sealant and pumped it up to 20psi, I’ll add more tonight.

Think I’ll join ya with a good book and sarnies 🙂

amt27
    Free Member

in my experience with tubeless, on and off over 3 years,
    the sealant goes “off” after a couple of months and I found the crystals combine to form a lump of rubber with the tyre, the crystals are needed to seal the holes so the remaining fluid is generally useless,

Mugboo

Am I expecting too much after watching the video of them running over nails and ramming a screwdriver through!

rc200f8
    Free Member

Panaracer tubeless outside repair kit for me, fixes punctures quicker than replacing a tube & if youre running a stans type kit you dont want to be trying to seperate your tyre from the rim strip on the trail as this causes dummy spitting moments & sealant everywhere. It even fixes the tiny pinch flat holes at the bead.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yep, leave the wheel on the bike,tyre on the rim and fix it in minutes with that kit rc2 just posted. The faffless way to fixing punctures on bicycles.

Carrying a tube encase of a big slash or hole is always a good thing. Still waiting for that to happen 6-7 years on.

MarkN
    Free Member

Gashes from rock, slate and flint etc are more of a challenge for a tubeless sealant. Making sure that you have enough in your tyre is always a good start. If you know that you had a bit of a gash last time then the sealant needed topping up. It may have sorted the recent event but we will never know. As has been said look up tubeless repair kits/sticky string. These are great for when the hole is more that just a little thorn type punctures.

IME 6 months is as much as I would expect the sealant to last with out being topped up. Removable cores are great for this. I tend to stick a bit more in at 3 months.

If you can no get the tyre to seal trail side then tube it to get back home. Do not forget to check for thorns that may have sealed but still be in the tyre. The tyre can easily be patched when at home with a tube patch/piece of old inner tube to make it good for tube less again. Some use super glue but I have had great results with vulcanising solution.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Am I expecting too much after watching the video of them running over nails and ramming a screwdriver through!

theres probably 20 times as much video of that just killing the tyre 😆

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Had this at coed y brenin today- put a ~5mm slash in the rear tyre (2.25 nobby nic) on the mbr trail. It just would not seal- the sealant in the tyre was just topped up yesterday so nice and new. Didn’t have a tubeless repair kit and didnt really want to stick a tube in as I didn’t have a rim strip to use. Rode down the fire road 20mins back to the centre with about 10 psi in the tyre- when I got back to the carpark I pumped it up again to find the bloody thing had sealed!!

I guess sometimes riding it is the best way to get it to ‘nit’ together

Mugboo

Thankyou one and all. Not quite the perfect solution but I’ll buy a kit and persevere .

Northwind

Slits don’t generally seal well, puncture holes do… I guess just the way the sides mesh back together, or something. Wee standard glue patch over the inside will fix it permanently if you want to be sure.

And as you say, would’ve punctured a tube too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless puncture doesn't seal shocker!’ is closed to new replies.